Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:40 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,564 times

Advertisements

Jeannie thank you so much for the link to that thread. I got some great advice and I don't feel like we are bad parents for moving our kids. I know since we are moving to a colder climate it will be an adjustment but my kids will adjust, and if they graduate from high school and want to come back to CA I understand. I won't like it but I will understand. I know my oldest, who is a college freshmen, will not want to go with us back to PA and that is going to be hard for me because we are very close. I also know that we have texting, the phone, Skpe, email etc to keep in touch.
I am most concerned about my 10th grader because we will leave at the end of this school year, but when I think about it my oldest had totally different friends as a senior than she did as a sophmore. I also know that my kids are pretty outgoing so they will be able to make friends easliy. Probably easier than I will. I guess as a parent we tend to look at the bad and not focus on the good. There will be many benefits o moving such as a bigger house, no sharing rooms, being near family, being close to NYC which they love, being able to afford a vacation every year and no tax on clothes and shoes! That's huge for two girls!
Anyway, any advice and or experience moving kids across the country would be so welcome I love to hear the stories of others who have done it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 AM

415 posts, read 2,333,945 times
Default Tell them soon / keep them involved and informed

I hvae been in the moving business for 30 years, my best advise to parents is get the kids involved, helping to pick out a house, a school a neighborhood, pack, what to take and what to dispose of, the more involved they are the better they will handle it. Kids are great at bouncing back, but they must feel like you care about how they feel!

And if all else fails tell them you are taking them for ice cream in the new city and state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues