Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times

Advertisements

Let's see. Doesn't ancestry.com have the Canadian census? I think so. You can search for free at a larger library.

Otherwise, www.familysearch.org has one Canadian census. The 1881 census, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
Yeah, I already looked in ancestry.com but the ancestor I am researching came to america in 1880.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Be careful. Many families tried to cover up an ancestor's indiscretion with a black partner by claiming they were Cherokee or other Indian. Many "cherokee princesses" were just mixed race black/white.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Heading to Anderson County Tennessee 2010 to search marriage records. May be some birth certificates, though I am not sure where g-grandmother Hightower was born. Did marry maternal g-grandfather in Tennessee 1897. Most of Hightower family is in Cherokee NC, just a few hours from where I now live.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 AM

688 posts, read 1,490,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I am looking into researching a Canadian native north american ancestor. Cree tribe I am told. Who married my fur trader ancestor in Quebec. Have not begun yet though. I have a feeling it is going to be a tough nut to crack.
I guess this is neither here nor there but up in Canada they call their Indians "First Nations" People, Native American more of a U.S.A. politically correct term. I am part-Cherokee (Tsalagi), have no problem with term "Indian" whatsoever, easier to say and spell and less syllables than "Native American". In Europe, at least in recent past, they called Indians of North or South American heritage "Red Indians" to discern them from people from Indian Subcontinent, calling them "East Indians". As I stated, "Indian" is fine with me, actually "First Nations" I like better if you're gonna use a politically correct term, sounds more poetic and is more representative of the indiginous people here, and not too hard to say and no more syllables than "Indian".

Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,920 times
I am currently researching one of the Native American branches of my family. My great grandfather was named William Abernathy, a fairly common name. As a result, it's been diffcult to trace this branch of my family. He was half Native/half African born in either Missouri, Kansas, or Oklahoma ~1895. My recent admixture test and the appearance of my grandfather confirms this ancestry, and so I have an interest in obtaining more information. Anyone searching for Native ancestors in this region?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,720,072 times
I've started to. I printed out the handbook from the BIA. I'm getting nowhere with it.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:13 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I spent a fair amount of time in Cherokee territory in OK. I took the time to read the Dawes Rolls and attempt to understand the history. My perception of what I read regarding the Trail of Tears - and I am not saying is it not 100% accurate - is that it was a horrific event. The troops forced villagers out with no food, water, blankets, transportation or shelter. They died at the rate of one per mile. The names were not recorded. Whole families died during the march. Sometimes only one small child survived. From what I understand, the Cherokee was not the only eastern tribe ti be forced out of an area.

I was told that when it came time to register names, the peoples forced to march did noit willingly participate out of fear, and if they could pass for white they did. Today Talequah is still the tribal home of the Cherokee.

The Trail of Tears does not account for any of the northen tribes who were forced out. If I knew I had eastern/southern Indian history I would start with four places. Talequah, The Nine Trives in Miami, OK, The Five Tribes museum inside Honor Park at Muskogee, OK and the Oklahoma State Historical Society in Oklahoma City.

In my travels, i met many members of western tribes, but I have no idea how to research their ancestors.

Here is a story about my great-grandmother's maternal side of her family. Supposedly the original settler was in the Carolinas (before it was divided into two states). And supposedly his brother who lived in a different part of the Carolinas was called Chief Redbird by one of the tribes.
I doubt he was a chief, and I doubt it was a honorarium, but I do suspect he had flaming red hair - hence the name. Supposedly he marred the tribal Chief's daughter called Susannah of the Carolinas. This piece of family lore and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee today. ,

there was a chief redbird but he was in kentucky

Old 05-24-2010, 05:20 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,653 times
remember when searching for cherokee ancestory there was no such thing as a cherokee princess. this is a lie that got thrown in to romanticize native american stories. also many white people who married native americans way back then renamed them, this happened in my family, they renamed them christian names and this was accepted as they wanted to fit in. also most who married with white people would report themselves as white on census records too.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 AM

43 posts, read 154,299 times
This is on my mom's maternal line....

My grandma's grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee....Her name was Mary Eddie.

Mary Eddie married a man whose mother was full-blooded Cherokee...(he was half Cherokee)

How much Cherokee blood do I have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy