Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 11:21 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Factor you have to consider. Are you male or female? If you are female, you will get NO Y DNA. Only get what was carried on your Father's X Chromosome DNA.
Y DNA isn't used for ethnicity percentages and AncestryDNA does not include the X chromosome in ethnicity percentages either so that doesn't influence it at all. 23andMe does use the X chromosome for ethnicity but Y DNA can't be used for it.

At 23andMe, it means females will have slightly more DNA from their father which is used for the ethnicity report than men (since they have 2 X chromosomes and men only have 1), but it's only by about 2% which is fairly insignificant. Gender really won't have a noteworthy influence on the ethnicity report even when X is used (which again, it's not used at AncestryDNA).

Quote:
Happened with my daughters. I traced my husband's male German family tree. Daughters results show NO GERMAN. Why? His male ancestors did not mate with German women; Scandinavian and Irish.
Your daughters still inherited DNA from that male line though, it's just autosomal DNA instead of Y DNA. And Since Y DNA isn't even included in ethnicity reports, that's got nothing to do with this. Autosomal DNA comes from all branches regardless of gender.

Quote:
Same happened with me and my Dad's British male ancestors. Very little Brit results. Again, more DNA from his IRISH Mom, and what can I say? British men don't marry Irish women and pass that on to their daughters? X chromosomes.
Again, that has nothing to do with gender or the X chromosome, you may have just happened to inherit more from some ancestors than others. Plus, British and Irish are so difficult to tell apart, it's not really reliable anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 11:53 AM

322 posts, read 707,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
This is not true. For example, none of the Virginia tribes received Federal recognition until a few years ago, and a few are apparently still fighting for Federal recognition. These folks were NOT included in Federal rolls. I spoke with the Chief of the Rappahannock Tribe 15-20 years ago, and it was a cluster**** trying to obtain Federal recognition. Records had been destroyed, etc. Here's a recent article:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...al-recognition

Regarding ancestry percentages, what I stated is correct. It's unfortunate if people cannot document this. For most people, this would be the bar to verify ancestry if it is recent.
On the contrary, to the Rappahannock who are not "Indigenous" by race (majority White/Black/Mulatto, I would even go so far to say, they are very little Indian blood, but would still be descendants), the Winnemem Wintu Tribe primarily "Indigenous" and are not federally recognized.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:36 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Thanks to 23andMe's chromosome painting for ethnicity, and X-DNA matching in GEDmatch, I was able to discover the likely source of a segment of Native American DNA on my X chromosome.

And also thanks to 23andMe's DNA Relative matching when the match is only on the X chromosome, I have a DNA Relative that shares a long segment on the X (48 cM) which includes the N.A. segment. Her chromosome painting shows the same ethnicity in the same location as mine. We share a pair of common ancestors that makes us 5th cousins 1x removed. These ancestors lived around Schoharie and Albany, NY in the late 1700s. Tracing the lines of descent from this couple, the DNA segment follows the pattern of inheritance of the X chromosome (passed from mother to child, and father to daughter, but not father to son) for both myself and my DNA Relative.

Building back the tree from the male of that ancestral couple on his direct maternal line four more generations is a Mohawk woman who married a Dutch immigrant in Schenectady. All the other lines in the tree go back to the Netherlands.

In GEDmatch, where X DNA results can be compared, I match another person on the same segment who tested at Ancestry. Fortunately this person attached a GEDCOM to her results. And it blew me away: she traces back to a granddaughter of the same Mohawk woman, again following the X pattern of inheritance. So it seems like this Mohawk woman was very likely the source of the Native American DNA segment still circulating more than 300 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy