Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:57 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,010 times

Advertisements

A professional mover will load a rental truck, moving van or mobile portable container at an average density rate of about 6.1 lbs per cubic foot.

Using all the tips of the trade, an inexperienced do-it-yourselfer is lucky it they achieve 4.2-5.0 lbs per cubic foot. That suggest you can expect to load somewhere between 4300 and 5100 lbs into a 16' - 1024 cu ft. (16'x8'x8'). This number will drop dramatically is you plan to add a motorcycle.

Although the price is dropping, fuel costs for all motor carriers normally increase when it gets warm because of the seasonal price for the summer blend.

If the company's contract says that you can't ship a motorized vehicle inside their unit and then something happens because you do, you will be 100% legally liable for any damage or loss that occurs because of your decision to violate the terms of the transportation agreement.

Have you ever seen what happens to a Harley (and the contents around it) when a careless fork lift operator drops the container or punctures the wall and spears it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 10:35 AM

9 posts, read 27,033 times
Have you ever seen what happens to a Harley (and the contents around it) when a careless fork lift operator drops the container or punctures the wall and spears it?

No, actually I havent but I assume you have. Please post your photos. I'll take my chances, but thanks for your concern. The bike weighs 700#. The local foreman told me the contents of POD cant exceed 7000#. Even with my toolbox and others stuff, I estimate my total contents will not even come close to 4000#
By the way, PODS no longer offers AAA discounts. They do however offer a 10% discount to veterans both past and present.

Last edited by midnightrider951; 04-22-2016 at 10:43 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,077 times
Default Put pods out of business!!!

WARNING!!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! SERIOUSLY. They will hold your possesions hostage and charge added fees. They will never give you a direct quote. Once they have your things they will automatically take money from your account. If you try to take you credit card off there billing, they will refuse to send you your Pod. They will force you to sign an aggreement absolving them of any responsiblity of the condition of your things before they deliver it. If you don't sign it then refuse to deliver. IT IS A SCAM! THEY ARE CRIMINALS!!!!

The Better Business Bureau rates them an A but they're approval rating is 43%.

BEWARE! DON'T USE PODS!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2017, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 11,789 times
Default Having Bad experience with PODS

Yes - i wonder too why this company is still in business.

Its policy is inflexible, over-priced for the products and services. And customer rep. just wanted to get you hooked on a contract with all the false promises. In one occasion, I requested the rep to note down what she told me (too good to be true) into my order so it can be tracked. She assured me that she had written down. The next day, i called to verify with a different rep. nothing was written down! Beware!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,448 times
I was all set to use PODs until I read all the horrible Yelp reviews. I think I will save myself the aggravation.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:44 PM

243 posts, read 224,622 times
I used to work for the City of Glendale in California, and was in the section that gave permits to place PODS on public streets.
No lie, people will come in to get permits on a daily basis! Definitely PODS are popular for movers.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I guess it depends on how much you have to move & how far, when we moved about 200 miles within the same state, lst year, I proced out many options, including PODS, & went with a local mover who gave me a quote that was cheaper than using U Haul plus paying someone to load/unload the UHaul & definitely cheaper than Pods. Of course we did not have much furniture to move, threw out alot of stuff to start over in our new residence. So my advice is shop around.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:11 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,415 times
I shopped around a bit and the prices I got for a small container going about 2K miles was around $2,600. This is absurd, and pretty much equivalent to shipping my stuff business class. I could fly to Europe and back several times for this money. The shipping companies keep trying to reengage me, and I figure most of this is pure profit for them.

What I'm doing is opening all the boxes I packed earlier and tossing everything that can go. This weekend I'm having a big yard sale and saying bye-bye to my expensive baggage.

I'll be shipping the rest of it using Amtrak freight and a few larger pieces via Greyhound shipping. Total cost should be around $500-$600. That's enough.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
I know this is an old thread but also don't want to start a duplicate.

I am currently selling my condo in Florida, have it listed as furniture negotiable, have moving co quotes if sold unfurnished.

If it sells furnished I was thinking of a relo cube for all my personal crap that is way to much for my car.
How secure are they? Do I put my own lock on it?

Old 11-13-2017, 12:56 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
The ABF U-pack ReloCube is very secure. It is all metal, and yes, you put your own lock on it.

https://www.upack.com/moving-service...-container.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues