Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyb2005 View Post

1) All four seasons – I want a white Christmas and summers that are warm enough to justify owning a swimming pool.
2) In or near a major city with plenty of restaurants, cultural events, shopping, a night life, and an abundance of things to do.
3) A thriving arts community, especially theatre.
4) Liberal/progressive.
5) Lush and green with good air quality and plenty of hiking and other outdoor activities.
6) Near the ocean or a nice lake for boating/swimming.
7) Tolerable traffic.
8) Affordable homes/reasonable cost of living for a household yearly income of 150k.
9) Good schools/good place to raise a family.
10) Low crime.

I'd like to stay as close as possible to the west coast, but I'd move just about anywhere in the U.S. if it matches my list! Thank you!

Asheville, North Carolina.

(Not out west, though.)

Salt Lake City, Utah.

(Pretty conservative, though.)

Boise, Idaho.

(I've heard good things!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Boise would fit the bill for you, but we tend to be a little on the conservative side. However we do have a little slice of Portland/Seattle called the North End that's much more liberal than the rest of the city.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 AM

167 posts, read 477,127 times
I think Boston would appeal to you. You just have to find where the good areas are to live. The medical is top notch and it's has some of the best education in the nation elementary on up.

Where we lived in southern Cali we had all 4 seasons within driving distance (I know it's not the same but maybe still an option). If my husband wanted snow he was free to drive himself up to Big Bear while I was at the beach with our kids.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Portsmouth, NH
LOVE portsmouth NH.. hip little city and close to boston.. Can't beat it.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Wilkes-Barre is still my recommendation. This city fits at least 97% of your criteria of good city according to your needs.

We fared well during the flood, in comparison to Agnes in "72. Our levey system protected most of the city of Wilkes-Barre. The hardest hit areas were outside of the city limits - Plymouth and West Pittston did experience some problems.

Take a look at us - we are an up and coming city, with four seasons, beautiful state parks, nearby skiing, lakes, hiking, and an active arts community.

Want to buy a house for 150 thousand or much less, and being near major cities such as New York and Philadelphia as well as the Atlantic Ocean - then think about Wilkes-Barre.

Wilkes-Barre - "In the middle of EVERYTHING!"

Old 09-14-2011, 03:37 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pktp View Post
Can anybody explain to me what is so wonderful about "all four seasons"? I have lived in areas with four seasons for most of my life and I have to say that I hate it (the exception was a couple of years in tropical climate that I really enjoyed). Usually, in "four season" places it is way too cold and windy in winter, and way too hot and humid in summer. Snow storms, ice storms, just some disgusting cold rain and wind most of the year. Overall, there are maybe only a couple of weeks per year that are tolerable, not too cold or too hot (around 78 degrees, nice refreshing breeze, etc).

I really don't get all that hype about the 4 seasons!! Does anybody else feel like me, or am I the only one?
To me the four seasons are appreciated for the Change.

The problem is exactly what you brought up (hot sticky , muggy summers)
Sometimes bitter cold winters.

Cold Springs.
Fall - PERFECT.

It realy is the change itself that I like. If I lived in a climte that was always the same it would be mundane.

Sometimes I would not mind a climate that had less extremes - like you mentioned.

Right now its damn near perfect in the Midwest and this is what i live for all year long!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:41 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
I would list Raleigh (the City of Oaks), North Carolina.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
@ pkpt re "can someone explain to me what is so great about four seasons?"

Actually, while people can explain it, we would be hard pressed to make you understand our affinity for the seasons, and why we find them beautiful and awesome to behold. For myself, it highlights the glory of nature of our earth, and mirrors life itself.

There are holidays that are made more special by the "backdrop" that the season provides.

While our demographics have certainly changed as a Country, most of America does not live in places where the change of seasons are barely detectible, and it is warm all year long.
But some people do opt to live in places such as Florida or Arizona, obviously.

I would rather visit once a year in the depths of February, than give up my connection to the seasons, nature and earth. However it's not important to you, and to others who opt to live in the Sunbelt. (I can think of no place that is cold all year that I have visited. I don't even think Alaska qualifies, but I would not want to live there, either, for much the same reason)

Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
@ pkpt re "can someone explain to me what is so great about four seasons?"

Actually, while people can explain it, we would be hard pressed to make you understand our affinity for the seasons, and why we find them beautiful and awesome to behold. For myself, it highlights the glory of nature of our earth, and mirrors life itself.

There are holidays that are made more special by the "backdrop" that the season provides.

While our demographics have certainly changed as a Country, most of America does not live in places where the change of seasons are barely detectible, and it is warm all year long.
But some people do opt to live in places such as Florida or Arizona, obviously.

I would rather visit once a year in the depths of February, than give up my connection to the seasons, nature and earth. However it's not important to you, and to others who opt to live in the Sunbelt. (I can think of no place that is cold all year that I have visited. I don't even think Alaska qualifies, but I would not want to live there, either, for much the same reason)
The time of the year that seasons are a big deal to me is fall and around the holidays. To me, on Thanksgiving and Christmas should be cold, not 80 degrees After the first of the year, I'm done with the cold and ready for spring, then summer. Last year it was cooler sooner and the leaves changed color which was very unusual. I really enjoyed it. I actually took some pictures.

I guess it's what you like.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

30 posts, read 191,695 times
Quote:
I would rather visit once a year in the depths of February, than give up my connection to the seasons, nature and earth.
However it's not important to you, and to others who opt to live in the Sunbelt.
Actually, I don't agree that living in a warm climate means "giving up one's connection to the nature and earth". For me, all the greenery and abundant wildlife of warmer climates signifies more connection to the nature, not less. Winter is the time of stillness, death, and decay, nothing lives because ... it is literally too cold! That's what I find so depressing about winters. In winter, people spend less time outside too - which definitely means less connection to the earth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues