Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

I am thinking, personally, a Toyota Corrolla, just won't be able to do it very well in the summer, pulling a trailer, pretty hot in those areas you are going to travel, and some hills...U haul will let you know if this is doable on your car...

I don't know...see if you can ship things instead. Or pack things, and have a friend send them to you when you get there. Personally, I suggest dumping all your stuff, except pets, of course, and a few personal items. Ship the rest using UPS. Buy used or cheap stuff when you get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:33 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I moved from North Texas to LA in a 1962 Chevy with way over 300,000 miles on it and everything I owned piled into every available inch of space. I made it just fine.

So can you. The only thing you're lacking is confidence to overcome any obstacle which might come up. I didn't need someone to hold my hand and assure me it would be alright. Neither do you.

Suck it up, grow up and hit the road. Either that, or stay home and keep quite about it.
If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. Nowhere in her OP did this woman ask if she should make the move or say she needed hand holding. It boiled down to one question - can her car handle it??? Nothing wrong with that question, tough guy.

She also said the secretary was an inherited piece and clearly she doesn't want to part with it. Can anyone read?

Jeez.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:04 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zullyquirke View Post
Don't really know what this has to do with "sucking it up" or "growing up," and keeping quiet about it would be a rather silly thing to do on a forum. The question isn't so much whether or not to make the move, but whether or not to make the move in a Corolla towing a trailer. If I had a truck this post wouldn't exist.

And it sounds like the solution is to call my dealer and get a realistic look at whether or not my car can handle it, in addition to adjusting my driving if I get the all-clear. Drive more slowly to reduce necessary stopping time, and maybe even practice in my own neighborhood with the trailer to get an idea of how my stopping speeds will change.

And the table could be disassembled, but the dresser and secretary desk can't. Which I might've been able to squeeze into the cab of my car if I wasn't also transporting pets that are taking up some of the seats in the way of crate space, unfortunately.
In my opinion, a 2010 Corolla with less than 50,000 miles is barely broken in. I don't think that's a problem at all. You'll want to have a mechanic look it over before you leave anyway.

The issue of towing a trailer, on the other hand, is something entirely different. I've towed trailers of all sizes, for many years. It can be a little tricky.

UHaul may or may not rent you the trailer, based on the weight/features of your car. Even if they will, I'm not sure that I (this is my opinion) would tow a trailer cross country with a Corolla. If you drive carefully, and slowly, it might not strain your drive-train too much. However, stability and stopping could present a serious problem.

My advice would be to go to your local UHaul. Hopefully there's a smart and knowledgeable person at the counter. Ask their advice and opinion, and go from there.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:14 PM

23 posts, read 154,799 times
A little belatedly, thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll be doing it in the winter instead of the summer, so hopefully that'll be a positive factor. I played with the uHaul site and it seems to think I can handle the smaller trailer, though I'm definitely going to have it looked at by a mechanic I trust for some honest facts on the realities of my car. I think I can probably pull it off since I'm downsizing a great deal of the things I own, but it'll really all boil down to what my mechanic says.

I'll try to remember to make a post about it either way!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Good plan. That route is way hot in the summer. Let us know how it works out.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Have you planned out how many days it will take you? I did it in 2 1/2 days. One day was 20 hours straight of driving at an average speed of 70 mph.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM

23 posts, read 154,799 times
I'll probably be driving more slowly than that to minimize strain, so I'll be stretching it over three days. I'll probably stop near El Paso at the end of the first day and then Tucson on the second.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times
Another thought may be to advertise for someone who may be interested in getting to LA to drive your car for you......and you could rent a u haul van for your stuff.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM

242 posts, read 350,960 times
Quote:
A little belatedly, thanks for all the advice, guys. I'll be doing it in the winter instead of the summer, so hopefully that'll be a positive factor. I played with the uHaul site and it seems to think I can handle the smaller trailer, though I'm definitely going to have it looked at by a mechanic I trust for some honest facts on the realities of my car. I think I can probably pull it off since I'm downsizing a great deal of the things I own, but it'll really all boil down to what my mechanic says.

The other thing you can do is rent a small Uhaul truck and a car trailer to put your Corolla on. The truck can definitely handle that kind of situation and you'd have all the space you need.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:

We did it in 2008 with a 2001 Ford ZX2 and a U-Haul trailer, and we're about to do it again this week. No problems, and we drove that stretch of I-10 - actually, we went from Tucson, Arizona to Wilmington, Delaware, and back. We just made sure to keep the speed reasonable (U-Haul recommends no more than 55 mph) and left lots of braking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues