Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM

420 posts, read 704,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Amen to the above - even if you don't think your cat is the freak-out kind....

We have two friends that lost their pets during moves. One stopped at a rest stop and took the cat out of the carrier, cat totally freaked, scratched her very deeply and was gone....

Another was moving with their "outdoor" kitty and decided during a stay at a hotel to take him on a walk with a leash and regular collar since he was used to being outside. Cat freaked, slipped the collar and was gone..

OK, that is a horror story I dare not want to happen. Thanks for Phoenix and Bakeneko, I was toying with the idea of letting her out of her cage for a little at a time but I'd sooner keep her locked up for 10-12 hours than risk losing her at a random stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM

420 posts, read 704,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Amen to the above - even if you don't think your cat is the freak-out kind....

We have two friends that lost their pets during moves. One stopped at a rest stop and took the cat out of the carrier, cat totally freaked, scratched her very deeply and was gone....

Another was moving with their "outdoor" kitty and decided during a stay at a hotel to take him on a walk with a leash and regular collar since he was used to being outside. Cat freaked, slipped the collar and was gone..

Yikes, that is a horror story I dare not want to happen. Thanks for Phoenix and Bakeneko, I was toying with the idea of letting her out of her cage for a little at a time but I'd sooner keep her locked up for 10-12 hours than risk losing her at a random stop.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
I wouldn't let her out for any reason myself... I know it's tough on them but we've moved many,many times (once to Japan and back) and haven't lost anyone yet.

I also don't confine her to a room and trust that the moving men won't open the door - keep her in a crate while the packing out and moving in are going on...

Both my friends that lost their pets were active duty military executing a change-of-station move so hanging around to look for their lost pet wasn't an option.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
If people could give me some of their experiences on long distance travel with pets (preferably cats) I would appreciate it. I am moving from Springfield, Mo to Columbus, Oh in December with my cat. The jury is still out on whether I am hauling my belongings in a uhaul trailer or truck. My cat is one of those cats who meows the ENTIRE time she is in a car. I'm nervous about driving with her on a 12 hour trip. Other peoples' experiences on moving with pets would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Oh heck, we used to cart our cats across country several times a year. But we rarely traveled more than 350 miles per day (which translates into about 6 or 7 hours of driving).

Just put them in the carrier and make sure it isn't in the direct sunlight. We would put hand towels in the bottom in the winter so it was more snuggly. In the summer it was too hot for towels (even though, of course, we used air conditioning in the car - it was still too hot).

They will get used to it in a day or so. Just talk to her and reassure her it will be ok and she'll get used to it. (make sure you have a roll of paper towels handy in case she gets car sick).

Never open the carrier when the car door is open. Ever. Ever.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
When we went into the hotel rooms and done bringing stuff in, including cat litter box, I'd open cage doors and get their food/water ready. Our one hid under bed, but I'd get her out with a box of treats rattling in the package. We never stayed more than 1 night so no maid to worry about--opening door.

One time we went w/ the only cat then on vacation to Florida. We'd take her w/ us in the morning in her carrier so the maid wouldn't open the door. I was paranoid about it, but better safe than sorry.

And, always check the carrier bolt/snap is secure, too, when you close it.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
A U-Haul trailer, biggest they have, is not really big. I think it's a 12' box or something. But it rented for $25/day plus insurance and no per-mile cost. With the trucks, on that far of a move you'll have huge bills for the miles. So, trailer would definitely be far less expensive than renting a truck. But can you fit all your stuff in it?

For moving cats, they'll probably be okay with it. Even if they howl for an hour or two, mine have always settled down and finally slept on long trips. I think there's a lot of truth in the advice about stay calm yourself and the cats will be less hyper.

I always take a couple of those shiny silver (mylar?) folding shades for car windshields with me, to drape over the top and side of the cat cages so that the cats always ride in shade. A little sun hitting a cage can make it too hot in a very short time, even on a hazy day.

I always carry proof of rabies and other vaccinations.

On a long trip, I also have a dolly or flatbed cart with me,too, in case I have to abandon the car/truck out on the Interstate and hike somewhere. I also have water and cat food with me, some at least. There have been lots of weird vehicle pileups and such, or wrecks like gasoline truck wrecks on the expressway and burns and melts all the asphalt, and people end up having to leave their vehicles for some reason, So, I always have some way to move the cat carriers so I can take them with me.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 PM

31 posts, read 61,129 times
I drove my 10 yr. old cat 1500 miles and it went pretty well. I 2nd on the Feliway. What we did was drive no more than 400 miles a day and I would let her have breakfast, go potty and have a nap and leave the hotel about 9:30 or 10 in the a.m. Make sure she is in a carrier and put a light blankie over it or things up against the carrier because that helps them feel more safe. I did not let her out, but we probably drove 6-7 hrs. at most. I also considered driving at night because of the darkness, but the blanket worked well to have the same affect.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:16 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
i have traveled up and down the east coast with 2 cats during this past year - you can ask your vet for something to sedate your cats or they also sell some products in the pet stores which are not as strong as what you get from the vet - one of my cat is horrible when it comes time to put her in the carrier but is find once she is in and during the ride - she actually liked investigating the new hotel rooms - my other cat once i have her carrier in the car and im ready to leave i let her out - she cant stand being confined and goes nuts - she has shredded one to many carriers on me - she is very good in the car and lays down and goes to sleep usually on top of the other cats carrier -

make sure your cats are confined in their carriers when getting in and out of the car
if you stay in a hotel make sure they are not near the door when leaving and open the door slowly
when entering peeking to make sure they are are not close when entering
make sure you bring food water and a litter pan - also some treats along the way is nice
bring each one a favorite toy or blanket etc in their carrier - its comforting to have something familiar
with them
make sure when your loading and unloading your truck your cats are confined in a room you wont be
going into - moving things in and out are very upsetting to them
my cats are strictly indoors only but if you let your cats go out dont do so for about a week so they
settle into the new place

lastly i would break up that trip 12 hours is very long for everyone - your cats are going to need to get out of their carriers and stretch - have something to eat and drink plus use the litter pan - i drive a max of 6 hours a day stopping once after 3 hours - there are lots of pet friendly hotels and motels along the way - i would calculate about where you will be after 6 hours of driving and call some the hotels and motels in that area - although the internet says the place may be pet friendly you should call and confirm - i have found some places have changed their policy without updating their website - good luck on your move

Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,801 times
Get a pack of "puppy pads" and put a pad in the bottom of the carrier in case of accidents. The pads are also useful to put under the food and water dishes in the hotel to clean up quickly in the morning.

I did 1750 miles in three days (9-10 hours each day) in a small car with two cats. One cat cried for the first hour, then it was silent except for cat-snores the rest of the trip. Those rolling luggage carts at hotels are great for schlepping the stack of carriers, litter box, and cat supplies to the room.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
We have traveled all over with kitties- even moved to & from Alaska from New Mexico.

We use a carrier for a medium-sized dog for our cat. Then half-way thru the trip, with doors to vehicle closed we put a kitty litter in. We make the kitty litter to fit in the carrier using a small plastic storage box.

We make sure kitty always has water. I use a tiny heavy crock so it won't tip.

When we get to motels we stuff pillows so kitty can't squish behind the bed. Our favorite motels are those that have a platform so pets can't get under the bed as it is traumatic having to drag kitty out to re-crate.

We used rx meds for our howling cat. Worked well.

Have a safe move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues