Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times

Advertisements

I have two HUGE metal fans to drown out any noise. No one, and I mean no one can wake me up when those are on and I can't hear anything outside.

The only downside to that is no one can reach me if there is an emergency. For instance if my house is on fire I'll just burn up and die.

If you're really serious about your sleep get a couple of HUGE commercial fans for your bedroom and you'll never hear anything.

Good luck~

Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sometimes we as individuals just have to deal with the fact that the world does not revolve around us ... individually.
I don't think the OP was being narcissistic, but has genuinely tried to solve a very real problem by being courteous to the neighbor, although to no avail. OP is simply asking for advice in how to solve something that has proven to be annoying. Phoenix Lady is right, some folks just can't drown out constant noise, especially when trying to sleep.

One can use industrial strength ear plugs to drown out constant noise like dogs or traffic. But, as chuck_steak pointed out, you also then drown out the sound of smoke alarms, or a ringing phone. It is a catch-22.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
I don't think the OP was being narcissistic, but has genuinely tried to solve a very real problem by being courteous to the neighbor, although to no avail.
Yeah, I don't think anybody deserves a personal attack for asking a question. That's what this forum is for.

The OP has gotten some good suggestions. I hope he finds something that works.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Sometimes we as individuals just have to deal with the fact that the world does not revolve around us ... individually.
I apparently have to spread rep around before giving you some, but wanted to say that this is very simple and very profound at the same time.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
The OP is entitled to sleep at night.

It appears to me your neighbor is willing to work with you so I suggest to continue to do that. If she suddenly becomes hostile to your plight I suggest you to go to the landlord. This isn't much different than playing loud music and partying all night.
However, it doesn't appear you are even close to that point yet. Noise at inappropriate times is inconsiderate regardless.

Earplugs are a great idea. I like the "pillowsoft" kind myself but thank goodness I rarely have to use them. After another attempt to get the neighbor to quiet the fan I would try and use them before making the 3rd attempt and then getting the landlord involved.

Best wishes to you.

Last edited by John13; 05-16-2012 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
The most effective ear plugs I've found cost about $24 for six pair, and can be found at earplugsonline.com.

They resemble the explosive C4, but after you soften them up they look like silly putty. They mold to the contour of your ear and almost totally block out noise and are re-usable. They take some getting used to, as they are denser than ordinary foam-type ear plugs.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

It appears to me your neighbor is willing to work with you so I suggest to continue to do that. If she suddenly becomes hostile to your plight I suggest you to go to the landlord. This isn't much different than playing loud music and partying all night.
However, it doesn't appear you are even close to that point yet. Noise at inappropriate times is inconsiderate regardless.

Earplugs are a great idea. I like the "pillowsoft" kind myself but thank goodness I rarely have to use them. After another attempt to get the neighbor to quiet the fan I would try and use them before making the 3rd attempt and then getting the landlord involved.

Best wishes to you.

I'm sorry, but a fan at night, removed from the floor at the OP's request by her neighbor, is VERY different from playing loud music and partying all night. If you think they are at all similar, then you're sadly mistaken.

One is something that any reasonable person would find annoying and that apartment residents should avoid.

The other is something that is a normal part of life and that most people would not find a real issue (on the floor, maybe - raised up on a table or chest of drawers, no). That the OP is hypersensitive to the noise is a problem for her, granted, and I feel for her but it's not the kind of thing that other tenants should be required to cater to beyond normal courtesy, which it appears she has already received from the neighbor in question. If they are not making noise that would bother 9/10ths of the people out there, they are not the problem.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 PM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
^
Noise at night is just that. If it is keeping a neighbor awake then it is on the person making the noise that is clearly preventable in this case to stop.

I am not "sadly mistaken" at all.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
BINGO!
If you are that sensitive perhaps you should consider moving into a house
(One that has a lot of acreage between neighbors.) Some people just aren't meant to live in apartments.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

Best wishes to you.

It is not a crime nor is there anything wrong with someone running a fan at night. How could the Landlord stop someone from using a fan? It seems to me, that there is some problem with the way the building is constructed, if you can hear a fan running from another apartment...the walls must be paper thin, with not much sound proofing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues