Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Might be cheaper and easyer to sell it off in Calf, and use the money to put towards a new(er) car.
If the original poster is ready to trade up, and buy a newer car, that could be a good idea - but if not? A 1993 Honda can be a great car - and if you know it's reliable, then it's worth keeping. There's no way I'd trade an old car I know, and that I've maintained, for a mystery old car, at the new location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Park it at a friends house, a storage facility or somewhere safe, until you have the time to fly back and drive it....
This is the best idea in my opinion. And I've done it! I only moved 300 miles, but I left my car parked in front of my old house, and drove the moving van to my new location. Then the next day I took the train to my old city, and spent the night in my old house, and drove the car to my new home the next day. It made for a long weekend, but it wasn't hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 AM

58 posts, read 194,072 times
Thanks for the imput. Boy, some of you are pretty bruttal in your comments. First of all, the 1993 Accord is a one owner car (me), and has less than 50,000 original miles. It is well maintained, has new tires, and gets the oil changed, and just got an all around check. It is not a junk heap. Also, blue book on the car in just fair condition is around $2500. I know there are gas expenses, and hotel, etc. I am looking into online transport businesses to see if I can get some reasonable help there.....have no relatives who can keep the car in L.A. for me, until I can get back to get it. Also, I am a care giver for my 80 yr old mother, so I can't leave her, and come back down to L.A. to pick up the car. Thanks for the opinions-I am really not as dopey as I sound-I just retired from working in law enforcement/non-sworn for 20 years-so I know not to trust anyone..............my new home is 900 miles away, so it is at least an overnight stay in a hotel for me-and I don't like the idea of a woman alone driving all that way......................

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM

130 posts, read 426,408 times
Default approach with caution

Be prepared to be stalked if you decide to go this route. I remember one summer, missionaries were going door to door and I made the mistake of speaking to them. After that, I could not get rid of them. Scared the bejeebies out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I was going to suggest contacting some church folk up in Idaho, usually Mormons have lots of college kids hanging out...but your car is too old.

Fyi...for general moving help, I am not even mormon, but have contacted this church, they have a huge network of folks willing to help you out, once I was stuck in a new town, no friends or relatives and spouse sent away. I had three little ones, and a huge house full of boxes to unpack. I called this church and they sent over a team of young men and women to help me. I ordered pizza, and they were so great. I paid them for their help, they did noto want the money. Truly blessed that day. I needed the help so bad. Better yet, I met some great kids who then became my "network" of babysitters, and yard helpers.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
Be prepared to be stalked if you decide to go this route. I remember one summer, missionaries were going door to door and I made the mistake of speaking to them. After that, I could not get rid of them. Scared the bejeebies out of me.
Wow, that's unusual. With over 800 convert baptisms a day, they generally don't bother continuing to talk to people who have said they're not interested. There are almost always enough interested interested individuals that they don't waste their time with people who have said, "Please don't come back."

Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaHoeHotPotatoe View Post
I just retired from working in law enforcement/non-sworn for 20 years
have you asked ANY of your LAPD contacts to hook you up with another retiree moving up to ID or UT?

it seems like half of the LASD has gone there.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
The Mormons never "stalked" me..they are nice folks. I am not a fan of religion, but these people are okay. They always invited my kids to their parties, even though we did not go to their church.

See if you can connect with a church in your area, and see if anyone will help you out. I think you look under latter day saint church.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,749 times
The usual way to get your car driven somewhere else is to post it on the local university bulletin board either at the library or in the student center. I don't know what the going rate is to pay them, but it's not much, and they will be thrilled to have a way to get where they need to go and earn a little cash.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I think you have an offer that seems reasonable on here and good luck to you .

Old 06-11-2011, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,970 times
Hello. While the concern and honest advice of the replies you've received here thus far are cautious, intelligent, and clearly well-intended, the reality is you do have an able, honest, and very available driver out here who can help you with your car transport situation if you're still in need of it. This goes for any other reader as well. I am in the Dallas area with roots in Southern Cal and have been in the process of developing my own business offering this very service wherein I go anywhere in the U.S. (soon to be anywhere in North America) to where ever the vehicle is located and will safely and professionally drive it myself to where ever it needs to to be taken. You can even pack things in it to be transported with the car if you like (yes, that includes Fido). Depending on where the vehicle is, I am flown to the pick up location and flown back from the delivery location. I will take it there expediently, safely, and with the highest degree of personal and professional integrity. I have been a licensed driver for over 30 yrs, am currently a corporate business professional with a Class A Professional Driver's License and long distance driving expertise, have a college degree, an impeccable driving record, have never taken an illegal drug of any sort, and can comfortably work with you on your cost needs. If you would like to discuss further and see if my service might be a good fit for what you're needing, please feel free to let me know and I'll be more than happy to chat with you about it at anytime. And no, I don't have any personal qualms about the year, make, and model of the vehicle. As long as it is in drivable condition for the trip, has current registration tags or stickers, is properly insured for me to drive it on the owner's behalf, is not stolen, and has nothing illegal being transported in it, I am happy to help you out. Thank you. SMC.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,470 times
Default HELP...on the flip side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott333 View Post
Hello. While the concern and honest advice of the replies you've received here thus far are cautious, intelligent, and clearly well-intended, the reality is you do have an able, honest, and very available driver out here who can help you with your car transport situation if you're still in need of it. This goes for any other reader as well. I am in the Dallas area with roots in Southern Cal and have been in the process of developing my own business offering this very service wherein I go anywhere in the U.S. (soon to be anywhere in North America) to where ever the vehicle is located and will safely and professionally drive it myself to where ever it needs to to be taken. You can even pack things in it to be transported with the car if you like (yes, that includes Fido). Depending on where the vehicle is, I am flown to the pick up location and flown back from the delivery location. I will take it there expediently, safely, and with the highest degree of personal and professional integrity. I have been a licensed driver for over 30 yrs, am currently a corporate business professional with a Class A Professional Driver's License and long distance driving expertise, have a college degree, an impeccable driving record, have never taken an illegal drug of any sort, and can comfortably work with you on your cost needs. If you would like to discuss further and see if my service might be a good fit for what you're needing, please feel free to let me know and I'll be more than happy to chat with you about it at anytime. And no, I don't have any personal qualms about the year, make, and model of the vehicle. As long as it is in drivable condition for the trip, has current registration tags or stickers, is properly insured for me to drive it on the owner's behalf, is not stolen, and has nothing illegal being transported in it, I am happy to help you out. Thank you. SMC.
Scott

I've got the reverse situation. I don't have the intention of starting a business; but around Labor Day of this year my wife and I will be flying to Seattle to spend a few days with a friend, and then going on to northern California to visit with the wife's brother and wife and then fly back to Ohio from Sacramento. I was quoted about $1,000 just to rent a car in Seattle and turn it in, in Sacramento a week later. There was a hudge additional charge to rent in one city and turn it in someplace else. Several years ago I know that there were reputable companies that were looking for drivers to provide this service for customers through their company. We would do this for someone (or some company) just to have the transportation. I found plenty of auto transporters; but none that would drive your car. Do you know of any companies that would provide this service from the Seattle area to California (any place from Sacramento to Medford, OR)? The $1,000 looks like it will be more that the round trip airfare for both my wife and I, and will probably be a deal breaker for the whole trip. The only other plan B, is for the both of us to fly from Seattle to Sacramento. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am an older person in good health and pretty active. I am an avid NASCAR fan and am used to driving long distances to races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues