Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM

296 posts, read 638,520 times

Advertisements

down here in georgia you really cant go outside for alot of the summer for long periods of time..if the smog wont get you the unbearable heat might, if youre still alive the extremely "thick" air where it feels like you cant breath could finish the job. no real fall or winter. i miss 4 seasons..beats hot, hotter and holy he#*.. wilkes-barre sounds like the place to be. sounds perfect to me. wish i could move tomorrow!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
I would go with Portland ME - and then 2nd choice of Portsmouth NH if you want to be closer to Boston. cost of living in Boston is sky high

Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM

90 posts, read 188,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pktp View Post
Actually, I don't agree that living in a warm climate means "giving up one's connection to the nature and earth". For me, all the greenery and abundant wildlife of warmer climates signifies more connection to the nature, not less. Winter is the time of stillness, death, and decay, nothing lives because ... it is literally too cold! That's what I find so depressing about winters. In winter, people spend less time outside too - which definitely means less connection to the earth!
I used to have the same sentiment toward winter, but even a short winter has some benefits, like spring time in Atlanta, which is truly glorious! An endless summer with hot sticky year round weather is too much grit for me, nature has no time to cleanse itself. And don't forget about the bugs and the bugs and the bugs....even a couple weeks of winter can kill some of them and bring them under control until they take over again in mid-summer. There is no way I could live somewhere truly tropical for this reason alone.

OP, I did extensive research about Kansas City for a friend moving there, and it seems to have a pretty good balance, and is kinda out west. Outside of the mid-latitude states I really don't know if there is a perfect balance. Northern western state will have longer winters, and the southern states longer summers.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM

61 posts, read 78,511 times
New York, Seattle or LA.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I'll have to second Boise again, it's where the Northwest and Rocky Mountain regions meet. Very seasonal here and every season almost lines up with the calendar dates. So summer lasted until yesterday afternoon and this morning feels like fall. We get just enough snow in the winter to enjoy it and then it melts off within a few days. If you want more snow just drive 45 minutes up to the mountains.

Plus we have a lot of direct flights to Seattle every day if you want to fly back and see friends. It's only about an hour flight.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 AM

508 posts, read 1,022,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I'll have to second Boise again, it's where the Northwest and Rocky Mountain regions meet. Very seasonal here and every season almost lines up with the calendar dates. So summer lasted until yesterday afternoon and this morning feels like fall. We get just enough snow in the winter to enjoy it and then it melts off within a few days. If you want more snow just drive 45 minutes up to the mountains.

Plus we have a lot of direct flights to Seattle every day if you want to fly back and see friends. It's only about an hour flight.
Before anyone tells that poor guy or gal to move to Boise... you might want to ask if he/she is blonde haired blue eyed... as someone who was not and spent too much of their youth running from the biggots in Idaho... it might not be the place to move... also I would not move to anyplace in Idaho if you have an IQ over 50... Asprin isnt good for you if your taking a bottle a day...

Seattle yes its beautiful, even spokane washington is better a dive yes but beautiful and dont have to worry about getting pulled over for brown while driving.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:18 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
Madison, Wisconsin-----see Ann Arbor, Michigan for comparisons.

You wont find the ocean, but several really serene lakes---including Lake Mendota.

Madison is a liberal city, being the home of the Univ of Wisconsin--------the atmosphere is generally liberal and live and let live.

There is a lot of activity and social happenings----State Street is generally alive and buzzing.

If you need an occasional trip to a bigger metro area Milwaukee is about an hour and 15 minutes away by car-----Chicago about 3 hours plus.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:26 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
IDK anything about Boise, except for their football team, but I came across this blurb:

Population: 205,600
% over 50: 30%
Median home price: $120,000
Top state income tax: 7.8% (*Social Security exempt)
Cost of living (as % of national median): 97%
If you're the type who can't survive without your symphony, art, and theater fix, you may have resigned yourself to staying in some pricey coastal burg during retirement. Take a look at Idaho's capital city instead.
Granted, Boise is no Manhattan. But its thriving cultural scene includes an opera company, a philharmonic orchestra, and a ballet. At Boise Art Museum, which focuses on contemporary American art, you'll see works by Ansel Adams and Chuck Close.
Catch shows at Boise State University's Morrison Center for the Performing Arts, which hosts not only classical events but also touring Broadway shows and such boomer draws as Merle Haggard and Kris Kristofferson. Or hit the annual Shakespeare Festival at the city's 770-seat outdoor amphitheater.
Residents also enjoy all the outdoor activities you might expect of a city that's flanked by mountains and bisected by a river full of fish — and that has a mild climate year round.
Another plus: Violent crime in Boise is little more than half the national average. That's a remarkable score for a city this size

Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
Sheena - you should work for the W-B Chamber of Commerce, or Convention and Visitors Bureau - you have me wanting to move there, and I have not wanted to move East of the MS river in 2 decades!!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pktp View Post
Can anybody explain to me what is so wonderful about "all four seasons"? I have lived in areas with four seasons for most of my life and I have to say that I hate it (the exception was a couple of years in tropical climate that I really enjoyed). Usually, in "four season" places it is way too cold and windy in winter, and way too hot and humid in summer. Snow storms, ice storms, just some disgusting cold rain and wind most of the year. Overall, there are maybe only a couple of weeks per year that are tolerable, not too cold or too hot (around 78 degrees, nice refreshing breeze, etc).
Not here - our winters aren't horrible - snow usually doesn't last that long, and summers are very dry - no humidity. It can get a bit windy in the winter - that's the one thing that bugs me, but usually on those days it means the wind is warming things up. We have been know to have 60 degree days in January....

I would say right now the last few weeks have been about as perfect as you can get. I love living back somewhere that has seasons! But it isn't for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues