Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,966 times

Advertisements

I am trying to be EXTREMELY logical about where I move to (maybe TOO logical), I want to make a smart decision that I don't regret down the road. I have narrowed it down to two cities, but I cannot decide which one to choose!!

My logical choice--my head--- is telling me to move to St Louis. I have a few family members there and a half brother I would like to get to know. It seems like a very cheap COL (well most anywhere is cheaper than San Diego!), artists' lofts, good variety of colleges because I may go back to school. But the weather and the crime are the drawbacks.

But my heart is telling me to move to Portland. It has a medium cost of living, I like the weather and the greenery and the ability to grow things and be near nature and near like-minded people into art and the environment and music, but I only know one person up there. And the job situation up there gives me pause.

I had a hard time meeting people here in San Diego and didn't know anyone when I moved here, I didn't really plan to be here this long but something way out of my control prevented me from leaving. So I just gave up after awhile. I seriously don't talk to anybody here, I'm about to scream and go nuts from the isolation. So I don't want to fall into the same dilemma wherever I move.

Should I go with my heart? Or go with my head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Well, if it helps I live in Portland. Forget the scenery for a moment. Jobs are difficult to come by and there is tremendous competition from the many, many others moving here as well as the unemployed due to many lay offs. Salaries except in the very high tech areas are lower for comparable jobs in other states. The cost of living is anything but medium compared to wages.

Housing is scarce. There is a 3% rental vacancy. Public transportation is being cut back. People have a reputation for not being particularly friendly to newcomers. I like the continually overcast weather and I don't mind the frequent rain but for those who like the sun it can be depressing. You won't get the extreme weather that St Louis gets though.

If you are going by the hype from the media, you may be disappointed. Have you spent a lot of time in Portland? Is there a special reason you want to live here?

I am telling you the negatives. I am sure you already know the positives or perceived positives. Some people move here and are extremely happy. But so many move here and are disappointed. I personally know more who have returned from where they came than who have stayed. Please choose carefully.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM

Yes, yes, that's another thing, the heart option may be overblown and totally unrealistic. I was up there for a few days to scout out colleges, but since I don't have a job (don't absolutely NEED one right away), the whole bleak jobs picture is stressing me out. It seems like everyone had a lot of diverse jobs that all paid really low wages.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Reread the last paragraph of your post. Then ask yourself "what am I going to do differently when I move to assure that I develop some kind of social circle. " the first answer that comes to my mind is to move to a place where you already have some friends or family. That sounds like St Louis, in this case.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Yes, yes, that's another thing, the heart option may be overblown and totally unrealistic. I was up there for a few days to scout out colleges, but since I don't have a job (don't absolutely NEED one right away), the whole bleak jobs picture is stressing me out. It seems like everyone had a lot of diverse jobs that all paid really low wages.
Yes that's typical. Many young people, determined to make it on whatever they can find, live together having several roommates. If you want to go to school here, maybe the college you choose can help you out with housing and a job.

Here's the thing, it's difficult but for those who really want to live here they find a way. The question is, is it worth it? Yes, for some it is and they try very hard to make it work. But if you aren't 100% determined, it can be a disappointing experience.

I think you will find as much art and music and those kinds of things in St Louis. I have only been there one time and was very impressed. But you probably know more about the city than I would. One thing you should do is make certain the things you are looking for in Portland exist in Portland. And of course, the same goes for St Louis.

It's a difficult decision I know. Maybe you can make a list of all the pros and cons of both cities. But be sure they are accurate pros and cons that you yourself have looked into to determine whether or not they are good for you.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That sounds like St Louis, in this case.
Yes that is very logical! I wrote the two cities on pieces of paper, put them in a hat and chose St Louis. It seems that all arrows are pointing to St Louis, the logical choice...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Yes that is very logical! I wrote the two cities on pieces of paper, put them in a hat and chose St Louis. It seems that all arrows are pointing to St Louis, the logical choice...
Good for you. I don't think you will be disappointed. I was going to ask you what was the biggest draw for you in each city. What does one have the other doesn't. But I think you know that now.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
I am trying to be EXTREMELY logical about where I move to (maybe TOO logical), I want to make a smart decision that I don't regret down the road. I have narrowed it down to two cities, but I cannot decide which one to choose!!

My logical choice--my head--- is telling me to move to St Louis. I have a few family members there and a half brother I would like to get to know. It seems like a very cheap COL (well most anywhere is cheaper than San Diego!), artists' lofts, good variety of colleges because I may go back to school. But the weather and the crime are the drawbacks.

But my heart is telling me to move to Portland. It has a medium cost of living, I like the weather and the greenery and the ability to grow things and be near nature and near like-minded people into art and the environment and music, but I only know one person up there. And the job situation up there gives me pause.

I had a hard time meeting people here in San Diego and didn't know anyone when I moved here, I didn't really plan to be here this long but something way out of my control prevented me from leaving. So I just gave up after awhile. I seriously don't talk to anybody here, I'm about to scream and go nuts from the isolation. So I don't want to fall into the same dilemma wherever I move.

Should I go with my heart? Or go with my head?
What do you mean by the job situation gives you pause? If that means that you don't have a job lined out there but one lined out in St. Louis, I would say go to St. Louis. I think moving somewhere where you don't know anyone is exciting. Take it as an opportunity to get to know yourself and reinvent yourself if you see that as necessary or something you want to do.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Bottom line is the 8+ hours a day you'll spend on the job,i'd go to the city with the best job.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,715 times
When someone's passionate about an area they tend to do notably better concerning many aspects in life.
If your heart's not in San Diego how can you expect your head to be?

Follow your heart on this and the rest will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues