Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,964,804 times

Advertisements

Hey all, My family and I are planning a move from Cali to NH in Dec/Jan. We are going to sell pretty much all we own, and purchase new stuff when we get to out destination. So we wont need a big moving truck. My question is, what would be the best way to transport our animals? We have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and a bearded dragon. One of my cats is pretty old and was in the hospital once this year. I am afraid the move might be too much for him. We were thinking of either flying or just going for the drive across country. I have heard bad stories of drugging your animals for a long drive. We just dont know what to do. I think we are leaning tward driving...sigh, but we arent sure. Both of my dogs get a bit car sick. I have heard of Bach Flowers to give them for stress. I might look further in to that. But any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,159,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hey all, My family and I are planning a move from Cali to NH in Dec/Jan. We are going to sell pretty much all we own, and purchase new stuff when we get to out destination. So we wont need a big moving truck. My question is, what would be the best way to transport our animals? We have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and a bearded dragon. One of my cats is pretty old and was in the hospital once this year. I am afraid the move might be too much for him. We were thinking of either flying or just going for the drive across country. I have heard bad stories of drugging your animals for a long drive. We just dont know what to do. I think we are leaning tward driving...sigh, but we arent sure. Both of my dogs get a bit car sick. I have heard of Bach Flowers to give them for stress. I might look further in to that. But any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I moved three cats from the UK to the USA earlier this year. I used a company that specializes in shipping animals and they were flown over in the cargo hold of a regular British Airways passenger flight. The company took care of everything on both ends...all I had to do was sign some forms and pay them. (If anyone's ever interested the company's name is AirPets, they're based at Heathrow in London, and they're fantastic.) I arrived in the USA the day before my pets did; they had to spend 2 days at the kennel in London before they could be shipped. There's no rule that says you can't travel on the same flight as they do, but it's not always easy to arrange to do that when you're dealing with shipping animals overseas in summertime; BA was the only airline that would fly them to Dallas. The only US carrier that would even consider touching my pets at all wanted to ship them to Houston...I was going to DFW. I didn't want to have to drive three howling cats from Houston to Dallas after they'd just been on an overseas flight.

Do NOT drug your animals for any kind of travel, and I would not drive any animal cross-country. Contact the airlines about having them flown cross-country as cargo. You may even be able to take 1-2 of them in the cabin with you.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:41 AM

755 posts, read 2,337,320 times
I would say it is personal preference. Only you know your animals best. When needed, my sister's vet allows her to give her yellow lab Benadryl to keep him calm. Like when he had a cyst removed from his elbow and had to be non active for a few days.
If you decide to drive, I would check with your vet before you leave to see if he/she recommends anything to keep them calm for the drive.
We've driven with our dogs in the past...only 6-8 hours but nevertheless it is very hard b/c you have to stop more frequently for potty breaks and water.
Good luck!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 10,154 times
Hi; we drove our 7 year old Lab across the country with no problems--she loves car rides, and enjoyed exploring at our frequent "bathroom breaks." We considered flying her, but I'd heard such horror stories about it--i.e. the cargo area was kept at freezing temperatures; the animals must be drugged, which is extremely stressful on them--not to mention the fact that the animal will be alone, without the comfort of the owner. I just didn't feel comfortable subjecting my dog to that sort of trauma. So, we drove with her, and it was a great experience for all!!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,181,639 times
I think we are leaning tward driving...sigh, but we arent sure. Both of my dogs get a bit car sick.

If you can, put your animals in a second vehicle, all in their own carriers. You can cover them with a blanket that way and it will help keep down the car sickness and general stress. Stop frequently and let them get some fresh air and bathroom breaks. Treats and toys help too.

If you decide to fly, check with the airlines. They regularly fly animals and can give you advice. Don't forget your vet. They'll be able to help you too.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 27,535 times
If you decide to fly with a pet on a commercial flight, you need to know that airport security will make you take your pet out of the carrier and carry him thru yourself. They put the empty carrier on the belt and thru the scanner. You put the pet back in on the other side. I assumed I would be carrying him thru in the cage and they would run the detector over the cage the same as they do when people are searched. Fortunately, I had drugged my cat and had no problem holding on to him. Without the sedative, I think I would have had to miss the flight and go home. (I really didn't have a home to go to, as the closing sale was happening as I was trying to get thru security. ) It was a very stressful situation, and airport security was a real jerk about the situation.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,159,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbosu View Post
Hi; we drove our 7 year old Lab across the country with no problems--she loves car rides, and enjoyed exploring at our frequent "bathroom breaks." We considered flying her, but I'd heard such horror stories about it--i.e. the cargo area was kept at freezing temperatures; the animals must be drugged, which is extremely stressful on them--not to mention the fact that the animal will be alone, without the comfort of the owner. I just didn't feel comfortable subjecting my dog to that sort of trauma. So, we drove with her, and it was a great experience for all!!
The company I used to fly my cats over from the UK will not take a drugged animal, and the only animals they had ever lost over the years had been drugged by their owners. That's one of the reasons why they keep the animals for 1-2 days in the kennel before their flights...to give the animals a chance to get over any sedatives they've been given.

Many airlines now will refuse to accept a drugged domestic animal in the cargo hold, and deaths in cargo holds due to temperature are rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues