Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 AM

248 posts, read 442,947 times

Advertisements

Hi
Thanks members for responses to an earlier thread.
I have decided to go with a company for packing-loading -moving-unloading .

Typically Do they start packing from a scratch , as in , I am sitting in my apartment with everything in its place and they come and boom ! in 2 hours , they have packed everything in the boxes they have brought ?

I understand I will have to discuss this with them to be sure but what is the norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
They will pack anything except hazardous materials, its up to you what you want packed. You pay for time, boxes, materials, etc. You'd be bettero off doing at least some sorting, get rid of the obvious things you don't want, and at least organize things in similar piles. Otherwise, you will have a hodge podge on the other end to sort through, not an easy task. Also, be sure to hide valuables, every move I've had stuff stolen. That includes jewelry, credit cards, check books, and perscription drugs. The smaller the item, the earsier it is to steal, make sure to pack your valuables yourself and handle them yourself.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:34 AM

Thank you for the tips !

Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 AM

72 posts, read 174,842 times
Make sure to get a "binding estimate"that way the price you are quoted is the price you will pay for your move. Also, make sure the movers come out to your residence for an on site estimate (as a packing and moving estimate given over the phone will leave you wide open for huge increases in costs) and research your potential moving company. The movers should be members in good standing with the local BBB, check on moving scam.com, check on kudzu.com, and check to make sure they are legal movers (don't ask these questions actually look them up to make sure you get a good mover). Finally make sure you understand exactly what is and is not covered for loss or damage for the coverage you are getting from the mover (be specific and ask in writing).Good luck with your move.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Thank you all !

Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 AM

381 posts, read 1,365,973 times
Yep. We were fortunate that my husband's company paid for our move in March, including packing. I was told to just put everything I *didn't* want packed in a specific area in the house (a friend of mine cleared out a bathroom and then locked everything in there. I put all mine on the kitchen island). They came in and packed up my entire 5 bedroom/3200 sq ft house in about 7 hours, including their lunch break. They did everything but the stuff on the kitchen island and the bedding (they packed up the bedding the next morning before they loaded the truck).

Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I have packed and moved six times in 4 years and there is no way I would allow anyone to pack one single thing. I refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself and we loaded the truck, unloaded the truck and unpacked it all ourselves. Obviously if one is not physically able to do this then hiring a company to pack and load and move and unload it the way to go.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:00 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Yes, basically they will just come in and pack it all up in no time. The last two moves we've done have taken two days of them packing and a full day of loading, but we had a 3600 sqft house and a 3 car garage, that was packed full of junk (DH is a real pack rat). The moves were very sudden, and we didn't have time to clear out much stuff. As others have said, make sure you have everything you don't want them touching, in a specific location and label it "DO NOT PACK". I put mine on the island in my kitchen and told them not to pack it, but I still caught them trying to. One guy started packing the kitchen, then they sent him off to do something else, and sent someone new in to finish the kitchen, and the new person didn't get the word about not packing the stuff on the island. I always take all my valuables out and lock them in my car before they show up. Also, be aware that they will pack absolutely everything, including stuff in trash cans, so make sure if it's not something you want, its not there. They don't take the time to think "is this trash?". I had dryer lint packed and moved one time.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:32 PM

great !
Thank you for your responses
I had a very smooth move
They came, they packed and they moved !
It was worth every penny .

Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I had dryer lint packed and moved one time.
LOL - Now that's funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues