Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:29 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

My nephew moved to Ventura from the East Coast as soon as he finished high school. He loves the beach, outdoors, mountain biking, etc. Due to personal issues he has never gotten much together job-wise, but is scraping by with his wife and adores his daughter, and they do lots of outdoor things. He loves it there as home like he never felt about south Jersey. (imagine that...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
I lived in Oxnard until I was six and a half, when I turned 19 I spent six months in Los Angeles, and I have visited Southern California and Ventura County many times since we have family down there. I am most close with aunt from Orange County. I have an uncle in LA, aunt in Palmdale, and another aunt in Mission Viejo. And my parents and siblings live in a rural community near San Luis Obispo.

I went to college in LA for six months, a community in SLO, community college in Santa Maria, and also finishing up at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

I have a hard time relating to people in my area. High school, community college, and now college it just not working. I have a city mentality. My mentality followed that from the community college in Santa Maria.

I have two job opportunities in Ventura County, and I am planning to marry a girl from Ventura County.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
As long as you can find a job that keeps up with the cost of living go for it.
The true test for an adult to what can logically become your home unless you are independently wealthy and/or retired. A lot of people relocate with dreams but dreams do not provide food, clothing and shelter.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The true test for an adult to what can logically become your home unless you are independently wealthy and/or retired. A lot of people relocate with dreams but dreams do not provide food, clothing and shelter.
This needs to be written all over this site.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:05 AM

129 posts, read 316,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
None of that is possible without a dream - that's how it all begins!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Yes, it is good to dream and if you hate your life's work or where you live, you have to feel you can change things for the better.

But, in our area there are entire families uprooted and homeless. They live in motels. In other areas, the same. You need a plan. First on the list is a way to make a living, and second is a way to be sheltered. Whatever you do, you need to see a realistic path for yourself besides a dream of a better life, a better job, a better family. And this is harder than ever to do because of the sorry state of the economy.

If things are bad for you now, you have to ask yourself if you can make things better for yourself right now. Can you find another income stream for you or your family? Can you get training, investing in yourself? Can you market your skills online? Can you find another church? Or another circle of friends? Can you get out of your abode and do things you haven't done before?

Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. The same mental habits, weaknesses, strengths, passion or passivity, impulsiveness or restraint go with you to the next place. This is strictly my opinion here, but I think if someone is planning to move to better oneself, the work begins with one's own self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues