Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 04:58 PM

16 posts, read 9,333 times

Advertisements

I live in California and most Hispanics around here look Mexican which is pretty similar to native Americans (I've been exposed to Natives in Arizona)

But recently traveling around Florida and NYC I've discovered people who you would have never guessed were Hispanic because by looking at them you assume they are black or white, that is until they open their mouth and disclose the fact they are Hispanic.

It does not make sense to me how people that look like all races is lumped into one category.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:29 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Some reading here may help understand that the term "Hispanic" applies to much more than Mexico or the "Native American" tribes of SW United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

Old 01-17-2022, 07:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Hispanic is not a race. It's an ethnicity. It is a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. It's related to Spanish colonialism.

The term was first introduced in the U.S. census in 1970. Prior to that time Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and Cubans were identified as white.

Interesting history lesson: https://www.latinousa.org/2015/05/22...-of-hispanics/

Old 01-18-2022, 05:59 AM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy.murray View Post
I live in California and most Hispanics around here look Mexican which is pretty similar to native Americans (I've been exposed to Natives in Arizona)

But recently traveling around Florida and NYC I've discovered people who you would have never guessed were Hispanic because by looking at them you assume they are black or white, that is until they open their mouth and disclose the fact they are Hispanic.

It does not make sense to me how people that look like all races is lumped into one category.
I reccomend reading the book Making Hispanics to understand this. In short, the use of the "hispanic" label is purely political. It's used by organizations to appropriate resources, funding, and make political claims. It's been 40 years since the introduction of "hispanic" ethnicity, and it has always been fake. It isn't supposed to make any sense.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:05 AM

This is actual very relevant to Genealogy research because a lot of people wonder why there is no public record of "hispanics". Mexicans and Puerto Ricans wonder why all of their ancestors were listed as "white" in all records.

"Hispanic" is a concept that did not historically exist. In the United States people were white or black, and persons of Spanish origin have always historically been considered white. There was no such thing as a separate "hispanic" minority group before the 1980s - and that idea was politically fabricated.

Last edited by Tritone; 01-18-2022 at 06:19 AM..

Old 01-18-2022, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Hispanic is not a race. It's an ethnicity. It is a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. It's related to Spanish colonialism.

The term was first introduced in the U.S. census in 1970. Prior to that time Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, and Cubans were identified as white.

Interesting history lesson: https://www.latinousa.org/2015/05/22...-of-hispanics/
Not 1970. Nobody in the 70s would have understood what a "hispanic" was. 1980 was when it first appeared. And in the 80s, people were saying "what's a hispanic?". The concept didn't really catch on until the 90s.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:28 AM

5,319 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy.murray View Post

Taking your argument on its surface and assuming that you're not trying to make a political statement, I'll say I agree with your general argument.

Using the term "Hispanic" is painting with too broad of a brush for what we use it for. I look at my wife's family - the father's lineage is Mexican (native) and the mother's lineage is Mexican via Spanish colonialism. By the definition she is half Hispanic.

Before man-made borders the native Mexicans are of the same lineage as those who we refer to as Native Americans. Some of my friends, through my wife, who are of Mexican ancestry have ties to Native American tribes.

I find this stuff fascinating and I also wonder at what point census data such as Hispanic and African American are no longer relevant to anything. (I don't make that as a political statement)

Old 01-18-2022, 07:24 AM

9,284 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I always just thought Hispanic referred to one of the countries where Spanish is primary language- no more no less.

To refer to Hispanic as any sort of "race" is inaccurate.

Races have been defined as four: White/Caucasian, Mongoloid/Asian, Negroid/Black, and Australoid- most of which are assessed by general observation. Many people represent more than one category.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:42 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Not 1970. Nobody in the 70s would have understood what a "hispanic" was. 1980 was when it first appeared. And in the 80s, people were saying "what's a hispanic?". The concept didn't really catch on until the 90s.
This is interesting.

In the Los Angeles area in the 1970s and 80s, the first term I remember hearing was "Chicano," but it was limited. For instance, the media referred to Spanish-speaking Mexicans in the more urban neighborhoods as Chicanos. In my public elementary school there were English-speaking kids with Spanish last names, some of whom had darker skin than others, but no one called them Chicanos or anything else.

And I still recall the first time I heard someone refer to himself as "Latino," it was about 1984. I remember thinking it was a more pleasant-sounding word than Chicano.

I really don't remember when "Hispanic" became so prevalent. I think it first started showing up on questionnaires and surveys, along with "White, non-Hispanic." Since I'm not Hispanic in any sense, I didn't pay a lot of attention, but I imagine those English-speaking kids with Spanish last names I grew up with had to wonder if they were now to think of themselves as "Hispanic" rather than "White." That had to have been weird.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The OP joined yesterday, made 16 posts (several about ethnicity) and is now not a member.
Moderators: Please do not close or delete this thread! This is very relevant to genealogy research in the United States.

People will not find any "hispanics" in their genealogy research (not even in Texas history), and it needs to be understood why. Traditionally in the United States people were white or black, there wasn't a concept of a separate "hispanic" minority group before very recently.

Last edited by Tritone; 01-18-2022 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy