Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times

Advertisements

Check out the Oklahoma City area. It's a great place to live that is often overlooked by many people. We moved here a few years ago from a much larger city in another state, and have found it to be a great place with very friendly and welcoming people. The cost of living is low, and the city has much to offer including lots of museums and cultural events, a great zoo, parks, greats restaurants, lots sporting events including college and, of course, an NBA team. The downtown is currently in the midst of a huge revitalization. There are several large hospitals, including the huge OU Medical Center.

Two of the suburbs here, Edmond (where I live) and Norman, were just named by Money Magazine on their list of the 100 best places to live in the US. Edmond was at #35 and Norman was at #70. There are universities in both communities. Edmond has The University of Central University (3rd largest in the state) as well as Oklahoma Christian Unviersity, and Norman is home to The University of Oklahoma. There are also several other universities in the OKC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 12,572 times
We are selling our home in Western Mass and moving to Southeastern Indiana....much lower cost of living and a lot more house for our money

Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Atlanta suburbs (Gwinnett County)

Northeast suburb of Atlanta. Very diverse county (Hispanics, Asians, Blacks, Whites)

You are not far from the city for games, concerts, etc

Cheap cost of living
http://www.newhomes.com/search.jsp?city=Lawrenceville&state=Georgia&bed=0& bath=0&minPrice=1&maxPrice=99999999&zip=&base=0&lu xury_homes=0&limit=60 (broken link)

Info on Gwinnett County

http://www.wikigwinnett.com/content.cfm?Action=wiki&WikiID=3106 (broken link)

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett-is-now-a-546461.html

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 07-18-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 07:16 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Phoenix, Arizona is often overlooked for relocation...Phoenix has a lot to offer....Cost of living is affordable/300+ days of sunshine/Scenic/Lots to do/Driving Distance to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Mexico beaches. And the ways things are now... you could probably could pick up a nice piece of property....Just something to think about.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Phoenix, Arizona is often overlooked for relocation...Phoenix has a lot to offer....Cost of living is affordable/300+ days of sunshine/Scenic/Lots to do/Driving Distance to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Mexico beaches. And the ways things are now... you could probably could pick up a nice piece of property....Just something to think about.
Its also 400 degrees for nearly half the year.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its also 400 degrees for nearly half the year.
LOL... yeah like being in a slow cooker for 6+ months. Texas has 2 to3 months of heat but it varies from year to year. But the rest of the year is great.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:36 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Check out the Oklahoma City area. It's a great place to live that is often overlooked by many people. We moved here a few years ago from a much larger city in another state, and have found it to be a great place with very friendly and welcoming people. The cost of living is low, and the city has much to offer including lots of museums and cultural events, a great zoo, parks, greats restaurants, lots sporting events including college and, of course, an NBA team. The downtown is currently in the midst of a huge revitalization. There are several large hospitals, including the huge OU Medical Center.

Two of the suburbs here, Edmond (where I live) and Norman, were just named by Money Magazine on their list of the 100 best places to live in the US. Edmond was at #35 and Norman was at #70. There are universities in both communities. Edmond has The University of Central University (3rd largest in the state) as well as Oklahoma Christian Unviersity, and Norman is home to The University of Oklahoma. There are also several other universities in the OKC area.
Hmmm, doesn't sound too bad in OK I never considered it.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM

245 posts, read 765,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Huntsville, Alabama: jobs, low taxes, no traffic, excellent housing prices, excellent schools, excellent family area, very friendly people, and like I wrote, jobs. Big engineering job center, DOD, NASA, MDA, biotech.
I found much the same thing when I lived there a few years back. Huntsville does have a lot going for it: jobs, relatively low cost of living, diverse population, good schools, etc. Personally, I didn't really care for it, though. The "feel" of the city was wrong for me. Bad feng shui or something. But, to each his own... Good luck with the search.

Last edited by Nunyabiz86; 07-27-2010 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Hmmm, doesn't sound too bad in OK I never considered it.
Yup, most people don't. A lot of people tend to have a Grapes of Wrath type impression of OK, but its really very nice. OKC is big enough to have most anything you are looking for, but still small enough (population wise) that traffic just is not an issue. You can buy a very nice home in a very good area for $85-$100 a sq ft.

And yes, the people here are very friendly and welcoming.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Go with some college town of around 50,000. If the college has accepted a number of international students over the years, then the towns people are more used to people who are different. With a college in town the public schools will probably be better supported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues