Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,627 times

Advertisements

Been looking at a way to ship my car from NY to FL, during xmas week.
First of all, the reviews I've been reading of the transport companies are pretty awful - yes, there are good reviews but it seems like every company has horror stories.

But in addition to that, the transporters all say the car has to be empty.
We want to ship a bunch of our stuff, too - things that we can't put in luggage, or ship via UPS or Post Office. Things like area rugs, some small pieces of furniture, books, art work, maybe even a desktop computer.

Any suggestions on who to use / how to do the move?

BTW - We looked into Autotrain. 1 - It's already Booked when we want to go, and 2 - it's a 5 -6 hour drive pre autotrain, and another 5 hours post-autotrain even if we could get a room on the train. And I am just not up to driving 5 hours in one day - 3 - 4 hours is my limit for sitting in a car. (I can Fly for over 12 hours without issue, but something about a car gets me after only a few hours )

I've also had a couple of people offer to drive my car down for me. But both were smokers, and I don't want smoke in the car. They SAID they wouldn't smoke - but would YOU believe someone who said that? I wouldn't! Also, these are people I don't know - one I met in a restaurant while I was discussing this situation - he overheard & introduced himself. Other was from craigslist - even more unreliable I think.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 04:13 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
You might try calling some of the colleges around and see if 2 of there college student who live in FL want to drive your car down. It's a little last to find someone at this point most have there airline tik's allready. Do you have anyone at your church you know, or at work that would do it, and you would fly them back. I would be very leary of someone you meet at a restaurant or off craigslist.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:03 PM

No one I know would drive that far.
Most are either retired like me, or work & can't afford the time off from work that it would take to do this.

Having seen too many college kids around here driving 70 in 30 mph zones as a matter of course, I'd be very afraid of a college kid driving my car! :-)

Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
Operating under the Department of Transportation, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration approves the licensing of motor carriers to transport motorized vehicles as general freight in interstate commerce.

Only licensed household goods and personal property motor carriers are allowed under DOT regulations to transport motor vehicles loaded with 'stuff'.

If a auto or rail transporter is found to be transporting cars, trucks, trailers, boats, SUVs or ATVs loaded with stuff they could incur a large monetary fine and/or lose their federal operating authority. In addition, both your vehicle and your things could be impounded. That's why no one will commit to do what you want.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,556 times
Most reputable shippers will insist that your vehicle be empty....The shipper will need your key and will not assume responsibility for your personal property.....and every vehicle shipped is subject to search by law enforcement....there is also an insurance issue, wherein should the transporter be involved in an accident, where the cargo (vehicles) are damaged....none would be foolish enough to assume responsibility for that antique lamp that also happened to get broken.

I would personally trust someone that admitted being a smoker and agreed not to smoke....long before I would trust a craigslist listing....good luck

Old 12-11-2010, 05:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
I checked the autotrain has slots on 12/20 open. If you can fly 12hrs, can you drive 2.5hr? take a 1 hr break then drive the last 2.5? I think that would be your best bet.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:38 PM

I can't go on 12/20. Have commitments in NY until 12/23.

This whole thing has become a problem we didn't expect. I am aware of the DOT laws so I know that effects me.
As an alternative, we would probably not ship computer & get a new one down there, and only put things in car like area rugs. I wonder if That would be a problem. Afterall, some people do have carpets in their cars.
And drivers need books to read during their layovers, so why not some books in the car.

Furniture? Hmmm - problem. Probably have to leave in NY.
Biggest problem we are having is the artwork - it's original stuff, and is supposed to be on exhibit down in Fla in January. Won't fit in suitcases. Shippping in boxes made for shipping art costs about $100/piece! Aaargh!

I think my ONLY solution is to find a Driver. Like I said, no one I know will do this. I can google people, but just how much can I find out about someone to feel secure with them driving my car? I doubt enough. sigh

Pardon my rambling - thinking out loud!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM

8,478 posts, read 6,880,671 times
I moved cross country from the Midwest to California two years ago. We had our car transported. The company we dealt with said it was ok to put some personal property in the trunk and back seat. Everything was safely delivered.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I moved cross country from the Midwest to California two years ago. We had our car transported. The company we dealt with said it was ok to put some personal property in the trunk and back seat. Everything was safely delivered.
Remember who you used?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,564 times
Since the contents of the vehicle aren't listed on the carrier's bill of lading, who do you think is responsible if some things mysteriously 'disappear' or are legally removed during a port of entry compliance check, DOT inspection, or terminal exchange?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues