Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
That's interesting that certain States are "hostile" towards people from California...you are all Americans. This attitude just doesn't exist in Canada....all that much anyway, most Canadians are too busy btching about immigrants or people who have been here for generations, but look like immigrants.
Eh ..... what about Quebec always turning their noses up at other Canadians and trying to secede?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You will still likely face hostility in Montana just because you are from California. Also keep in mind wages are going to be low there and cost of living will be high. Wyoming is pretty accepting of outsiders as long as you're a hard worker. I can't say anything about Idaho since I haven't lived there.
That only matters if you actually care about what other people think.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
That's interesting that certain States are "hostile" towards people from California...you are all Americans. This attitude just doesn't exist in Canada....all that much anyway, most Canadians are too busy btching about immigrants or people who have been here for generations, but look like immigrants.
We moved from Northern California to Coeur d'Alene Idaho and never once did we have anyone treat us differently since we were from Cali. We embraced the area and they embraced us. Looking back, sometimes I wished we had stayed in that area but the job market and job prospects were few and far between for my husband's work and so we moved to the East Coast.

I think sometimes it is your own personal attitude that upsets the locals rather than the fact that you are from California.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Local - Hey, are you sure you aren't from California?

Me - Dude, like no way from So Cal bra.

Bad situation?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
We moved from Northern California to Coeur d'Alene Idaho and never once did we have anyone treat us differently since we were from Cali. We embraced the area and they embraced us. Looking back, sometimes I wished we had stayed in that area but the job market and job prospects were few and far between for my husband's work and so we moved to the East Coast.

I think sometimes it is your own personal attitude that upsets the locals rather than the fact that you are from California.
I think that's very true. If I'd moved to Oklahoma expecting all the stuff I was used to in socal, I'm sure the neighbors would not be so friendly. But then, I like the open space a whole lot better than endless tracks of houses and stores even if its a drive to the major stores. Culturally where you go from California will never be the same, but you should know that before you go and if you feel you can't live with that, don't move. Or if its something your stuck with, keep your impulses to yourself.

I wish the people who poured into socal had not made it into what it is today but they brought their ideas and changed it. Most of the places California expats are going are places where its different since the desire is to leave that behind. If you truely hate it, people will know. But if you come to find a different place, they will too.

I love my new state, not everything of course, but I came knowing I wouldn't. I reccomend it to people who will come and accept its its own place, but hope those who come since its cheaper to live but hate everything else stay where they are.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
A subject I know well, I moved to California from Delaware, then to Arizona, back to California and then back to Arizona all in the past 20 years. People always object to Californians until we reach for our checkbooks. When the bubble was still inflating Californians were walking into other markets able to pay cash for houses others struggled all of their lives to afford. I have been on both sides of that equation, on one occaision a little old lady from Lafayette Hills paid me double what I had paid for my house only two years earlier. She took one look at the living room and paid my price. My neighbors thought I had paid too much. Once they have made enough money off the rich outsiders theyt realize that they are no longer in charge, then they really get mad

Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 22,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
A subject I know well, I moved to California from Delaware, then to Arizona, back to California and then back to Arizona all in the past 20 years. People always object to Californians until we reach for our checkbooks. When the bubble was still inflating Californians were walking into other markets able to pay cash for houses others struggled all of their lives to afford. I have been on both sides of that equation, on one occaision a little old lady from Lafayette Hills paid me double what I had paid for my house only two years earlier. She took one look at the living room and paid my price. My neighbors thought I had paid too much. Once they have made enough money off the rich outsiders theyt realize that they are no longer in charge, then they really get mad
Flippers are the robber barons of our time. They steal from the next generation and create a new crop of hopelessly indebted slaves. Its sad to see how bad society is raping its own future.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Huh? The above doesn't sound like flippers, it sounds like people moving to places with a bubble real estate market. It takes two to tango- someone to pay the price, someone who wants that price to be paid, which is what I thought the poster was talking about "opening the checkbook." If local people didn't sell at bubble prices, there would be no transaction, and I don't think everyone is being priced out due to taxes. It's their home to sell, if they want to make money in a situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues