Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times

Advertisements

Change can be great! I spent my whole life within 20 minutes of where I was born. It was a great place to live, get an education, raise a family, have a career, etc., but I felt like I belonged somewhere else - someplace warm. I was tired of the cold, gray, gloomy Midwest where seven months of the year were too cold for me to enjoy the outdoors. After a series of major life altering incidents my husband and I decided to just do it.

We've been in Florida for eight months now and it has been wonderful. The weather is better than I imagined, the natural beauty is awe-inspiring, and I can be outside on a daily basis doing the things I enjoy. I miss the people and places of my past, but never want to move back there. I've joined some groups on MeetUp.com, in an effort to meet people and make new friends, and that has gone really well.

I also faced naysayers, some of which were very good friends, but you have to be true to yourself and follow your dreams. Ignore the negativity. Don't let others keep you from happiness. Personally, I wish I would've made this move sooner and I finally feel like I am where I belong. I have every confidence that you know yourself, know where you want to be, and will love your new locale, as well. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
As long as you don't expect the 'place' to make you happy I think it is the right move. It sounds like you have thought it out carefully - enjoy your new adventure!

This is the most important point of all. You do that and you're definitely setting yourself up for a lot more potential failure. Happiness is always from within. Nobody can "make you feel" anything. That's the statement of professional victims. How can life do anything but suck for those people? They're forever at the mercy of message board comments, the weather, and other random circumstances 24/7.

I see no cons in your situation. What does your plumber know? He needs to just step aside and not bother the person doing what he's probably too afraid to do himself.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,975 times
I'd wonder if the plumber is unhappy with his own situation? We move alot (husband was military and is now a gov't employee) and I hear that sort of negativity from people who feel stuck in their own lives...

I'd say go for it -

Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 AM

41 posts, read 54,248 times
Go for it! You obviously feel very strongly about this move. Do it! If you don't, you'll regret it. If you do it and it doesn't work out, at least you tried.

How exciting!!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I am 40 years old/no kids/ and lived in 1 entire city my whole life As far as I can remember I have always wanted to move out west. Well last year, I made my decision. I listed my house this year in Jan.?(fingers crossed it sells). Call it an early midlife crisis decision, but I want to do it. I have traveled extensively to the city I want to move to on "biz", so it's not exactly like I dont know what Im getting in to. Just had my plumber who's doing work for me,ask why I want to leave my home after 40 yrs..... He basically said that im making a big mistake and that basically i wont make it and will be home within a year.and why would i want to go to a city where you dont know anyone- Personally speaking, I need to get out of my hometown. I have outgrowned everything here. Personally can't stand the place.... I mean why not now... Im out of debt..-minus bills and the house of course. My mom is 70' yrs old. and in picture perfect health and would fly back to see her.... I know i shouldnt let other people dictate my actions on what I want to do....but his opinion was like a "kick in the gut".-Just wish I could get a little bit more encouragement.- "CHANGE" is good right?
Some times it is right for a change, if you really want to do this - do it.
I would rather regret doing the things that I did, rather than the things
I didn't do, or felt I left undone myself. Some people are just afraid of any change or taking any chances whatsoever (sounds like your plumber to me)...yes, there is a risk - but you only live once, as long as you are not hurting anyone have at it, and have fun. Life is too short, to not be happy and not go after your dreams. Enjoy the Adventure!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:11 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Change is good and it seems like you are in a position to take advantage of it. Your plumber is just jealous and probably sad that he'll be losing a customer. I would go for it, a new adventure is good, you never know what it will lead to.
Exactly.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Any way you could rent out your house for a year and rent in your new city for a year, that way you will be sure at both ends of the deal? I wouldn't rush into buying a home in your new city for awhile until you get to know the area anyway...without knowing where you are coming from and going to...it's hard to say whether you'd be better off or not. Will you have a job waiting for you or will you need to find one? Also, even though your mother is in great health right now, that probably won't always be so...if you are moving quite far away, then that might be an issue for you and her at a later date. Hey, I get that you want to move and you sound quite sure that this is the right thing for you to do, nothing wrong with that...I'm just saying to cover your bases for awhile because big moves are, well, big moves!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Charlotte, NC to Phoenix, AZ...I know that a lot of people love Charlotte. - But its home to me...and I've outgrowned it....I work for a global company so it would be easy for me to transfer. Just need a change of venue. - Actually not looking at buying...would definitely be renting until I got to know the city a little bit better.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I moved half way across the country, mega suburb of socal to a smallish town here. Different culture, different mindset, and it was the best thing I've ever done. Most people said why would you do that? Your family is here. Your friends. You won't know anyone. Why there anyway? with a long string of what isn't here...

But I felt the need to change and start over, and I did. I feel like I connected to the ancestors who took off across the ocean out into some unknown place and reinvented themselves from their own resources, except they didn't have internet and phones and all that to keep in touch. But I moved with the knowledge that it WAS a one way trip since I don't have the money to reverse it. But that's okay since I won't be back.

Do it. Tell them you need to and smile. Don't try to 'justify' yourself since there's no need. And you'll be surprised when they know your going the people who will tell you how much they admire your courage since they'd like to but they are afraid.

They're the people who stayed for centuries no matter what came. Your the one who voted with the feet and left for something new.

Don't be surprised the first time you go back if it feels very very strange, as if you see it and hear it and it doesn't look or sound too different, but while you have memories there is this barrier between you and your old home. Very very odd feeling and I'd only moved less than six months before. But I went *home* calling it *home*.

Three very powerful words...take a chance

Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
You wouldn't believe the reactions I got when I decided to move from Florida to Alaska. I'd been in hot climates my whole life and couldn't stand another minute of it, but people down there swore I was going to freeze to death and come running back.

Every single person who gives you an opinion about what you're doing has one thing in common: they aren't you. That's not to say that their opinions have no value, but only you know what you need to do in your own life. You're not talking about moving to the moon, you just want a change. Good for you, for taking the initiative to make yourself happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues