Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 28,091 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but I've been scouring the internet all morning at work due to a recent problem I have encountered. I moved on the 1st of May into a one bedroom apartment. There are three units in the building; one to my side and one above me. The apartment is very nice, clean, and its a quiet neighborhood. My next door neighbor is very quiet (save for some activity late on Friday or Saturday night, which is no big deal, as I'm guilty too ).

What started to kill me was on Saturday night around 12am, I hear this reverberating "hub-hub-hub-hub" noise. It was loudest by my bookcase, and although quieter, still audible from my bed. Needless to say, I was up until about 3am before I took some NyQuil to knock myself out. I awoke groggy and bewildered on Sunday morning around 9am only to continue hearing this "hub-hub-hub-hub" noise. But like clock work, the sound stopped at 10am.

I took this opportunity to go over to their apartment and politely ask them what it was they were using from 12am to 10am. Apparently, its floor fan that was on and the sound of it vibrating on the floor was reverberating all throughout my bedroom. She offered to put in on her dresser, and we politely parted ways. The problem is that although it is quieter, I've become so tuned to the sound that I couldn't fall asleep until 2am last night and awoke around 5am. I just lay awake in my bed from 5am until I had to get up for work at 7am, when coincidentally she wakes up to, because I hear her fan stop.

My question is, what should I do? Should I go over again and ask them to maybe put a piece of carpet underneath the fan while its on her dresser? I did put my AC in the wall last night around 1:30am and I know that is what helped me drown out the noise and get at least some sleep, but I can still hear it!!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Just get a small fan or white noise machine of your own to drown out any outside noise.

It doesn't have to be loud, just loud enough to be a buffer against that fan.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
I dont think it would be improper to ask politely for them to cushion the fan. Maybe get them a simple piece of carpet sample or something else that looks nice. I need a fan and that is what we had to do to muffle the rattle against the floor.

Also, I want to say you will get over it when your "ear" becomes attuned to the noise.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Thanks for responding! I have a fan and I even bought a white noise machine, but to no avail. The sound is very low frequency, so it pierces through the sounds of the fan and white noise machine with ease. The AC I have is really heavy duty, and it blocked out most of the noise but I could still catch glimmers of it here and there, enough to grab my focus away from sleeping.

I like sweetana3's suggestion of giving them a small piece of carpet, I have some extra circular seat cushions from my dining room table that would work perfectly. I'm even considering offering her the white noise machine I have. Honestly, $60 is worth my sanity.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I also am sensitive to constant noises, so I get it completely.

Last week some neighbors half a block away were having some grading work done in their yard, and the workers drove a Bobcat machine back and forth over that yard for 2 straight days. I mostly work from home, and I had to leave the house a couple of times to get away from that constant low rumble.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM

Im sorry to hear that. That means you can also relate to the overwhelming calmness that washes over you when the sound finally stops.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Sometimes we as individuals just have to deal with the fact that the world does not revolve around us ... individually.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sometimes we as individuals just have to deal with the fact that the world does not revolve around us ... individually.
One of my most favorite posts, ever!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
If you're sensitive to noise then you have a sensitive nervous system. That has nothing to do with "wrong thinking" or some personal philosophy issue. It's a biological/physicial thing, like your eye color. People can't change it;there are just sensitive people who are hardwired to be that way.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
The "joys" of apartment living. Lifestyles of the "rich and famous"...those of us who cannot afford to rent a house, or buy a house...just end up having to adjust. Sadly. I live this way. And have just learned how to adjust to my economic situation, and lifestyle of poverty. I have upstairs neighbors, and just tune out all the noise. I have meditation music on my Kindle, and put head phones on before bed...that is how I cope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.