Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2021, 04:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times

Advertisements

I built a large tree under a friend's Ancestry account. She let me use her user i.d. and password, so everything is under her name.

I became hooked and I now what to strike out on my own, with my own paid subscription. I bought myself a gift account on Black Friday that will activate on January 1.

I know I can download a gedcom but I believe there's a way to download the documents (pictures, newspaper articles, etc.) as well, with some genealogy software. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ideally, I want to download my entire tree with all documents, and then upload it back to my own Ancestry account.

I don't mind paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 06:11 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times
To the best of my knowledge, Ancestry does not offer a process to transfer a tree from one account to another. If you still have access to your friend's account, there should be a couple ways to accomplish what you want to do.

The simplest way would be to go to the "Sharing" tab on the tree in your friend's account, share it to your new account and give yourself editor access. The tree would show up in both accounts and you could edit it from either account. My sister and I use this method to jointly build and maintain our tree.

I use Family Tree Maker software on my computer. If I sync the software to my Ancestry tree, all information is maintained on my computer as well as on Ancestry. I believe there are other genealogy software programs that do the same thing. If you purchased this or similar software that syncs to Ancestry, you should be able to log in to your friend's account and sync the tree and all documents to your computer. After logging out from your friend's account, you should be able to log in to your account and sync the tree to your Ancestry account. I have not tried doing this, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:54 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I wish Ancestry had an easy way to do this.

I want to put the information from my paternal UK tree onto a main tree in the US Ancestry instead of typing it in all over again with sources, photos, notes, etc. I've got it way back so there would be hundreds of entries to type in. I wonder if joining their World Tree format would accomplish it.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:27 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I built a large tree under a friend's Ancestry account. She let me use her user i.d. and password, so everything is under her name.

I became hooked and I now what to strike out on my own, with my own paid subscription. I bought myself a gift account on Black Friday that will activate on January 1.

I know I can download a gedcom but I believe there's a way to download the documents (pictures, newspaper articles, etc.) as well, with some genealogy software. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ideally, I want to download my entire tree with all documents, and then upload it back to my own Ancestry account.

I don't mind paying for it.
Family Tree Maker and RootsMagic are the only options that will download/upload Ancestry trees complete with media. You will have to log into your friend's account within the software, download the tree, unsync it (so the downloaded tree is no longer linked to the online tree), then log into your own account to upload it as a new tree.

I know RootsMagic will let you do the initial download in the free version, but to continue syncing (and therefore probably to upload as well), you'll need to buy the paid version.

Family Tree Maker is more expensive than RootsMagic, but personally I prefer it. RootsMagic does not have a bulk "one click" sync after the initial download, though I suppose that doesn't matter much if you won't continue to the use the software and you're just using it for this one purpose (but once you've bought it, you might as well continue to use it so although FTM is more expensive, I really do recommend it over RM).

Old 12-06-2021, 10:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
I think I just did this.

My angel started a tree for me and then ran it through (dunno) creating a GEDCOM file.
It was mailed to me and I uploaded it (following my own edit for a how to process)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy