Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 PM

105 posts, read 330,617 times

Advertisements

So far I've had so many major setbacks that I still still have 13 hours to go before getting to my destination. We were suppose to leave at 9am, instead we left at 4!! First we had to rearrange the truck, Then we could not figure out the car carrier, took us two hours, then one of the damn straps came off, so we had to fix that. (We noticed the truck kept jerking).

Now I'm super irritable because I'm suppose to be in Dallas by a certain time but it's not happening

Anywhoo, did your move go as you planned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 PM

553 posts, read 479,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne_ View Post
So far I've had so many major setbacks that I still still have 13 hours to go before getting to my destination. We were suppose to leave at 9am, instead we left at 4!! First we had to rearrange the truck, Then we could not figure out the car carrier, took us two hours, then one of the damn straps came off, so we had to fix that. (We noticed the truck kept jerking).

Now I'm super irritable because I'm suppose to be in Dallas by a certain time but it's not happening

Anywhoo, did your move go as you planned?

I've had many moves and I would say at least half of them had issues when it came down to moving day. There would be delays in loading the truck, which in turn would cause delays leaving on time. Or the previous companies I used to rent moving trucks (I stick to Budget now) would claim to not have my reservation or the wrong size truck. I've had weather delay my move.. sometimes for days.. or even strand me in a town I was passing through because traveling was too dangerous to continue.

It was maddening, but after I cooled down I would realize that it was nothing I could change or prevent and that no amount of getting upset would help put me back on schedule. Once I accepted that fact, I just took a few deep breaths and tried not to let the little things get me down because I knew that ultimately I would get where I was going and that was all that really mattered.

I'm sorry you were delayed but I wish you nothing but the best from here on out.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
We just moved 2000 miles - I built a lot of extra time into our itinerary to accomodate the unknown.

We left later than anticipated
We encountered 180 miles of closed highway on our route due to a freak snowstorm in N. AZ and had to reroute which changed all the lodging etc that I spent hours planning out.

Our second truck of household goods did not depart on time, then went into a weekend where it just sat, so we were delayed in our stuff arriving at our new home.

It's all part of the adventure. Take a deep breath and just go with it. Being irritated won't help. I have a quick temper and get annoyed easily. Thankfully DH is the go with the flow type. All in all, we arrived and we have some great stories

Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
I've only had one move that was difficult. It wasn't the actual moving day that was tough, but getting everything ready beforehand. The management company I rented from was very incompetent and it took nearly the entire summer to get everything arranged.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:38 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Yes the moves have always gone as planned.
Then again I always plan for everything to go wrong.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Yes, ours went perfectly, but the only thing I did was box our stuff. I left the rest to the experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues