Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 AM

8 posts, read 11,998 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I have been prowling on this site for a while but this is my first post. Here is my situation. I have lived in the Reno/Tahoe area for my entire life (since 1 year old) and I basically just need a change of scenery. My family and I are always better when we aren't around each other often. I also hate going to college with people I have known since pre-school, it just doesn't afford me the growth and independence I would like from college.

So I am 19 and have a year left of my associate's degree. Once I get that, this time next year, I want to be able to move to somewhere new! I am hoping for the east coast but really anywhere that is more than a day's drive from where I live now would be great.

My job is online so work is not of concern. I just need somewhere with a decent university that I could get in state tuition after living in the state for a year. I want to be a chemical engineer right now but that could change so I would like to have the option to change my mind within a university.

I also would like to be somewhere that has one bedroom apartments in decent neighborhoods for around $500-$700 a month with groceries and things that are on the cheap side. I do not mind having to drive about thirty minutes for cheaper groceries either.

Weather isn't an issue because Tahoe is really snowy and cold 9 months of the year and Reno gets pretty hot in the summers. I can adapt to the weather. I just am looking for a place I can meet some cool people and get my degree while earning some independence. I am not looking for somewhere I will have to be forever, just about three years while I get my degree then I can move somewhere else if I do not like it there.

Thanks so much for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM

281 posts, read 643,531 times
I have lived in Reno 40 years...I'm planning a move to Dallas in January. You say you don't get along with family when you're around them too much, why do you want to be within a days' drive? If you want to come back and visit you can always fly. If you want to go to the East coast why not check it out? I have never really looked at the East coast but I have looked at several areas...Seattle, Portland, SF, San Diego and LA. I kept going back to Texas not only because I have some people there, but the cost of living is so much better than the West coast. Also, there are so many different schools to choose from, unlike Reno, I am thinking of getting my Masters there after a year or so.

What kind of things do you like to do for fun? Would you be moving alone or with someone? And if alone, are you ok being alone for the first time in your life in a new city?

Good luck, you've got your whole life ahead of you. And remember, nothing is permanent! If you move somewhere and it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,604 times
My favorite cities are San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, LA (not necessarily in that order of excellence). The problem with those cities is that they are so expensive. I doubt you could rent a dog house in your price range. HOWEVER, Boston is SO great -- I wonder if you could rent a large room. PLUS -- you don't need a car in Boston. You can walk all over the city. PLUS it is the university and college capital of The US -- it has many more of them, within a 30-mile radius -- then any other city in The US. But the greatest thing about Boston is the college people. And so much ethnic diversity! Kids come from all over the world to go to the best colleges there. However, Boston IS expensive. And year-round it was just too humid for me.

List of colleges and universities in metropolitan Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might look at Pittsburgh -- it's having a big resurrection. It's also still very affordable. I'm seriously considering moving there myself. Go to the Pittsburgh forum and see what you think. I've never met a nicer, more helpful group on C-D.

List of colleges and universities in Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I guess I didn't explain myself very well. I am moving by myself and want to be MORE than a day's drive away. I do not want to stay in California since my sister is moving to San Diego and other places my parents would probably just show up whenever they pleased (their favorite activity is to call me names and cuss at me for just being alive.) I have sorta been thinking of maybe Florida or the Carolinas? I don't know if any of you have lived there and have an opinion.

I knit, cross stitch, read, rock climb, and play video games so quirky cities are better but anything goes right now. As for Texas, where specifically do you suggest? As for Boston, is there a neighborhood a little bit out of the city that is cheaper? Or a town close by that is cheaper and still safe?

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-05-2013, 01:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Plus 1 on Pittsburgh.....Nix the Carolinas.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,682 times
I'm wondering why you mentioned Florida and the Carolina's and skipped the coast of Georgia?? If your looking for beautiful surroundings, apartments starting at $500 per month, 3+ colleges in the area, beaches,nightlife, and a welcoming community..............SAVANNAH,GA.
We like "quirky" , hell we invented it

Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidethelines12 View Post
I do not want to stay in California...
Get a transfer to one of the CA state colleges.
On the coast or down in SD is best but... which really doesn't matter... does it?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:57 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
College will be less of an issue if you just stay in CA. Lots of quirky places in CA.

But other ideas: San Marcos, Tx. Eugene, OR. Jacksonville, FL Baton Rouge, LA

Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,604 times
I've been thinking -- I'm thinking that what is fueling your desire to move away is basically your family. And that desire could change in a year. A lot can change between 19 and 20. Not to mention your job and the country's economy.

Moving to a completely different place -- where you know no one -- may sound adventurous -- but it can be a lot more difficult than it seems. Unless you move into a furnished room or apartment. Do you have a credit rating??

Plus, I didn't realize you were a young woman when I replied to your OP. This probably is going to sound sexist (and, yes, it probably is sexist ), but a young woman -- moving to a completely new place -- where you no know one -- it makes me extremely uncomfortable. Probably because I do know just how dangerous it is 'out there'.

I realize you didn't ask for opinions on your move but I gave mine anyway. As for Boston and surrounding area -- check out Craigslist for Boston. See what comes up.

My suggestion is to do what a lot of us do: Go to a city's forum (in this case, Boston and whatever other big city you want to check out) and stay on there for a while. Do some research on the Internet.

And BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO MOVE ANYWHERE -- visit once in the winter and once in the summer.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM

I do NOT live in California anymore, I was forced to move to Nevada last year and lost my residency so I would have to pay out of state in California. Also, just asking for city suggestions, do not need a life lesson. I did not want to complain about my family but I do not need to have the **** beaten out of me by step dad #4 thanks very much. My sister is really mean to me because she thinks I got it easier than her growing up because I have actually met my real dad but again not true.

I am just looking for a cool new experience for the rest of college I have already lived on my own in a brand new city when my mom abandoned me right after moving to Reno and I did fine, paying rent and utilities, finding food that was affordable but also safe to eat, etc. I have been looking at cities in these forums but the thing is I just don't know what cities are out there! Thanks for the help, keep the lectures out of your responses please, I was valedictorian of my high school, have had a job since 14, and have had to take care of myself most of my life because of parents who are never around. I can handle moving to a new city by myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues