Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 07:10 PM

5,076 posts, read 7,505,027 times

Advertisements

For anyone sitting on the fence, Ancestry is now offering its lowest price ever for its basic DNA test, at $39. And 23andMe is offering its Ancestry only service for $79.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 09:38 PM

23,940 posts, read 33,819,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
For anyone sitting on the fence, Ancestry is now offering its lowest price ever for its basic DNA test, at $39. And 23andMe is offering its Ancestry only service for $79.

There is an ad on Ancestry's Facebook that says there is a $39 DNA test and a $40 DNA test that comes with a three month world explorer trial which of course you need to cancel within a certain time frame of it expiring or it gets charged at full price.

Save up to 75%* on AncestryDNA® offers.

We’re celebrating moms everywhere with our lowest Mother’s Day prices ever.

AncestryDNA $39

AncestryDNA® + World Explorer Membership $40

AncestryDNA® + All Access Family Plan $49

Old 05-05-2024, 09:35 AM

Yes. I wonder if the $39 test is the bare-bones version with limited DNA tools, which they will offer to upgrade to the full version if you buy a renewable membership. It would be good for people who just want an ethnicity report without getting too deep into genealogy.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:02 AM

5,365 posts, read 3,266,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Yes. I wonder if the $39 test is the bare-bones version with limited DNA tools, which they will offer to upgrade to the full version if you buy a renewable membership. It would be good for people who just want an ethnicity report without getting too deep into genealogy.
Has anyone confirmed what the $39 test comes with? Would love to get for my parents but fear they will lose interest if it's just a "here's your ethnicity".

Alternatively I suppose I could "manage" their account (whatever that entails).

Old 05-06-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Has anyone confirmed what the $39 test comes with? Would love to get for my parents but fear they will lose interest if it's just a "here's your ethnicity".

Alternatively I suppose I could "manage" their account (whatever that entails).
If you already have a subscription for yourself, I think you'd be able to add family members under your subscription at the $39 price and have full access to the same tools that you now can use.

If you were to do a stand-alone test at $39, with no subscription, there would be limited DNA features. When you click the "i" next to "DNA Matches" under "What's included" on their promotion, it says "Some DNA features may require an Ancestry subscription."

Old 05-09-2024, 06:36 PM

79,054 posts, read 61,211,077 times
I took a test and it turns out I'm 50% english, 50% swedish and 50% Irish. I need to lose weight.

Just a little geneology humor.

Great suggestion, my mother already did this though. Swedish, dutch and english more or less.

Happy mothers day everyone, cherish it.

Old 06-03-2024, 02:49 PM

11,265 posts, read 7,312,855 times
I'm wondering if there's been a thread here about the various DNA tests available, and maybe some recommendations. I'd really like to go forward with that, but am a dummy on the subject and options.

Old 06-04-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm wondering if there's been a thread here about the various DNA tests available, and maybe some recommendations. I'd really like to go forward with that, but am a dummy on the subject and options.
It depends on what your goals are, what you hope to find out from a DNA test. People's goals are many and varied.

Old 06-05-2024, 04:24 AM

23,940 posts, read 33,819,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

There are a lot of threads where people have given opinions.

Basically there are two DNA testing companies that do not accept free uploads, Ancestry and 23 and me.

Ancestry is the largest DNA database, is also a lot cheaper then 23 and me. You can get it on sale for Fathers day either $49 or $59. They have recently removed some features they used to give us free, if you want to be able to include that, there is a 3 or 6 month advanced DNA tool subscription for under $50. This is if you do not subscribe to a record subscription like world explorer. Ancestry is a genealogy site with people who make family trees some that are public.

23 and me is not a genealogy site, there are no record sources, it is strictly for things like ethnicity, health testing, they do give DNA matches but with no tree attached, it may be hard to figure out who you're matching. The cheapest the health testing goes on sale is $99 around black Friday.

You can buy from either place, download your RAW data file to upload free to My Heritage, family tree DNA and a public database GEDmatch. They each have a paid level that gives you more DNA info, My Heritage is a one time fee of $29, FTDNA a one time fee of $19, with GEDmatch having a monthly or yearly subscription for the advanced tools.

If you're searching for birth parents or an adoptee, we suggest testing with Ancestry first, then 23 and me if you did not find who you were looking for.

Old 06-05-2024, 09:33 AM

11,265 posts, read 7,312,855 times
^ Thank you so much! Since I don't know a lot about it, I figured whatever source would provide heritage(?) information, like 50% French, 20% Belgium, etc. I don't understand what "health testing" would be, and I don't need to upload anything to any family tree, etc., but that's an interesting possibility. Maybe my data could be compared to other's data that way?

I have my genealogy traced back as far as I can to my paternal great-great-grandfather, born in NJ. But I'd like to try and see if I might go farther back and deeper. I imagine all the other parents/grandparents since add to the DNA mix, and pull in their "heritages"(?) too.

Thanks again for shedding new light into this subject. I see it's much more involved - option-wise - than I realized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy