Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM

48 posts, read 177,552 times

Advertisements

We've been wanting to leave California for a few years now, but have only recently come to seriously consider it. We're looking mainly at Montana, but are also considering Wyoming or possibly Idaho. We were wondering if anyone has any opinions about any of those three states.

I've read several posts in regards to these states and I want to emphasize that we are NOT bringing along our "California ideals and opinions", nor are we bringing any "bratty kids" (we neither have nor plan on having any; just us and our dog), and we ARE aware that winters are like twenty times harsher than a Southern California "winter". We are also NOT looking to buy land and build an oversized, over-priced home that causes property tax to raise. We just want to move away from an oversized city to a smaller, more community based city. We won't say 'less hectic', because we are aware that every community, large or small, has it's own type of hectic lifestyle. We would like an area where outdoor activites (hiking, hunting, biking, fishing, etc) are predominant.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or opinions, please let us know. we would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any tips about how to go about moving out of state that would be most helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 03:55 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
You will still likely face hostility in Montana just because you are from California. Also keep in mind wages are going to be low there and cost of living will be high. Wyoming is pretty accepting of outsiders as long as you're a hard worker. I can't say anything about Idaho since I haven't lived there.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:47 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
You will still likely face hostility in Montana just because you are from California. Also keep in mind wages are going to be low there and cost of living will be high. Wyoming is pretty accepting of outsiders as long as you're a hard worker. I can't say anything about Idaho since I haven't lived there.
Not so people from other states do not judge you if you say HI I just moved from CALifornia.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
My advice would be to move where you want and not say you moved from CA. Too bad it has to be that way, but it's reality in some places.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
I'd say above all to move near to a city, close enough so that you can easily access air travel, hospitals, and shopping. Don't move to any tightly-knit, inbred small towns - chances are you will never be really accepted (I say that from several personal experiences). You might have a chance if you go to a popular church, vote Republican, and the husband hunts and fishes.

This is also true to some extent of small town California. Small towns across the country tend to be similar, unless they are university towns, which helps make them more cosmopolitan and liberal.

Try something within driving distance of Missoula, Cody, Cheyenne, or Coeur D'Alene. If you need a job, North Dakota is hiring.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM

530 posts, read 780,373 times
I just have one question Mr Gar. Can you take me with you?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
1) Why are you thinking about moving to those states?
2) What are you seeking to move to/away from?
3) What sort of income/jobs are you looking for/do you have?
4) What sort of people are you (aside from outdoorsy)?

I'm not asking for my own edification, but really, there are so many places you can go in those states - and all of them are different. Just in ID - My brother lives in Soda Springs, ID, a very small town (5,000) by his ex-Californian figures - but enjoys fishing, hunting, skiing, hiking. It also has 4 Mormon churches in the town limits, some ok restaurants, a hospital, and a strong Republican attitude. People there are friendly and enjoyable; we were drinking in a bar on Christmas Eve and half of the folks offered us a ride 'home' to our motel - a block and a half away. West of there is Pocatello, a primarily liberal town, with twice the taxes, fees and police. Sandpoint is high-end, Boise is busy and bustling, there is a lot of space in between where people do as they please and just don't give a darn. Malad is primarily a Mormon intermarriage stronghold; when the 'flu hit in 2006, the whole town was quarantined - but danged nice and friendly people. From latitude to latitude, the attitude and lifestyle varies - are you looking to be a country mouse, or small-town mouse, what amenities do you require, what lifestyle do you support? Want to be a farmer or a rancher or grow your own cherries and apples, want to own a business, want to just be left alone?

My advice to you is to look at areas and towns on C-D that suit the demographics you seek, then go online to the newspapers of those areas and read, everything from headlines to classified ads, to get a feel for opportunities and lifestyles (high crime? Political mindset? Low rents? Wages and jobs?). Go on landsofamerica.com, where you can go state to state and see what is available in different areas and in your property size/price range. Then go into the forums on the different states, and read what people have to say about their states and areas. assimilate as much information as you can, and THEN go look at properties and towns, meet people, see what goes on and where you'll fit in.

3 Years ago, after 3 years of research, we bought a house and moved from SC to Nebraska. Because we had researched, asked, and planned, we already knew a lot about where we were moving to, so nothing was a big surprise. We have made lots of friends and love it here, and are happy with what we do and where we live. Don't buy a pig in a poke, just because you are pining to get away. Plan, read, think and plan some more.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:04 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
Not so people from other states do not judge you if you say HI I just moved from CALifornia.
Superchic, I don't know where you live but in Montana I have seen this.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
BTW, we made no secret of the fact that we came from SC. We were hit with what we call the Three Great Questions, and answered them honestly.
1) "Why are you here?" We wanted a place where there were no ordinances about what we could have, build, or do. We were looking for clean air, pure water, fresh food, and a comfortable and private lifestyle.

2)"How did you find us?" The Internet. That always floors people - that someone would actually go on the Internet, looking for the 'perfect place', investigating, questioning, and seeking answers to specific questions - then actually pack up and move. It wasn't as simple or as quick as it sounds - but it's fun.

3) "Do you have relatives here?" Nope, not a soul. But we have lived out West before and always wanted to get back to it. Now our relatives plan trips to come and see us - which means they don't stay as long, have a time frame where they HAVE to go home, and don't hang about borrowing money, getting us to do things for them, or telling us how to live.

We have a local friend who actually started the rumor that we were with Witness Protection; we sorta went with that because it was funny to all of us. It's still a running joke. We ARE different; we don't own a ranch, don't raise Angus cows (little Dexters instead), don't do things the way the locals do - but we don't try to tell them how to live, and they don't try to tell us. We have good relationships with people because DH can fix danged near anything, and I help out with their festivals and have a P/T job working at the high school, helping out with their kids. We share and smile and laugh and have cookouts and enjoy the people and the area immensely.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
BTW, we made no secret of the fact that we came from SC. We were hit with what we call the Three Great Questions, and answered them honestly.
1) "Why are you here?" We wanted a place where there were no ordinances about what we could have, build, or do. We were looking for clean air, pure water, fresh food, and a comfortable and private lifestyle.

2)"How did you find us?" The Internet. That always floors people - that someone would actually go on the Internet, looking for the 'perfect place', investigating, questioning, and seeking answers to specific questions - then actually pack up and move. It wasn't as simple or as quick as it sounds - but it's fun.

3) "Do you have relatives here?" Nope, not a soul. But we have lived out West before and always wanted to get back to it. Now our relatives plan trips to come and see us - which means they don't stay as long, have a time frame where they HAVE to go home, and don't hang about borrowing money, getting us to do things for them, or telling us how to live.

We have a local friend who actually started the rumor that we were with Witness Protection; we sorta went with that because it was funny to all of us. It's still a running joke. We ARE different; we don't own a ranch, don't raise Angus cows (little Dexters instead), don't do things the way the locals do - but we don't try to tell them how to live, and they don't try to tell us. We have good relationships with people because DH can fix danged near anything, and I help out with their festivals and have a P/T job working at the high school, helping out with their kids. We share and smile and laugh and have cookouts and enjoy the people and the area immensely.
When I, a third generation California native, decided I wanted to move to Oklahoma after getting invited to by a friend who lives here, and did lots of research online and made plans to look at houses. Already had someone who would cosign in the family who recognized I didn't fit there. The moment I got here I just knew it was the place. Three years in and I am even more sure. Now a sil who went to Oregon to get away from socal is moving here the beginning of next month so I really WILL have family around.

Number one question people ask when I finally did tell people where I intended to move was "Why would you want to move there?" All except one very nice lady from here who wished she could go back.

I applaud anyone who is willing to pull up roots and transplant themselves when they don't like where they came from. It's an act of giving yourself permission to be yourself. I've had a lot of comments from people who wished they dared try. But you know, there is *always* risk and you have to learn not to be afraid of it. If we were made to be that way, we'd all live in a big crowded village just out of Africa and the rest of the world would be without us.

I don't make it any secret where I'm from, nor that I'm different from most. I was in socal. I tend to be awake at two am and dead asleep at nine in the morning (aka nightbird...) and am pagan, but its not a big deal. Without that big crush of popuation and that instinctual fight for your little bit of space people are different and don't need to build walls around themselves. Sometime or other I got used to the local version of "hurry" which could mean a month from now and it doesn't bother me anymore.

But a few blocks out from where I live is open space and your out of our little 9k town and that's worth it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues