Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times

Advertisements

I'd live with parents if I had to, because I have young kids. But my parents would undoubtedly loan me money so I could afford not to live with them. They value their privacy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:48 PM

63 posts, read 51,416 times
Depends on who you are.

If you're a young healthy male who looks like he can handle himself at least a little, "homelessness" in the US is not so bad if you at least have a car.

I lived in my car in San Diego for three months. I showered at the gym. Slept like crap. Got in my first fist fight. But most nights it was calm and peaceful.

A young sexy girl wouldn't make out as well, obviously...

Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Unless I had a horrible home life I wouldn't consider being homeless.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
We moved in with my in laws for a year so we could save money for the move my boyfriend wanted to make, it was depressing to say the least. They're OK people but living with them turned out to be a nightmare. They watched our every move and had comments on everything. It was really bad at times, no privacy, no choices, keeping the peace took all our energy ....Even though it was temporary, it seemed like a waste of our lives and for what?? You know, at times I really wondered if it was worth it.
So if the situation is bad and volatile everyday at your parents, being homeless may seem like the better option. But being homeless is dangerous and you may not be able to sleep for long periods of time, your health may suffer to where it's irrepairable....

Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Depends on who you are.

If you're a young healthy male who looks like he can handle himself at least a little, "homelessness" in the US is not so bad if you at least have a car.

I lived in my car in San Diego for three months. I showered at the gym. Slept like crap. Got in my first fist fight. But most nights it was calm and peaceful.

A young sexy girl wouldn't make out as well, obviously...
It'd be hard to get away with living in a car where I live. Too many cops here. I work overnights at my job and I feel like I can't even listen to a song in my car without cops driving by and giving me the look.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
We moved in with my in laws for a year so we could save money for the move my boyfriend wanted to make, it was depressing to say the least. They're OK people but living with them turned out to be a nightmare. They watched our every move and had comments on everything. It was really bad at times, no privacy, no choices, keeping the peace took all our energy ....Even though it was temporary, it seemed like a waste of our lives and for what?? You know, at times I really wondered if it was worth it.
So if the situation is bad and volatile everyday at your parents, being homeless may seem like the better option. But being homeless is dangerous and you may not be able to sleep for long periods of time, your health may suffer to where it's irrepairable....
That's how I felt living with my mom. It was like having a constant online stalker commenting/broadcasting everything I did.

It's certainly not a decision to take lightly, to choose being homeless over living with someone else. There are a lot of programs these days to help the homeless if they're willing to try. I can't speak from experience there but maybe people who didn't learn the skills of life at home might do better with a little help. Is that worth sleeping on a cot in a shelter or in your car, I don't know personally.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
I have made that choice. I was homeless for six months when I was 20 rather than living with my mom. Her place is chaotic with constant fights and I was better off couch surfing or sleeping on the night bus. But if the option was staying with my dad or be homeless I would definitely choose to live with him regardless of how old I was. Being homeless is no picnic even if you are able to couch surf here and there. And yes, couch surfing is being homeless. If you don't have a home you're homeless.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,557 times
I don't understand why someone would rather be homeless than live with their parents (if the situation at home was fine). Maybe it's just coming from a different background? We plan on moving back in temporarily while we pay off debts. It's a smart financial move and a mostly empty house anyways.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
What about the parents' point of view?

They raised you and made financial sacrifices for you. Perhaps now its their turn. Look, they have NO obligation to you once past 18. they can change the locks and you are SOL. Also, they are under NO obligation to provide you with the house/home of your dreams rent-free, or rent subsidized. So...Grow Up! If you don't the "the 'rents" go create your own home, or quit whining about their's

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Lizita is correct. Not having a fixed address or roof over ones head does make the person homeless. There are MANY homeless who are "invisible". This is a real term. They are not under a tarp in a public place and look like you or me. But they are displaced, with each night being a guess of where they will stay. I stayed at a run down motel for a week many years ago between apartments. When i say between, i mean the future apartment had not been found yet. Was I homeless? I think so. Still worked, carried on but it was scary. Regardless my heart goes out to ALL who are going through this. Humans need shelter no matter who they are and where they come from. May they find thier safe place to begin again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues