Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 AM

129 posts, read 316,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki26 View Post
Wisconsin...

The small town that I am currently in... No culture.

No real activities for people to do besides sit at that bar, hunt, fish, talk about the Packers (which, I love the Pack, don't get me wrong)

And... drum roll.... Having to shovel myself out of my driveway for 5 freaking months out of the year.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hate these winters..
Ugh. I hear you - I HATED living in Wisconsin! I went to high school in Minocqua in the lovely "nortwoods" and couldn't wait to escape! I tried to get out of WI for college, but my family couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition. I ended up going to school in both Stevens Point and Milwaukee and hated every minute of living in both cities. WI is beautiful in the summer but a wasteland when it comes to arts, culture, entertainment (other than drinking, fishing and hunting) and fashion, among many other things. I escaped to first Florida and then Los Angeles and haven't looked back! I can't understand the WI residents who stay in their little hometowns their entire lives - and there are A LOT of people like that. Oh, and I didn't even touch on the BRUTAL winters...yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 06:05 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Endless (and I mean endless) sunshine and hot, humid summer-like temperatures for 9+ months.
Sweating like a pig for 9+ months.
Never ending influx of "homeless" who are attracted to the weather.
Fat/old people wearing shorts and sandals year round.
Tourism based economy.
9+ months of cutting the lawn and pulling weeds.
Urban sprawl-everywhere.
Alcohol consumption-everywhere.
The state legislature is arguably one of the most corrupt political bodies on Earth.
My low life Bosnian neighbors.

Soon as I retire, I'm packing up and leaving this cesspool.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:34 PM

604 posts, read 856,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Miami, FL

The fact I can't order turkey, sliced thin, at the deli, because I don't speak Spanish.
Psycho crazy drivers.
I'll second these. Also:
The major grocery stores (Publix and Winn-Dixie) are terrible. The selection at Publix is abysmal (fresh basil? Try next week.) unless you follow a typical Central/S. American diet and the Winn-Dixie stores always manage to look run down, even right after they've been renovated. I don't get it.

Spanish speakers who say, "Oh, you need to speak a second language!" News flash: there are other "second languages" besides Spanish. I speak a couple of them.

The lack of manners. Not rudeness, that's different and I have become inured to it, but the lack of consideration for people around you. Don't litter. Pick up when your dog poops on my lawn. If you have to answer your phone in a crowded place, move out of the way.

Most of my dislikes are related to the fact there are just way more people here than I'm used to. Two more years max, two more years....

Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
I'm reminded every time I:

Sit in bumper to bumper traffic on a Saturday afternoon for no apparent reason

Write my rent check and realize that for what I'm spending on a crappy two bedroom apartment, I could own a house in most states

Read the newspaper and see what nanny state BS the government has come up with

Old 11-29-2010, 03:57 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
San Antonio, TX
Seeing the classified ads and noticing the lack of professional opportunities available for a fair wage.
Plenty of Mexican Restaurant signs abound the streets; I'd like to have more variety of cuisines to choose from.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
Ugh. I hear you - I HATED living in Wisconsin! I went to high school in Minocqua in the lovely "nortwoods" and couldn't wait to escape! I tried to get out of WI for college, but my family couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition. I ended up going to school in both Stevens Point and Milwaukee and hated every minute of living in both cities. WI is beautiful in the summer but a wasteland when it comes to arts, culture, entertainment (other than drinking, fishing and hunting) and fashion, among many other things. I escaped to first Florida and then Los Angeles and haven't looked back! I can't understand the WI residents who stay in their little hometowns their entire lives - and there are A LOT of people like that. Oh, and I didn't even touch on the BRUTAL winters...yuck.
Wow, I have to whole-heartedly disagree. I moved from the middle of Montana (probably the worst place to live in Montana, if you don't like it..... it's huge and being stuck right in the middle of the state, well.... lol... you literally can't be more stuck in Montana than that! ). They had a couple museums in town. Charles M. Russell the famous Western painter was from there. And there was his museum, along with a few other small museums. So I guess you can say there was some culture. But really... nothing in terms of anything for an individual to develop their own craft.

Northern Wisconsin, on the other hand, is only a couple hours east of the Twin Cities. So we get a few interesting acts/people coming through. I was looking at flyers in my grocery store and little mall recently... there are open mic nights at our little coffee shop right here in town. Full-on bands play there. I've been in there, it looks too small for that, but I've seen pictures of bands actually playing there. The local tech college is offering a few neat things in the coming weeks too, to appeal to art/music lovers.

I mean think about it - these were just casual trips to the mall and grocery store, and I came across that. I'm sure those opportunities existed somewhere in my former town, but I imagine I would've really had to seek them out. Because I never ran across any flyers like that there. I think there was one coffee shop that had an open mic for a couple years... but it was primarily poetry readings. And my favorite coffee shop there also had some sort of writers group. But no place for open mic nights (unless you're talking about a bar), or any such thing like that.

Just in my small little city now, they've got a couple of theater companies. Small-town productions. And then just a few miles away, there's this cool place that puts on productions. Theatre In The Woods.
http://www.titw.org/
There's plenty around here for people who want to sing, act, play, write, read, paint, whatever... and if they want to go after a little more? Well, there's always Madison, Twin Cities, Duluth, Milwaukee, and even Chicago nearby to keep an eye on...

I think if a person were really serious about becoming a professional artist/performer of some kind, this is a wonderful little place to sort of hone their craft away from big audiences... and then gradually ease into big-city stuff if they wanted to, with bigger cities only a few hours away.

Last edited by MSPLove; 11-29-2010 at 11:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The widespread growth of desert landscaping.

Yeah, I know, we're running out of water, and the water department gave homeowners a great cash incentive to rip up their lawns and replace it with rock landscaping, but I miss seeing more green in my neighborhood.
I would go crazy if I was forced to live in a place with a lack of greenery. As it is, in Michigan, I about lose my mind over the long cold winter. Green grass and leafy trees makes me feel alive.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:42 AM

289 posts, read 569,982 times
-Right now it's freezing outside so that's #1.
-No Palm Trees
-Country Living
-No Beach
-No Ocean
-No Racetrack
-Hills
-Naked trees
-Dial-Up or Satellite internet are our only 2 options
-The local papers sports page is dedicated to local sports only or football or baseball with tiny NASCAR articles. Thank goodness for the internet.
-My brother & sister in law living next door

I was born here & have lived here my entire life so, I just hate this state & can't wait until I can leave it for good.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
-Right now it's freezing outside so that's #1.
-No Palm Trees
-Country Living
-No Beach
-No Ocean
-No Racetrack
-Hills
-Naked trees
-Dial-Up or Satellite internet are our only 2 options
-The local papers sports page is dedicated to local sports only or football or baseball with tiny NASCAR articles. Thank goodness for the internet.
-My brother & sister in law living next door

I was born here & have lived here my entire life so, I just hate this state & can't wait until I can leave it for good.
We have a home that we will be selling in a couple of years in NC. Not far from Lowe's Motor Speedway and Mooresville. Great place if you like racing!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM

98 posts, read 173,034 times
The morning newspeople. I find them so stupid and annoying, it's probably just because I associate them so strongly with where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues