Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times

Advertisements

So I'm out of here 5/7 and I did a mapquest and it has me going all over FL connection I75 to turnpike and then I75 again after Orlando for some reason. I'm thinking of shooting up the turnpike to where it meets I75 in Georgia and then taking that all the way to the continuing roads. It also has me getting off I75 in Georgia to head 15 miles out of the way towards Atlanta only to rejoin I75 again. Wouldn't I just stay on I75 the entire way???

I'm looking at fastest as it will be me and a cat so I don't want to spend like 4 days driving. I don't mind driving so doing it for 10 hours is not a big deal to me. Did CLT to Mia in 13 straight hours. Any advice from recent drivers going in my direction??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Wouldn't I just stay on I75 the entire way???
because I 75 doesn't go the whole way.
Get west to I-75l take that as far as Atlanta; then go north to hit I-70

Quote:
..I don't want to spend like 4 days driving.
oh well.

It's better than 2000 miles (per google) and 30+ hours behind the wheel.
Even with a driving buddy that will be hard to do in less than 4 days.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:30 PM

382 posts, read 868,092 times
You can run I-75 across alligator alley and up to Atlanta, GA. I would look at cutting across I-10, I-20, or I-40 and working your way to St. Louis or Kansas City, it's a straight shot to Denver from there. Hell, shoot right across I-40 to Albequrque, NM and right up I-25, that's not a bad drive. You can easily do it in 3 days if you don't mess around and drive at least 12 hours a day. I made it from Washington DC to Denver in 2 days one time. I don't recommend it and it was A LOT more than 12 hours a day. With the speed limits up there now and everyone except Virginia allowing radar detectors you'll make good time.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
No I know I can do it in 3 days but the directions were all over the place. I don't want to cut across FL on the bottom on I75 to snake up the state. I'd rather just go up turnpike and catch it up there. It's worth the $20 in tolls to save myself the extra 90 miles cutting across alligator alley. I plan on staying on I75 as long as it tells me too but I just can't figure out why in GA is has me doing a 15 mile detour off I75 to only get back on I75.

My friend just drove up there from Tampa in 4 days towing a trailer at 65mp so I know I can do it in less time at a higher speed. Plus he started late etc..

Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No I know I can do it in 3 days but the directions were all over the place.
Miami to Orlando to Atlanta To Memphis to St Louis to Denver.
There are other routes but none shorter.

Quote:
I know I can do it in less time at a higher speed.
If you don't stop to eat, rest, or refuel... you can do it at a very low speed too.
2200 miles / 72 hours (3days) = 30mph

At posted hwy speeds though it's no less than 30 hours behind the wheel.
Even with Olympian endurance you'll still need to stop some (eat, rest, fuel).

A 3 hour break at every tank fill-up to eat something and nap...
still adds 21 hours to the 30+ hours of drive time.
That's just a hair over two days en route. Sound like fun? LINK

Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 AM

382 posts, read 868,092 times
himain, sometime the directions you get from those things like Mapquest depend on the settings, like 'shortest route', 'fastest time', 'no toll roads', ect. I know on my Garmin GPS if you use 'fastest time' you get sent on some really out of the way places just to avoid 1 or 2 traffic lights, it seems to help though. Perhaps it was just a setting issue that is giving you those weird directions.

Also, you may want to check with Georgia Dept. of Transportation website, maybe there is a long term construction project in that area with the 15 mile re-route. Just in case.Anyway, have a safe trip and Good Luck in your new endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues