Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

Take Southwest from Seattle to Sacrmento, that is a pretty cheap flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,970 times
Default Help.. on the flip side - reply

Hi Bouse,

First off, thank you for posting a response to my own initial response to IdoHoe who I trust and hope has found a resolution to his/her own original car relocation situation. If not, I'm still more than happy to help if needed. As for your Ohio-to-Seattle-to Sacto-to-Ohio scenario, a few things initially come to mind. I presume first off that you already have your round trip tix in hand. However, if not, as you've mentioned that you are not a stranger to driving long distances, if you have not yet purchased your airfare and are open to driving back to OH from CA but just need to get to Seattle via air travel, I can offer assistance by driving your car from OH to Seattle so that it will be there waiting for you. Then you can simply drive the rest of your trip for the price of gas. If that's not an option for you, you might consider a Southwest Airlines flight as the previous person suggested. They are typically pretty reasonably priced.. (I could even take your car from OH to Sacramento and you could fly from Seattle to Sacto and then drive home to OH). Or, you might consider looking at Autodriveaway.com. Though my startup company is basically a competing business, I am honest enough to suggest that it may be an option for you. You basically let them know where you're leaving from and driving to and they'll see if they can match you with a vehicle whose owner is needing it moved between those two locations. You basically pay a deposit and the gas. Of course, I'd much rather help you personally if it is feesable for you but, that's what I can come up with at the moment. Let me know if this helps at all. God bless.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM

58 posts, read 194,072 times
Thank you all for your responses....I may have found someone who can help me, but if not, Scott333, I will be contacting you regarding your offer.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,470 times
Scott,
Thank you for your reply. Time and money discourage the drive across country. Your best help was Auto drive away. This is the company that I had heard of previously. I have made contact with them, and they don't have anythjing this far out from Labor Day; but told me to check back. The problem with that is flying from Seattle to Medford or Sacramento is the only other option, and I probably need to obtain these tickets soon to get the best rate.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM

113 posts, read 450,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaHoeHotPotatoe View Post
Thanks for the imput. Boy, some of you are pretty bruttal in your comments. First of all, the 1993 Accord is a one owner car (me), and has less than 50,000 original miles. It is well maintained, has new tires, and gets the oil changed, and just got an all around check. It is not a junk heap. Also, blue book on the car in just fair condition is around $2500. I know there are gas expenses, and hotel, etc. I am looking into online transport businesses to see if I can get some reasonable help there.....have no relatives who can keep the car in L.A. for me, until I can get back to get it. Also, I am a care giver for my 80 yr old mother, so I can't leave her, and come back down to L.A. to pick up the car. Thanks for the opinions-I am really not as dopey as I sound-I just retired from working in law enforcement/non-sworn for 20 years-so I know not to trust anyone..............my new home is 900 miles away, so it is at least an overnight stay in a hotel for me-and I don't like the idea of a woman alone driving all that way......................
just want to say that a woman driving alone for a trip that long is very doable. i've gone on three road trips, each 1600 miles, within the past year in my 93 camry and nothing went wrong. i was really pleasantly surprised- people left me alone, my car was stuffed with my belongings and no one bothered it, all the hotels were fine, etc. of course, your comfort level is what matters above all else, but i just wanted to speak up in case you'd maybe heard one too many horror stories. i hope that you have figured out a way to transport your car and that your move goes well.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I also have driven long distance alone as a young women and have not had a problem. I try to be cautious though. When I stop overnight I try to plan where I will so it is a safe area and pick a hotel where you don't enter the room from the outside. When I stop for gas or to eat I do it either at one of those rest malls where they have a lot of restaurants and or an exit with similar. If there are very few people around then I wait till another one. I am not rude to people but don't strike up conversation with people I don't know. I also have a GSP and cell phone with car charger.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 AM

Thanks for your comments-I had a very nice man on the boards who was going to help me, because he was picking up cars in North Dakota, however, it is flooding up there, and he can't go back, so no dice on the car situation. I am ending up having the movers take the car inside the van-hope all goes well and the car doesn't get crushed. Guess that's what I have car insurance for....so will keep my fingers crossed. Also, no LAPD girl here-a local PD in Orange County................

Old 07-17-2011, 04:22 AM

Thanks, ladies, for weighing in on a woman driving alone. I have just had gall bladder surgery, and only have 4 days to get up there-and I have had complications with the surgery-so must take pain pills now to make it possible to function. Thus, I don't feel that I can drive alone-for very long at a time-and won't drive under the influence. If I had a longer period of time, this would be an option.....thus the decision to drive one car with my mother and the dog, and ship the other with the movers-it is costing me a bundle-but that is all I can do now.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaHoeHotPotatoe View Post
Thanks, ladies, for weighing in on a woman driving alone. I have just had gall bladder surgery, and only have 4 days to get up there-and I have had complications with the surgery-so must take pain pills now to make it possible to function. Thus, I don't feel that I can drive alone-for very long at a time-and won't drive under the influence. If I had a longer period of time, this would be an option.....thus the decision to drive one car with my mother and the dog, and ship the other with the movers-it is costing me a bundle-but that is all I can do now.

If it wouldn't cost you so much to fly me back and forth to Texas, I'd do it for you.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If it wouldn't cost you so much to fly me back and forth to Texas, I'd do it for you.
Go Greyhound, still! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues