Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:03 PM

264 posts, read 907,588 times

Advertisements

After doing some genealogy I found my great great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee and lived on a reservation in the 1900's census. Western nation. Some of her family is on the Dawes list. Where can I get questions answered ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:53 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
After doing some genealogy I found my great great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee and lived on a reservation in the 1900's census. Western nation. Some of her family is on the Dawes list. Where can I get questions answered ?
Talk to someone at the Cherokee Nation genealogy department. I'm sure they'd be willing to conduct some research for you to see if you qualify for membership, which can lead to more answers regarding your family history.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:07 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
Just wanted to chime in, someone said that's a novelty item.. I mean 1/256 isn't much, but despite it not being much I'm on the other side of the argument, that it means a whole lot. Every single ancestor is important and a part of you (whether or not you inherited any DNA from them). If that one Native American ancestor didn't exist or did something different you wouldn't exist and it doesn't matter if that ethnicity made up half of our ancestry or 1/256 in this case.

We are the sum of the amazing confluence of our ancestors, the actions they took, the cultures they came from, and the children that resulted from it, and I personally am of the that say 50/256 isn't more important than 1/256, it's simply *more*. Each element is a part of your story no matter the quantity. It's like a song, a single note or lyric that happens 1/256 vs a note or lyric in a chorus that happens over and over. Is the chorus more important? No, it just happens more often. Each of those ancestors has a story and no one is greater or lesser than eachother and all the "white" ones aren't the same either, each is different in their own way. Maybe you only have 1/256 Swiss Mennonite as well, vs 50/256 Irish farmer, etc... Each individual is their own story and part of yours.
Princess Charlotte is princess because of her 1/256 relationship to George III.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Princess Charlotte is princess because of her 1/256 relationship to George III.
Actually, George III was Princess Charlotte's 7th great grandfather, making it 1/512.

However, Princess Charlotte is a princess because she's the great granddaughter of the currently reigning monarch, the granddaughter of the Prince of Wales, and the daughter of Prince William. I get what you're saying, that all of those people are only who they are because they are descended from a long ago monarch, but it's not really an equal comparison because royalty isn't an ethnicity.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:43 AM

322 posts, read 707,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Questions answered, why would you start here? Anyone in their right salt would start here with the source, The Cherokee Nation .Cherokee Nation > Home.

Unless you wanted Keetoowah? http://keetoowahcherokee.org/

These two Cherokee tribes (of 3) are the only federally recognized Cherokee tribes. They will advise you but they will not research anything for you. These tribes have a ridiculous amount of people contacting them claiming Cherokee ancestry. They will not research anything for you, that is your burden. However, they can tell you what you need to do, after they hit the hold button hoping you go away.

Now her being on the 1900 census, I hope not the population census, that means nothing in Indian Country, you need to provide an ancestor on the Dawes (other rolls may be required) with an unbroken lineage to you.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:00 PM

43 posts, read 48,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Excuse me? Wow, are you ever wrong on that. Can you clarify what you mean by 100% native americans...? Are you saying no natives are practcing their traditional ways or speak their native language? That is absurd.

Second, who are you to say who is or isn't practicing their traditional ways? You might want to visit western oklahoma sometime.

A lot of people from my tribe, the kiowa tribe of oklahoma, do have strong ties to our tribal traditions, ceremonies, and spiritual beliefs. Note: I said traditional spiritual beliefs, not religion. I say this over and over to people, particularly christians who believe they brought the concept of a creator to our people. Whatever.

And many tribes are working to preserve their native songs, languages, and ceremonies.
tell them again!!

Old 07-31-2015, 03:42 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
If my math is correct, it would mean that one of your great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents was full blooded. So yeah, it's a novelty but nothing else. My ex mother-in-law threw a fit when I wouldn't jump through the hoops to get that same 1/256 card for my kids, claiming that I was denying
them their heritage.
That's rather ignorant. Far from being just a "novelty," that certificate of Indian blood (apart from keeping your children informed of their heritage) could very well open the door to have them enrolled in the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma; assuming your Indian ancestor(s) were on the Dawes' Rolls, your children would be eligible for membership in the Cherokee Nation, a federally-recognized Indian tribe.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:11 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,303,489 times
I'd also add that many people trace back to an immigrant ancestor 6x great grandparent or further back and get a lot of meaning out of that, why not a Native American ancestor that far back.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
I'd also add that many people trace back to an immigrant ancestor 6x great grandparent or further back and get a lot of meaning out of that, why not a Native American ancestor that far back.
Indeed. I agree completely with your observation.

My first known NA ancestor was first recorded in 1839 in French language of Catholic priest records for area of what later became Oregon Territory. She brings me 1/32 NA.

I am very impressed with ability to be able to research back in years of records to yield NA of 1/256. That seems it would be 3 generations back further than my great great great grandmother at 19 years age in 1839 (having had 1st child at age 14). I did not realize there were records of NA in the late 1700's. That is just amazing. I commend the researcher.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:47 PM

79 posts, read 214,673 times
Hello,
Could someone please lead me in the right direction? I have been on many websites, but am more confused than ever. Having been estranged from my father and not knowing my heritage/lineage, I have spent 20 years researching and came across a letter from a second aunt complaining that my grandfather (he came here from Ireland in 1914) married an "Indian". Upon further investigation, I have located photos and received a name of this woman, as well as many letters discussing her heritage as NA. Here is what I know of her from "family letters only", Her name was Letitia Fisher, born on the Salamanca reservation in 1852. She is my great-great grandmother. I have been unable to locate her in any records except that she married my great-great grandfather, Surname GUILD in PA as stated in 2 public genealogy books on the family name GUILD. It took me 20 years to track down that my grandfather was born in Kenmare, Ireland and now I find that his wife was of NA descent and am very much intrigued and excited to share this with my family. I have researched Letitia day and night and cannot find a birth record for her or any facts that she even lived, minus the photos and letters. I would so appreciate any crumbs of info that will point me in a direction that I can research further. Thank you very much,
Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy