Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,412,214 times

Advertisements

A recent example for me:

My local paper has a section on "local young professionals." They post the person's picture, their job, spouse, number of kids, and then ask trivia questions, mostly centered around glorifying the city of course. (I.E. What's your favorite thing about the city? - questions like that.)

Outwardly, as I'm reading it, I'm thinking with a chuckle, "Different strokes for different folks."
INSIDE I'm screaming, "ARE YOU EFFIN CRAZY, LADY?!" (Especially when the person mentions what a great place it is to raise a family.)

Even if you work hard to adjust and make a place comfortable for yourself, these little reminders will always be there. Subtle little things you see here and there that remind you that you're just not really "home."

I'm exactly a month away from moving today - so near, yet so far. It's creeping up, and sometimes seems like it's almost coming too fast. The stress is creeping in, still a lot to do. And then, on the other hand, some days it feels like it can't come fast enough. Now that I'm getting close to moving, it's like I'm re-noticing these little subtleties all over again. I think it's because now that I know I'm moving, I don't have to pretend anymore.. or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,817,252 times
All of the NYU students that INVADE my neighborhood every September and get drunk for the first time with no fear of mommy and daddy finding out.

Yeah---I really like it when I find them passed out in front of my apt. building too drunk to walk back to the dorms.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM

88 posts, read 270,113 times
Surfers on the way to the beach on the highway in front of me while I'm trying to get to work!
Kids- teenagers in Lexus, BMW, Mercs, Porches etc.... Hubby and I have our chant "it's just a lease, it's just a lease... or Mommy and Daddy bought it!"
Huge houses that we could never afford... dump houses that we could never afford!
Tank tops at the mall for $1500... seriously.
Girls with big plastic surgery, fake nails and little tiny dogs in purses...
People thinking access to the beach is enough to make up for the rest of it and aren't willing to see it any other way.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,888,060 times
Things that remind me how much I don't like my state/city:

1. Too many blondes (I know, I know, there's blonde haired women everywhere, but I swear I had never seen SOOO many of them until I moved to Arizona in 2001).

2. The kind of houses here (there's a lot of hoity-toity type folks around here).

3. Fake tans/too much tanning (it's like most folks here have brown leather skin or something!).

4. Men that still live with their mama's and daddy's (sheesh, no wonder most are deadbeats around here).

5. Too many churches and too many bars (for a small town why have so many of both?).

6. Attitudes (not very many nice folks here).

7. Too far away from the nearest beach (the nearest beach is over 6 hours away in San Diego. Gosh, I miss Houston already, it's only 1 hour from Galveston).

8. Bugs and small corn snakes that come inside the house during the summer (EWWWW!!!).

9. Stores that sell clothes over $20 or more (c'mon! for a small town, that's so ridiculous!).

10. Homeless folks (I have never seen so many of them til I came to Arizona).

Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM

83 posts, read 242,471 times
waiting for the teenagers to move from the bench at the local park so my kids can sit only to find they forgot to put out their joint and now we cant sit there anyway

Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,502 times
The people, the population, the general populace...and assorted various persons in general.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
The constant political commercials on TV bashing the "liberal agenda" (I relocated to a red state, after 2 yrs still not used to it)

People are paranoid here. Maybe it has to do with the god fearing, gun toting mentality, not sure but it is extremely hard to get to know anyone.

Insane drivers. Just in my daily travels I see some horrific accidents and/or near misses. I am terrified of when my child starts driving in a few years.

I could get an oil change for my car back home for 29 bucks. Oil changes here are no less than 60. I have no idea why.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:32 AM

96 posts, read 337,139 times
Traffic-people not knowing how to drive
People-attitudes. Most(not all) seem to think that they are better than everyone else.
Weather-summers too hot, winters too cold, hate snow
Lack of scenery- I go outside and see....houses. Horrible looking houses. Some trees at least. Flat land. Boring.
Lack of outdoor activities- Fishing around here is horrible. Can only go to the beach so many times and it is usually crowded and not even that nice looking half the time. Could drive out to Indiana Dunes but kind of a long trip where I'm at. Not into city life.

Can't really think of anything I like about my state. Grew up here(30 years) and just doesn't feel like home. I never fit in here. Never been happy.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,539,619 times
Interesting thread.
It would be helpful if those posting could let folks know WHERE they are talking about.

For me, it is

1) Potholes everywhere.
2) Rusty cars, rusty bridges, etc from the winter salt.
3) Right now, the bare trees, lack of sun, and snow this week.

Frank

Old 10-28-2010, 06:42 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlina26 View Post
Traffic-people not knowing how to drive
People-attitudes. Most(not all) seem to think that they are better than everyone else.
Weather-summers too hot, winters too cold, hate snow
Lack of scenery- I go outside and see....houses. Horrible looking houses. Some trees at least. Flat land. Boring.
Lack of outdoor activities- Fishing around here is horrible. Can only go to the beach so many times and it is usually crowded and not even that nice looking half the time. Could drive out to Indiana Dunes but kind of a long trip where I'm at. Not into city life.

Can't really think of anything I like about my state. Grew up here(30 years) and just doesn't feel like home. I never fit in here. Never been happy.
LMAO! I read this and thought to myself, wow this sounds like Indiana and then I read where you said Indiana Dunes. I am jealous you are leaving for Washington. That was a place I wanted to go or Oregon. I think I am stuck here for life though. I havent been to Lake Station for the exception of going through on the South Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues