Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2023, 07:19 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

This is my first experience with any sort of ancestry research or DNA analysis, so I have a few questions.

I downloaded the app, and noticed there are several options as to what's in the report you receive. Does that mean if you don't check any of the items you essentially get no report at all?

It asks is you want the health information. I paid for the ancestry and health data, so why would I have to check that box? Shouldn't it be assumed?

Some of the others regard relatives, etc.

Should I just check "Yes" to them all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 05:31 AM

10,107 posts, read 14,972,719 times
If you paid for ancestry and health, you will get both. What I think you are referring to is where it asks if you want to make that information to be available to other DNA matches. I have a 23andme account for over a decade and not once have I made the health information for others to see, but the DNA matches can see the ancestry part.

The amount of DNA matches isn't affected by whether you make the health results for them to see or only for you. What does affect the DNA matches count is whether you have a normal account (which has no yearly fee) or if you pay the annual fee for 23andme+. Very recently I cancelled my 23andme+ membership and noticed a very marked decrease in the total number of DNA matches.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:25 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
This is my first experience with any sort of ancestry research or DNA analysis, so I have a few questions.

I downloaded the app, and noticed there are several options as to what's in the report you receive. Does that mean if you don't check any of the items you essentially get no report at all?

It asks is you want the health information. I paid for the ancestry and health data, so why would I have to check that box? Shouldn't it be assumed?

Should I just check "Yes" to them all?

23 and me is geared towards health, ethnicity plus giving you cousin matches. The down side to it is you have to contact matches if you don't know how they're related. 23 and me is not an ancestry site like ancestry and my heritage where they have records. Ancestry has the largest DNA match database, so you should consider doing ancestry when it goes on sale for $59 again, usually fathers day. Ancestry also has some new cool DNA tools where it may tell you matches on both the maternal and paternal sides. It's very easy to get it started by marking it maternal or paternal.

If you have relatives that immigrated to the US or Canada, you should consider uploading your 23 and me DNA RAW file to my heritage for free. There are things you would need to pay for, a one time $29 fee to unlock ethnicity, matches of matches plus other DNA tools.

Both of my parents came to the US in the late 50's, also 3 of my grandparents had siblings who also came 20+ years earlier. I have awesome matches still living in Europe that are at my heritage.

My matches are best at ancestry and my heritage, 23 and me doesn't give me anything closer than 3rd cousin except for one 2nd cousin who was adopted out.

Have fun. It's exciting to see if you unlock any mysteries such as a male who had a biological father who was not the father he was raised by.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
If you paid for ancestry and health, you will get both. What I think you are referring to is where it asks if you want to make that information to be available to other DNA matches. I have a 23andme account for over a decade and not once have I made the health information for others to see, but the DNA matches can see the ancestry part.

The amount of DNA matches isn't affected by whether you make the health results for them to see or only for you. What does affect the DNA matches count is whether you have a normal account (which has no yearly fee) or if you pay the annual fee for 23andme+. Very recently I cancelled my 23andme+ membership and noticed a very marked decrease in the total number of DNA matches.
I just bought the one time account, rather than the yearly. Sounds like you get a bit more information if you pay the yearly fee. Sort of like, "But wait! There's more!". Perhaps it's something I can add later on if I see the need.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
23 and me is geared towards health, ethnicity plus giving you cousin matches. The down side to it is you have to contact matches if you don't know how they're related. 23 and me is not an ancestry site like ancestry and my heritage where they have records. Ancestry has the largest DNA match database, so you should consider doing ancestry when it goes on sale for $59 again, usually fathers day. Ancestry also has some new cool DNA tools where it may tell you matches on both the maternal and paternal sides. It's very easy to get it started by marking it maternal or paternal.

If you have relatives that immigrated to the US or Canada, you should consider uploading your 23 and me DNA RAW file to my heritage for free. There are things you would need to pay for, a one time $29 fee to unlock ethnicity, matches of matches plus other DNA tools.

Both of my parents came to the US in the late 50's, also 3 of my grandparents had siblings who also came 20+ years earlier. I have awesome matches still living in Europe that are at my heritage.

My matches are best at ancestry and my heritage, 23 and me doesn't give me anything closer than 3rd cousin except for one 2nd cousin who was adopted out.

Have fun. It's exciting to see if you unlock any mysteries such as a male who had a biological father who was not the father he was raised by.
That's fantastic information. Thanks. Sounds like I need to do the Ancestry one as well next month (Father's Day). I know some of my ancestry from searches that others in my family have done (go back to the 1600s to what is now Indiana on my mother's side) but I'd like to use some modern technology to add on to all that.

Do they also collect a saliva sample? Took me close to an hour to collect the 23andMe one.

Old 05-21-2023, 08:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:

I don't remember the wording when I registered so it's difficult to say exactly what they are asking you to say "yes" to, but they do allow you to opt out of the health reports and DNA relatives at any time so you have total control over your data. For all they know, someone could have bought you the test as a gift but maybe you don't actually want the health reports, so they're giving you to chance to opt out (which you can do at any point, not just now).

Quote:
Yes, some people choose not to opt into matching with DNA relatives, either for privacy reason or because they're just not interested in that aspect of it. Again, you can opt in or out of this at any time.

23andMe do offer a subscription that provides even more DNA relatives and health reports, so they might be offering this as well.

I think the only thing that doesn't have an opt out is the ethnicity report (Ancestry Composition), so if they're asking about that it might be about whether you want to share it with your DNA relatives.

They will also ask you about Research Consent.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I just bought the one time account, rather than the yearly. Sounds like you get a bit more information if you pay the yearly fee. Sort of like, "But wait! There's more!". Perhaps it's something I can add later on if I see the need.

If you want info specific to 23 and me, you should consider joining their Facebook group. There's posts on the extra plus+ membership where you'll see what others are saying about it. I did not do it. I wasn't impressed with the health report. I had added my DNA (free at the time) on another health related site called promethease, that told me more then the 23 and me health report. What I'm not impressed with may be of interest to you. You'll see when you get it. I did it because it was on sale for $150, I've been watching the price for years. That was as low as it went until a few months after doing mine, health was $99 during black Friday.

Quote:
That's fantastic information. Thanks. Sounds like I need to do the Ancestry one as well next month (Father's Day). I know some of my ancestry from searches that others in my family have done (go back to the 1600s to what is now Indiana on my mother's side) but I'd like to use some modern technology to add on to all that.

Do they also collect a saliva sample? Took me close to an hour to collect the 23andMe one.

Yes, ancestry is saliva too.

I'll be surprised if you don't have a lot of family on ancestry's DNA matches plus family trees.

You should also upload free to my heritage. If you have decent matches, consider paying the one time $29 fee I mentioned before. My heritage is world wide so if you have family in other countries you may get lucky with DNA matches there.

My heritage is newer at about 6 years doing DNA. You may not get the amount of matches as you get at ancestry or 23 and me. A lot of people do the free upload so you never know who you'll match that may break down a brick wall.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
If you want info specific to 23 and me, you should consider joining their Facebook group. There's posts on the extra plus+ membership where you'll see what others are saying about it. I did not do it. I wasn't impressed with the health report. I had added my DNA (free at the time) on another health related site called promethease, that told me more then the 23 and me health report. What I'm not impressed with may be of interest to you. You'll see when you get it. I did it because it was on sale for $150, I've been watching the price for years. That was as low as it went until a few months after doing mine, health was $99 during black Friday.

Yes, ancestry is saliva too.

I'll be surprised if you don't have a lot of family on ancestry's DNA matches plus family trees.

You should also upload free to my heritage. If you have decent matches, consider paying the one time $29 fee I mentioned before. My heritage is world wide so if you have family in other countries you may get lucky with DNA matches there.

My heritage is newer at about 6 years doing DNA. You may not get the amount of matches as you get at ancestry or 23 and me. A lot of people do the free upload so you never know who you'll match that may break down a brick wall.
Sounds fantastic. I'm getting interested now and looking forward to getting the results. The kit is supposed to arrive at the analysis facility tomorrow so I still have two or three weeks to wait. Who knows - I might be related to Harry and Megan.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:23 PM

983 posts, read 543,764 times
Quote:

I have been on 23 & Me for a long time. If you don't have any 2nd cousin matches on 23 & Me it is because your cousins have not sent their data to 23 & Me. I found Ancestry to be behind 23 & Me in a lot of ways but it is now catching up. Most of my relatives are on both Ancestry.com and 23 & Me except for one set of cousins that are only on Ancestry. I am considering joining Ancestry.com too, I had an account until they started asking for money, but that was 2 decades ago.

Old 06-09-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I have been on 23 & Me for a long time. If you don't have any 2nd cousin matches on 23 & Me it is because your cousins have not sent their data to 23 & Me. I found Ancestry to be behind 23 & Me in a lot of ways but it is now catching up. Most of my relatives are on both Ancestry.com and 23 & Me except for one set of cousins that are only on Ancestry. I am considering joining Ancestry.com too, I had an account until they started asking for money, but that was 2 decades ago.

Ancestry is free, what costs money is using their records databases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy