Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 05:29 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Someone from Sweden is disappointed to find that their DNA is Swedish? You say you have olive skin and hazel eyes....just like your mom. Well there's your answer! 50% of your genes came from your mom. There are so many genes and they're either dominate or recessive. I'm the only one in my family with blue eyes. My sister has green eyes and blonde hair. No one in our immediate family has either one. No one else has blue eyes. Why? Genetics.
I was the only brunette in the family (I was the first of five) and didn't look like either of my parents. Found old photographs and I look exactly like my paternal great grandmother.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:04 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Haplogroups would tell you nothing about your appearance. About a third of African-American men have European paternal haplogroups, as just one example. That doesn't change the color of their skin. I met someone through testing who was adopted from Jamaica, extremely dark, has 97% African ethnicity according to his report, but nevertheless a European haplogroup common in England.

And royal families are seldom a good indicator of national characteristics, since they tend to mix outside their country. Queen Sylvia of Sweden, for example, is the product of a German father and Brazilian mother.

Lots of famous Swedes are dark looking, like filmmaker Ingmar Bergman, who had very dark hair. Did he think he wasn't Swedish?
That was one of my points. Brown hair, dark hair and also brown eyes are common in Sweden.

In some rare cases, knowing one's haplogroup could explain elements of one's appearance. 40-45% of Balt males have the N haplogroup, for example. A few of them have very subtle Asiatic features, for example.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:53 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I do not know what to make of it. I'm kind of disappointed with my Ancestry result. Im born in raised in Sweden. My parents are as well. We don't know anybody who could potentially be born outside of Scandinavia or Finland. But here is the thing. I have an olive skin tone, hazel eyes and medium brown hair. I look anything but Swedish.
Same here. I used 23 And Me, and got the results I expected.

I'm Swedish on my mother's side, and she had brown eyes. But no exotic blood to be found, not even Saami.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...ed-swedes.html

Old 06-16-2022, 10:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
As if all, or the majority of Swedes, look like what you are implying they look like. There are huge variations.

But, I think the DNA tests are BS anyway. I read somewhere there are about 1800 or so different types of DNA strands, or whatever if was, and they only test about 300. It's a very limited test and mostly not worth it. They are only good for finding lost relatives (provided, of course, those relatives are also on ancestry.com and did the DNA test).
My maternal grandfather was from Norway, I traced his family back to the 14th century. He had wavy dark hair, olive skin and blue eyes. My maternal grandmother was from Gotland and had light brown hair, fair skin and brown eyes. As far as the DNA results on ancestry, it was wrong for years but over time their technology must have improved because lately it's become very accurate for all of my ancestors.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:49 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Actually you can. Your great-great grandfather's siblings are going to have the same ancestors as he did (or 1/2 if they are 1/2 sibs.) Using DNA testing to connect to other living people descendanted from your gggrandfather's siblings can help you break through the "brick walls" in paper trail genealogy if they have records you don't.

This happens literally all the time, it is what genealogists do, and why genetic genealogy tools are useful.

They say relatives up to the 4th degree is what is sort of reliable. That is your great great grandparents, but not their decendants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

Wrong again. And the ancestors of your great great grandfather's siblings are the same as your great great grandfather's ancestors... siblings have the same ancestors. It's essentially because of this that you can find descendants of those siblings among your DNA matches to confirm descent from their parents/ancestors. I have discovered the previously unknown parents of 2 different 3rd great grandmothers, and one 4th great grandmother through my DNA matches. Just because you obviously don't know how to do this doesn't mean it's not possible.

What I said above.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:33 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In some rare cases, knowing one's haplogroup could explain elements of one's appearance. 40-45% of Balt males have the N haplogroup, for example. A few of them have very subtle Asiatic features, for example.
I'm not sure where you got this information but it's a common misconception that circulates continually. There is a strong propensity for customers to over-interpret their DNA results in ways that are not intended and not possible from the science. Haplogroups have nothing to do with appearance. Two people with the same haplogroup can look completely different. And an individual's haplogroup was inherited from someone who lived thousands of years ago, from whom you likely inherited zero autosomal DNA. Meanwhile all your other ancestors on other branches of your tree have their own haplogroups different from yours.

The only traits that can be linked to haplogroups are health traits associated with the maternal (mitochondrial) haplogroup, since the mitochondria are the "powerhouses" of the cells that can affect resistance or susceptibility to certain diseases and conditions.

Last edited by aries63; 06-16-2022 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-16-2022, 01:40 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
They say relatives up to the 4th degree is what is sort of reliable. That is your great great grandparents, but not their decendants.
Whoever "they" are who said that, is wrong. Stop spreading disinformation. It doesn't even make sense, since most people don't have living great-great grandparents to test.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:16 PM

1,864 posts, read 841,146 times
what gets me, people claim, Im from norway, germany, finland, even great britain and portgal , they are like 100 miles apart, they are so close how do they know where they from, paris to london not that far

Old 06-16-2022, 07:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Interesting—thanks for the link
Have you watched a series on HBO called “Beforeigners” set in Norway in modern times
Very interesting concept that people from three different time periods are spontaneously sent forward in time to the modern era in Norway—usually via the water/ocean—
The Viking Era, the Victoria Era, and the Neanderthal Era

The world experiences this phenomena in all countries but the series is set in Norway

Old 06-16-2022, 08:50 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I do not know what to make of it. I'm kind of disappointed with my Ancestry result. Im born in raised in Sweden. My parents are as well. We don't know anybody who could potentially be born outside of Scandinavia or Finland. But here is the thing. I have an olive skin tone, hazel eyes and medium brown hair. I look anything but Swedish. I took the DNA test just to see what, if anything could explain the way I look. Only my mom and myself look like this, nobody else in our family. Then we get the result back. 99% Swedish, and 1 % Finish. It even pinpointed where most of my family came form in Sweden and I know exactly where that's at. I have been spending many summers in that area.
I know, I mean, I have to have ancestors from somewhere other than Sweden. How accurate are these dna results anyway? If I have some Viking ancestors that raided south Europe could the result of that show up now, a thousand years later?
There are Swedes with brown hair and different colored eyes. One of the women in ABBA had dark brown hair (altho she lightened it sometimes, and I think I saw it dyed red once). Don't know her eye color. Google "famous Swedes" and you'll see some with dark hair, although they usually seem to have light eyes. I can't tell for sure color of eyes in the images. There are even more with light or medium brown hair. There are also blonde Italians and French people, with fair skin. There are dark haired Irish; I think they are actually referred to as the dark Irish.

I don't know how far the ancestry thing goes back, but way back when, there was a lot of conquering, raping and pillaging. There was also fooling around with visitors from other countries. Who knows.

I am of French heritage. But some French people have Viking blood, since the Vikings actually took over a part of what would become France, and resided there peacefully for a while. So I imagine there were soon a number of red haired French-speaking kiddos running around, a combination of nordic and Gaul (or whatever that area was called back then).

There is evidence that the Germanic tribes were in close contact with the Roman Empire. Roman artifacts have been found in Scandinavia. They may have traded at one time. The missionaries from different countries went to Scandinavia to convert the area. Polish heritage figures heavily in the area. There was a lot of interaction in that area among the different peoples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy