Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 AM

9 posts, read 5,312 times

Advertisements

To the meat of it: I made a massive mistake in college. I got a mediocre internship coupled with a history degree. Time-travel has me getting a computer science degree. It is what it is. I graduate in May. I've got about 20 grand that I've saved via working menial jobs my whole life. I have a car, paid off. That is all I have.

I currently make 12 bucks an hour at a bank in the Midwest. I could probably get a sales/customer service/whatever job upon graduating via local networking making 15-18 an hour with bennies, and a solid, safe career progression in a job I dislike, in a location I dislike. I understand that a normal person would do this for 5-8 years, tell their friends they like the job to boost self-esteem, buy a house, create people to feel purpose, then look for a lateral move within the corporation to a more desirable locale. Alas, I just can't square that. I know what I want: to move to the beach, and start my life from scratch. I've lived at the beach in youth. If there is one thing I am sure of about myself, it is that I truly do love the beach.

I guess, in my 2:00am-on-a-Tuesday moment of weakness here, I am asking for a pat on the back? I come from a family of small town Midwesterners who have never really taken a chance in life such as what I am proposing. It's tough for me to gauge just how crazy or silly I am in my decision-making here; I have nobody to bounce these thoughts off with that knows what they are talking about.

I want to move to either Wilmington, NC or somewhere on the Florida coast. The economy is tough in both locations. I know there will be a barrage of well-intentioned (and potentially, *gasp*, correct) folks telling me to stay put. I can't. I know what I want location-wise. I have no illusions about the fact that it could very well be Wendy's assistant manager jobs for a year or two until I can solidify something. I'm at peace with that.

I'm a 24 year old healthy male, what's the worst that could happen?

Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,244 times
What's the worst that could happen? Becoming a 54 year old unhealthy male on CD posting that he had this dream, didn't follow it, and regretted it all this time. It may not be easy-following dreams usually isn't-and it may not work out the way you want it to, but you will never know until you try. However, the decision is your's to make. Do your research on the areas you want to move to, as far as jobs, cost of living, and all that good stuff then decide what you want.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM

96 posts, read 337,051 times
You're 24. Have a paid off car and money saved. Go for it!!! You only get one life. If you know you will be unhappy where you are, leave. Personally, I live in Indiana and am miserable here. Grew up here and have never left. I'm 30 years old, married, but no kids. Why waste time somewhere where I am unhappy? Hubby wants to move too. So we are doing it. Moving to WA. Most of our family doesn't understand. Both of our families have always lived here. My dad is the only one that supports our decision to move and that's because he finally got out of here a few years ago and moved to Texas. The worst that could happen is you won't like where you choose to move to. You are young and could move again. Even though you have 20 grand saved, start out renting a cheap apartment and look for any job right away. That way you don't blow through the 20 grand and can have money saved still for an emergency or in case you want to move again. You have to do what is best for you and will make you happy and if that means moving, so be it. Good Luck!!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Congrats on saving a good sizable emergency fund!
As amberlina26 mentioned, use caution when using your emergency fund; find an inexpensive place to live in the meantime and find a job ASAP.
Good luck to you; you have everything ahead of you!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
As most companies only accept online job applications just keep the cv's going out to companies within a reasonable proximity to big water, when one finally comes home with a job thats where you will be living on the beach. In the mean time i'd stay put and explore networking potentials. good luck

Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
Go for it! You're 24 years old, have money and you have a paid car. You're right, you might have to work at a fast food restaurant as a manager but you'll have the life you want. I'd rather work for a couple of years in a crappy job but in the environment I love then have a good, stable job but hate my life because I can't stand where I live.

Let someone else said, do it now before you become a 50-something man who is miserable with your life and complaining here on CD.

Pick either NC or FL and research the areas and go for it. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,543 times
Let go of the the weeds that grow along the stream through life. Let the water take you to new places.

I left home with less then you and traveled all over the USA, came beck & realized those I left behind were just as they were when I left.
Do it, but without fear; Do it because you want to see whats out there.
Good luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM

232 posts, read 676,569 times
I say do it! Don't live life with a "what if." You're young and sound like you're willing to do anything to make it work. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
My advice? Set forth boldly and with brave heart to follow your dream. Beaches make you content? Then live by the beach. You already see the road your life will take if you stay put. Opt for the unexplored life that promises a new adventure.

Me, I moved 3000 miles from home to live in CA when I was your age and upset my family. But in retrospect, I've absolutely no regrets. After 30 years in CA, tired of city life, it was time to move 3000 miles again--but not back to my home state--instead, to a small beachfront town! It's wonderful.

Good luck...make your move, it will not be boring when your heart beats faster in anticipation. The other road of staying put sounds like a spirit-killer.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I will not be giving you a pat on the back. I will be giving you a shove! Go for it! I married young and have been stuck in the midwest my whole life. Move before you get married and start having kids. This is the time to explore and find out who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues