Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 15,289 times

Advertisements

Any help will help a lot

I did live in Anchorage, AK last 6 years and passed thru divorce last year w no kids. I wanted to move out of Alaska so bad last year this time, and quit my state job in March and then lost my mother last May from stage 4 cancer who lived in Turkey. I'm just glad to see her in last moments.

In October 2012 I packed my everything and drove thru Alcan to Portland, OR. I thought it would be good place to start in Northwest. It did not take me too long to notice it was a bad place to start over due to lack jobs. After freaking out about not able to get a job and being homesick, 2 weeks ago I drove back to Anchorage w all my stuff in my car in that crazy snow.

I'm currently staying w a closed friend of mine who has kids, she helps me a lot. But I really don't wanna live in Anchorage. I'm just not happy and can't handle the amount of snow and dark anymore. And the most important thing is knowing my ex living here makes the things so hard for me! I don't even wanna go out or do anything(including job search) At the same time I owe 30k on my credit cards and car payment( which is a prius, best gas saver car made everything possible for me) I have been living off credit cards in last 3 months and just making minimum payments. Sooner possible I wanna start making payments and pay them off.

I wanna start over in a new city so bad, I just don't wanna fail anymore and come back to Anchorage, AK again. I'm willing to drive another 3000 miles thru Alcan if I know I picked the right city to start. At the moment I'm thinking about Denver, CO. I came across with lots of jobs listed on local Denver CL. I drove cab, shuttle and delivered pizza for many years in AK. I'm planning to get a delivery job right the way after I move. then go from there..

Please give me advice about moving. I'm planning to leave Anchorage the day after Christmas. Thanks so much for everyone for any input and wish you beautiful holidays with your loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Your first chore will be to get a job, any job, so that you can get a little extra money for making the move to another place.
I understand that you don't like where you are now, but please stick it out a little longer until you have a little more money or at least get your car and credit cards paid.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Heimann,
The problem isn't where you are living.
The problem is you are miserable about your divorse.
You have to start to live again, not think about your EX.
You quit your job, did she work there too? Is that where you met her?
Go out and look for another job as soon as possible.
Get back up on that horse man and ride it!
You will be fine. Live your life and start to enjoy it again.
Life is sooo short, don't waste any time being miserable.
Get a new job, get your own place (no matter how small),
and get some new hobbies, start saving so you can pay off your
credit cards and eventually travel and visit other places if you want.
Good Luck to you!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I agree, moving anywhere without extra money is kind of tough. I would only do that in an extreme emergency. You don't sound like you want any more credit card debt. Denver has a variety of jobs, but contrary to popular belief, it is suffering from lack of jobs and especially lack of well-paying jobs as well. The cost of living isn't all that great in Denver, though it is better than others.

Have you thought about Seattle? It seems closest to you. I don't know much about it, maybe others can chime in on that one if you're interested, it's a decent-sized city.

If you have your heart set on Colorado though and you do decide against Denver, how about looking into Fort Collins, Greeley or Colorado Springs? These are close areas as well with jobs, proximity to the mountains and possibly a lower cost of living than Denver. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:39 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimann View Post
Any help will help a lot

I did live in Anchorage, AK last 6 years and passed thru divorce last year w no kids. I wanted to move out of Alaska so bad last year this time, and quit my state job in March and then lost my mother last May from stage 4 cancer who lived in Turkey. I'm just glad to see her in last moments.

In October 2012 I packed my everything and drove thru Alcan to Portland, OR. I thought it would be good place to start in Northwest. It did not take me too long to notice it was a bad place to start over due to lack jobs. After freaking out about not able to get a job and being homesick, 2 weeks ago I drove back to Anchorage w all my stuff in my car in that crazy snow.

I'm currently staying w a closed friend of mine who has kids, she helps me a lot. But I really don't wanna live in Anchorage. I'm just not happy and can't handle the amount of snow and dark anymore. And the most important thing is knowing my ex living here makes the things so hard for me! I don't even wanna go out or do anything(including job search) At the same time I owe 30k on my credit cards and car payment( which is a prius, best gas saver car made everything possible for me) I have been living off credit cards in last 3 months and just making minimum payments. Sooner possible I wanna start making payments and pay them off.

I wanna start over in a new city so bad, I just don't wanna fail anymore and come back to Anchorage, AK again. I'm willing to drive another 3000 miles thru Alcan if I know I picked the right city to start. At the moment I'm thinking about Denver, CO. I came across with lots of jobs listed on local Denver CL. I drove cab, shuttle and delivered pizza for many years in AK. I'm planning to get a delivery job right the way after I move. then go from there..

Please give me advice about moving. I'm planning to leave Anchorage the day after Christmas. Thanks so much for everyone for any input and wish you beautiful holidays with your loved ones.
I'm reeling with shock that you made it out of Alaska, only to turn around and make that treacherous trip back You were in a position to travel to any other state besides Alaska and job hunt.
Just not understanding why you did that---but it's done now. I guess try to find a job where you are now; then next time prepare better.
Good luck.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
There are decent jobs in ND.
Check out that forum.
Best of luck!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Well, we've done that alcan & it can be tough in bad weather.

I'd sure want studded snows on that Prius if it were I!

Plus emergency clothes, sleeping bags, candles, chains, food.... come to think of it, I'd wait until late spring.

Heimann, have you considered a closer move up to the valley? Might be work up there. Or how about Fairbanks?

Best of luck!

Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 15,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I'm reeling with shock that you made it out of Alaska, only to turn around and make that treacherous trip back You were in a position to travel to any other state besides Alaska and job hunt.
Just not understanding why you did that---but it's done now. I guess try to find a job where you are now; then next time prepare better.
Good luck.
It was a bad idea to listen my old friends from AK, when they saw me keep getting DEPRESSED in Portland and they insisted on me being back in AK. Well you live and learn, it never remains the same once you leave something and try to come back..

@bongo; I have new studded tires, otherwise there's no way I would drive back in the middle of winter. Alcan drive might be fun in the summer, but definitely pushes your sanity limits in the winter.. I'll take my time and plan my trip very well.

I just can't enjoy AK anymore and it's really pushing my limits to think that I will keep living here another year. It's small town no matter how big the state is and tired of bs with people here. I did lot of mistakes in past and unfortunately learned from them.

Sometimes in life you need scenery change, people change around you for a fresh start and I'm passing thru this exactly. I'm making minimum payments on my credit cards and car for a short term solution, but also I'm aware that I can't play this game with card companies in long term... I believe in myself that I'll pay off all my debt once I'm feeling different than I'm right now.

Thanks guys for all your comments and support again. It's good to know all these beautiful people exists in the world. I've decided to make this moving to CO with thinking it'll be a new page in my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues