Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 01:50 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
This term doesn't make sense in regard to modern DNA science.
Nope. Various genetic ancestry companies assign nationality groups like "Italian" to people's DNA ancestry profiles. They can even tell jews from gentiles, genetically.

Quote:
but genetic communities have a scientific root in shared common ancestry that is demonstrable using modern technology.
No. How do they come up with their ancestry DNA percentages? They arbitrarily decide what ethnic groups are distinct, take DNA samples for their database, and then compare your DNA to those samples.

They invented that "Nigerian" is an ethnic group, when that is nonsense.

A lot of black American people are running saying "Wow, I'm 33% Nigerian", when 400 ago there was no such thing as "Nigeria". No concept of that, and no such people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 03:08 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. How do they come up with their ancestry DNA percentages? They arbitrarily decide what ethnic groups are distinct, take DNA samples for their database, and then compare your DNA to those samples.
Genetic Communities don't have percentages and that's not how they are determined.

Genetic Communities are first established by identifying a large cluster or network of people who all share DNA. It's a mass triangulation of shared DNA. Then they look at the family trees of the people who are in this network to find the common source of all the shared DNA. Even if you don't have a family tree, if you're a part of the GC, you get a result for that GC. They are highly accurate and reliable, and not the same as the percentage results.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:43 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Nope. Various genetic ancestry companies assign nationality groups like "Italian" to people's DNA ancestry profiles. They can even tell jews from gentiles, genetically.

A lot of black American people are running saying "Wow, I'm 33% Nigerian", when 400 ago there was no such thing as "Nigeria". No concept of that, and no such people.
And those specific companies are incorrect. Most of the major services have categorized their regions to reflect the reality that ethnicity =/= genetic populations. Ancestry.com has separate regions for North Italy and Southern Italy as well as Mainland Greece and the Aegean Islands. MyHeritage.com places Southern Italians and Greece as one region(not perfect, but hopefully improved soon) North Italy is a separate region again.

Terminology in these discussions matter. The reason these tests confuse people is that they don't keep terms like "nationality" "ethnicity" "genetic populations" distinct in their understanding or conversations with others.

And yes, commercial testing companies and DIY tools can easily tell most gentiles from Jewish populations because Western Jews are genetically distinct from their gentile neighbors in most of Europe. Of course, Greek Islanders and Southern Italians/Sicilians do have genetic similarity to Western Jews despite being from being different ethnic groups because what seems to be a shared core ancestry dating back to Roman Imperial times. Southern Italians, Greeks Islanders, and Western Jews have had large diasporas, meaning they could have many modern nationalities they identify with as well as their ethnic identity.

Make sense?

Old 08-28-2023, 04:15 PM

14,873 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:

I don't see where they invented Nigeria as an ethnic group. For example, Ancestry.com, explains this in the information provided on the site.

"Nigeria
Primarily located in: Central African Republic, Nigeria

Also found in: Benin, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Liberia, Niger, Sierra Leone

Our Nigeria region takes its name from the most populous country in Africa, where more than 168 million people live in an area about twice the size of California. In fact, Nigeria has six cities with populations over 1 million (the United States has nine). From its tropical south to the arid north, Nigeria as a country is a concept and product of colonialism, bringing together more than 250 ethnic groups within fairly arbitrary borders.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:32 PM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurall88 View Post
A big pet peeve of mine is when people confuse their nation of origin with their ethnicity or 'race' ect.

Germany is not a 'race', Mexico is not a 'race', France is not a 'race'
Holland, is not a 'race', Cambodia is not a 'race', America, is not a 'race' and so forth.

And I get annoyed when I hear people say

"Oh I'm part Irish, and part Jewish, and part Native American'

Ok, that makes absolutely zero since to me.

That would be like someone State side saying 'I'm part Texan, part Floridian and part Oregon'...huh??

Question - Say if 'white couple' from Britain, moves to Angola, a nation State on the continent of Africa, they move there, have kids, when their kids grow up and asked who they are, are they

1. Part African, and part Britain? (Those are nations States, not genealogy, not genetics)

2. A Britain, living in Africa (But even that doesn't make sense since now days one can be 'Black' and a British citizen, who moves back to Angola, Africa)
Citizenship is not genealogy either)

3. Do they describe 'who they are' in terms of religious affiliation?, political affiliation?

Just saying, in the year 2021 and beyond, seems the definition of what a person is is becoming more and more detached from the former ways of defining people.

And in closing, sorry, but being part Irish (A State nation, not a ethnic group) and part Navajo (a tribe based on culture, not genealogy) makes zero since to me.

Maybe someone can enlighten me a bit, always willing to listen and learn.
There is only one human race on planet earth.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:45 PM

501 posts, read 167,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Actually Europeans, Jewish, and Native Americans are all very genetically distinct from one another. Jews especially are among some of the most genetically unique populations in the world. And Europeans and Native Americans are distinct enough from each other to be called different races. I wouldn't consider Irish a race, but it is an ethnicity, as are other areas/countries of Europe, it is not the same as different US states at all. They have longer histories of defined cultures and identities - and ethnicity is not defined by DNA.

How they define themselves is really up to them. If they are citizens of Angola, then they are Angola citizens of British origin, so they may identify as both. And they may have retained their British citizenship too, so they may just define themselves as British who happen to live in Angola. I don't know, you'd have to ask them, and it probably depends on the specifics.

People are allowed to define themselves as more than one thing, and sometimes it may depend on the context. I only say things like "I'm part Italian" in genealogical terms, if that's the topic of conversation.

Certainly, I think how one defines oneself can be complicated, but I think that has always been the case, especially for people of mixed race.

Most people would consider Irish an ethnicity. It has a unique culture, history, religion, language/accent, and other things that define ethnicity.

ethnicity
noun, plural eth·nic·i·ties.
an ethnic group; a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like
[url]https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ethnicity[/url]
Texan is a race.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:32 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by o'darby View Post
texan is a race.
That is funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy