Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 08:15 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Not that part, this part.

Basically one could have more cells from one parent and therefore share more common ancestry from that parent. They don’t have an identical genetic makeup.
I don't believe this is accurate, the egg has already been fertilized by a sperm or it wouldn't be a zygote by definition. EVERY cell in the zygote is already a 50/50 mix of the DNA of both parents. The "parent" cell they are referring to is not literally "from one of the parents of the twins" it means the original cell in the zygote that carried the mutation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 08:53 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
...to have different percentages of heritage? Why would that happen? I have not had an ancestry DNA done yet, but two of my siblings did.
The best way I've seen it described (on here, I think) is to think of DNA as stew, with each vegetable representing an ethnicity - Greek, Italian, Irish, etc. Your mother's DNA might be made up of 50% carrots, 40% corn, and 10% peas. Your father's DNA is made up of 60% potatoes and 40% beans.

Each child inherits half of their DNA from their mother and half from their father. A ladle is scooped into your mother's DNA and then into your father's DNA and poured in a bowl for each child. Each child will receive a different amount of carrots, corn, peas, potatoes, and beans in their bowls.

For example:
Child A: 24% carrots, 20% corn, 6% peas, 35% potatoes, 15% beans
Child B: 30% carrots, 18% corn, 2% peas, 40% potatoes, 10% beans
Child C: 40% carrots, 10% corn, 0% peas, 28% potatoes, 22% beans

Hope this helps!

Old 11-01-2021, 11:54 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
...to have different percentages of heritage? Why would that happen? I have not had an ancestry DNA done yet, but two of my siblings did.
Commercial ancestry test results are often inaccurate.

Quote:
There’s a big chunk of data—actually the majority—that these genetics-testing services don’t use.
Quote:
So even if a test says you are 50 percent European, really it can only report that half of those SNPs of your DNA looks to be European.
https://now.tufts.edu/articles/pulli...ancestry-tests

Quote:
According to Ancestry, I’ve suddenly become a lot more British

Ancestry’s DNA testing service originally told me I was 8 percent British. When I logged back in a year later, my results had significantly changed.
Quote:
My original report indicated that 8 percent of my ancestry came from Great Britain, but that number was now 71 percent. Iberia and Scandinavia no longer showed up.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/06/acco...-british-.html

Old 11-02-2021, 03:53 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The best way I've seen it described (on here, I think) is to think of DNA as stew, with each vegetable representing an ethnicity - Greek, Italian, Irish, etc. Your mother's DNA might be made up of 50% carrots, 40% corn, and 10% peas. Your father's DNA is made up of 60% potatoes and 40% beans.

Each child inherits half of their DNA from their mother and half from their father. A ladle is scooped into your mother's DNA and then into your father's DNA and poured in a bowl for each child. Each child will receive a different amount of carrots, corn, peas, potatoes, and beans in their bowls.

For example:
Child A: 24% carrots, 20% corn, 6% peas, 35% potatoes, 15% beans
Child B: 30% carrots, 18% corn, 2% peas, 40% potatoes, 10% beans
Child C: 40% carrots, 10% corn, 0% peas, 28% potatoes, 22% beans

Hope this helps!

I was going to say the same. It's the best explanation that people can understand. You can substitute alphabet soup for stew. They won't ever get the same combination.

The OP should do their DNA at ancestry when it goes for $59 sale so they can see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
"That's because so-called identical twins pick up genetic mutations in the womb, as their cells weave new strands of DNA and then split into more and more cells."

I've been watching a few reality shows with identical twins. One thing I've noticed is that one is usually taller than the other.

If you look hard enough, you'll notice other things that are different, like one will have freckles, the other doesn't. One will have a mole or two on their face or body, the other doesn't or acne.

Look at identical Siamese twins. Some do not look exactly alike either. I don't know if that's something different because the egg didn't split right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I don't understand how that would lead to differences in ancestry in identical twins. A few mutations don't seem likely to change that.

We have a thread for identical twins taking autosomal DNA tests, the differences in ethnicity could be small like was mentioned, it also depends on how the computer interprets the output.

Thread is linked below for anyone interested in it.

Identical twins get different Ancestry DNA results

Old 11-02-2021, 12:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I don't believe this is accurate, the egg has already been fertilized by a sperm or it wouldn't be a zygote by definition. EVERY cell in the zygote is already a 50/50 mix of the DNA of both parents. The "parent" cell they are referring to is not literally "from one of the parents of the twins" it means the original cell in the zygote that carried the mutation.
So you don’t believe science? Try some additional research. There is a wealth of scientific information that explains it.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:17 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So you don’t believe science? Try some additional research. There is a wealth of scientific information that explains it.
https://www.britannica.com/science/zygote

I am 99% sure I am right about this, and you misunderstood what they meant by "parent cell." NO CELL in a developing zygote is from one parent or the other. Again, by definition a zygote is the union of the gamete cells; and egg and a sperm. Neither of those component parts split and develop on their own in a woman's womb, they are both haploid cells.

Last edited by westsideboy; 11-02-2021 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-02-2021, 09:03 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
We all inherit 50% from each parent, but we don't inherit the same 50% as our siblings, and we don't inherit exactly 25% from each grandparent, or 12.5% from each great grandparent, etc. You might inherit 19% from a paternal grandfather, for example, while your sibling might inherit 30% from the same paternal grandfather. As such, the ethnicities we inherit from those ancestors will vary too. So let's say that paternal grandfather was of full Greek descent - that means your Greek percentage would be about 19%, while your sibling would get 30%. The further back you go, the more it can vary.
That is NOT true.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:06 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
So, boys will have more of their father's DNA? Admittedly, I am trying to simplify this.

And cousins ands half sibs are closer that most think?
No. Girls can have more of their fathers DNA.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:59 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
That is NOT true.
It is for autosomal DNA, which is what we're talking about in regards to ethnicity reports.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:01 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
No. Girls can have more of their fathers DNA.
That's not true. We all inherit 50% of our autosomal DNA from each parent.

Girls inherit an X chromosome from their fathers that boys do not - however, boys inherit a Y chromosome from their father that girls do not. So it's a trade off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy