Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times

Advertisements

One option I have for moving my stuff from LA to Denver is to rent a trailer. U-Haul's 5x10 trailer weighs 1250lb empty (2800lb max), has two axles, and surge brakes. My tow vehicle would be a V6 4Runner (4300lb curb weight) with a max towing capacity of 5000lb and a max tongue weight of 500lb. I'll already have two cars to move so I'd rather not add a third (cargo truck) if I can avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
One option I have for moving my stuff from LA to Denver is to rent a trailer. U-Haul's 5x10 trailer weighs 1250lb empty (2800lb max), has two axles, and surge brakes. My tow vehicle would be a V6 4Runner (4300lb curb weight) with a max towing capacity of 5000lb and a max tongue weight of 500lb. I'll already have two cars to move so I'd rather not add a third (cargo truck) if I can avoid it.
I can't comment on your vehicle & trailer, but towing's not that difficult. You have to watch out for wind, and passing/being passed by semi trucks is interesting. Keep in mind all that extra length.

We towed 1,000 pounds behind a 2001 Ford ZX2 a couple of years ago ... from Tucson, Arizona to Wilmington, Delaware. And then turned around and reversed the trip. The wind was against us on the way home, which made that drive exhausting, but it was otherwise not a problem.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:31 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
Your biggest problem with this set up is the ratio on the length (& Weight) of the trailer vs. the wheel base of your 4Runner. Not saying it can't be done, but it is a dangerous combo for high risk driving conditions. The shorter wheel base on the 4Runner will make the trailer harder to stop, control and keep from jacking should you experience trouble areas on the highway. Examples: severe storm/weather conditions, sudden stops, sharp curves. Ideally, for that size of trailer and weight for that distance would be pick up truck for the sole reason of stability. I have previously worked for a towing company, I have seen my share of Uhaul trailer wrecks that could have been avoided with a better tow vehicle set up and/or more experienced driver. If the trailer gets out of control, it WILL flip your vehicle. Just an FYI.

As for towing - I have over 10yrs experience towing live weight in a bumper pull trailer that would be of similar specs you're looking at. My trailer is 12ft long, 1250lb empty and ranges 2500-4000lb loaded. The biggest rules you need to be aware of:
1. trailers are not meant to keep up in traffic. If you choose this set up, you NEED to keep a moderate speed of 60+/- for the trip.
2. you absolutely need to give yourself space and time to slow down, take turns more slowly. A loaded trailer needs 3-4 times the stopping distance compared to not pulling a trailer.
3. having a spotter traveling behind you to help spot for lane changes, etc is very helpful. Trailers can create blind spots and you can clip vehicles if you're not changing lanes into a clear lane. When I taught my husband how to haul, I would travel behind the trailer, and move over when the lane was clear for both rig and car. He knew if I could move over, he could move over.

It can be done, but please be careful and mindful of your traveling habits.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
I don't plan on fully loading the trailer. I have a few items that I don't want to part with but if I carried them in the 4Runner, I'd have room for nothing else. U-Haul's next smaller trailer (5x8) is 900lb empty (2700 max) but lacks brakes and only has a single axle so I thought the 5x10 would be a safer choice given the extra axle, brakes, and lower profile despite being longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues