Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 PM

14 posts, read 23,652 times

Advertisements

Hi all from Hawaii!
Been lurking for awhile now so I figured I should post something...my husband and I have 4 kids (10, 9, 7, 4). We were born and raised here on Oahu for all of our lives and yes its beautiful but not worth the cost of living anymore...I always used to say that I rather be poor and live here than live anywhere else in the world....however it is hard to see the "paradise" when you're struggling to make ends meet and no light in sight...if we stay our quality of life will never get better...we are basically stuck where we are for the rest of our lives if we don't do something now...I'm tired of struggling to pay bills without any extra monies to do anything...I want a better life for my kids...I want to have a house that has space instead of this 1200 sq ft overpriced box we live in...i have been looking at the west coast and texas...California cost of living is high but not as high as here so I am figuring that since we've made it in hawaii for so long maybe anywhere else will seem cheaper??? My husband and I have never lived anywhere else so this is a VERY big move for us...I don't know where to start...feeling very overwhelmed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free2b-us View Post
Hi all from Hawaii!
Been lurking for awhile now so I figured I should post something...my husband and I have 4 kids (10, 9, 7, 4). We were born and raised here on Oahu for all of our lives and yes its beautiful but not worth the cost of living anymore...I always used to say that I rather be poor and live here than live anywhere else in the world....however it is hard to see the "paradise" when you're struggling to make ends meet and no light in sight...if we stay our quality of life will never get better...we are basically stuck where we are for the rest of our lives if we don't do something now...I'm tired of struggling to pay bills without any extra monies to do anything...I want a better life for my kids...I want to have a house that has space instead of this 1200 sq ft overpriced box we live in...i have been looking at the west coast and texas...California cost of living is high but not as high as here so I am figuring that since we've made it in hawaii for so long maybe anywhere else will seem cheaper??? My husband and I have never lived anywhere else so this is a VERY big move for us...I don't know where to start...feeling very overwhelmed...
If you can swing it try to visit these places. Even though Hawaii has humidity, Texas has humidity that I think is much more stifling than Hawaii (I've only been to Maui, not sure if that's different from Oahu). California might be more your cup of tea. I would normally say the coast is expensive but that could seem cheap to a person from Hawaii. On the coasts of Washington and Oregon the weather can be pleasant but it is overcast for weeks at a time. I've been to Seattle three times and only seen the Olympic Mountains once.

Please keep in mind I haven't lived in any of these places, so hopefully locals can fill you in a bit more. If these places don't work we can always use more good people in Wyoming. The winters might take some getting used to for you but I think it's the best state out there.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Thank you Wyoeagle I would love to visit first but there is NO way we can afford it...flying out of hawaii is expensive..I was looking at one way airfares to austin and it was over $900!!! i think that is the scary part too...not being able to see it firsthand...
Oahu is more humid than Maui (Maui is actually one of the cooler islands) but I don't think as much as Texas...

Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Kids'll do that.

The thing with the places with lower cost of living is the wages and salaries are lower too.
If you haven't even got the money saved up for airfare out of HI, then it's safe to say you're stuck there for a while til you can save up.

But I can't think of a place I'd rather be stuck in but that's me.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM

Thank you Cittic10...yup kids will definitely do that...the good thing is my husband can make a lateral move in his job so his pay will stay the same...as for saving...lol...that's a joke...we gotta move to save anything...catch 22 huh? we will be selling everything and use our tax returns to move...then start from scratch...I've been here my whole life...it's time to see what life is like beyond this rock in the middle of the sea

Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Tell me which parts of California or Texas you're considering and I'll bet I can do a pretty good pro/con for you.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
This advice isn't real exciting, but the first thing I always suggest is figuring out where you folks can find work in your chosen field. However, it sounds as if you already have this locked up? If so, then I would start by developing a good understanding of what your salaries & expenses will be and then compare that to the cost of living in the areas you are interested in.

If you're still undecided at that point, start looking in detail at weather, amenities, schools, etc. All the things that are important to you. No place is perfect but you want to match up your new place with your lifestyle as much as possible. Good luck to you in your search!

WyoEagle, I always love to see you post about Wyoming. After touring many states, my son has decided Wyoming is his favorite state (he usually vacations in the west yearly, including Wyoming). If he never has the opportunity to live there during his working years, he plans to retire there at the very least

Old 06-07-2012, 11:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I met a lot of folks from Hawaii in Veags...of all places....they had a "Hawaiian Club" with frequent luao's and BBQ parties, with a pig and everything. Lots of fun. Great people. I would always ask....why Vegas? I mean Hawaii is so great...well...the answers I got were similar to yours..."it is a rock, and you go to the beach.". Plus family can be a bit smothering there if you are related to everyone..

Yes...people do leave Hawaii and make a life here...and still have an "island" lifestyle with friends. Consider Vegas....lots of Hawaiian folks there...

Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM

Stillkit- In Ca we are looking at the san diego area...TX we are looking at Austin area...need to be within daily driving commute to the airport...thank you

Thank you daydreamin71...job isn't locked yet but we need to decide where we want to go before he applies for a transfer...as for weather? I know for sure I don't want 4 defined harsh seasons...don't think I'm ready for that yet lol!!! I want a good public school for my four children to go to but being that Hawaii school systems aren't exactly excellent (my good might be a different opinion from a parent who really sends their kids to a good school)..Right now my kids go to the best public school in the state if that even says anything lol...We like the outdoors, my kids (I've got 3 boys, 1 girl) like to ride bike, dirtbike, skateboard...normal overly energetic kid stuff lol!!!

Jasper-Vegas would be awesome but I don't think it's wise for my husband to be there!!! Like lots of Hawaii people he loves to gamble!!! lol!!!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Hmm...interesting. Well, I read that Texas and Arkansas have the lowest cost of living. Fairly temperate areas. Don't know about the schools...and yes...stay away from Vegas if your hubby likes gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues