Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay or Move
Stay In San Diego 3 15.00%
Move to Houston 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 7,835 times

Advertisements

This past week my close cousin approached me about living with him in Houston post September. He informed me that he recently purchased a home after earning a nice promotion. He added that, "I could live rent free and just worry about getting a job and paying [for my own] food."

I am originally from San Diego and I recently, just two weeks ago, graduated from Cal-Berkeley with a degree in History; I know its not the most glamorious of majors but I did exceptionally well and built up my resume during my four years in school. Furthermore, I have under $7,000 in total undergraduate loans (all low-interest federal loans). So I don't have to worry about a mountain of student debt in this economy.

I really don't want to stay in SD and want to start a new chapter in my life. I will have roughly $3,000 to my name when I make the planned move. I want to pull the trigger and say, "Yes, I want to move, its a chance of a lifetime."

What do you folks think? (I just turned 23 by the way)

Last edited by wishfulthinking619; 06-09-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,027 times
You couldn't pay me to live in Houston. We know two families (parents with young kids in both cases) who didn't want to pay more to live in San Diego and moved to the Houston suburbs in the past 3 years. Guess where they both are dying to move back to?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in Houston. We know two families (parents with young kids in both cases) who didn't want to pay more to live in San Diego and moved to the Houston suburbs in the past 3 years. Guess where they both are dying to move back to?
Thank you for your response.

Do you know what their motivations were for moving back to San Diego?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:42 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,916,615 times
Do you plan to take the bus? Houston doesn't have monthly bus passes.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
As much as I love Colorado we I would move back to San Diego if the right opportunity presented itself.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:36 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,636 times
I have to say I am not a fan of Houston, but I get wanting a change of scenery. It would be a pretty small commitment to go to Houston and check it out after graduation-you might even get a job, pay off your loans, save some money and then go live somewhere decent-or you may end up liking it there, you never know.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,050 times
[quote=wishfulthinking619;19524334]This past week my close cousin approached me about living with him in Houston post September. He informed me that he recently purchased a home after earning a nice promotion. He added that, "I could live rent free and just worry about getting a job and paying [for my own] food." I really don't want to stay in SD and want to start a new chapter in my life. I will have roughly $3,000 to my name when I make the planned move. I want to pull the trigger and say, "Yes, I want to move, its a chance of a lifetime."[quote]

What do you have to lose? You'll have free rent, you have some money saved up, and you can see what the opportunities are.
Sure, people will remind you, Houston has lousy weather, is sprawling and lacks public transpoertation, but maybe you'll find a job there that will allow you to get to know the rest of the awesome state of Texas. Places like Austin, the hill country, cities along the Gulf, etc...etc... It's a great state!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
You just graduated, have free rent available in a new city and not much debt. The other thing is that you arnet too crazy about coming back to SD. To me this answer seems pretty obvious so, not sure where the choose best answer survey came from

San Diego isnt going anywhere. Establish a career, make some dough, then figure out what you want to do. You might even like it in TX or any place else so long as you are open minded.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishfulthinking619 View Post
This past week my close cousin approached me about living with him...

What do you folks think? (I just turned 23 by the way)
I'd be willing to do something like this for someone...
but I think you're a bit too young for me.

Maybe your Mom would like NC? If so, tell her to send me a pic.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM

I appreciate all the comments I have been getting, it means a lot because I am charting my life. More feedback and insights would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues