Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 19,549 times

Advertisements

Im wanting to Move to Ireland on my own next year when i turn 18.. Sounds extreme but i want to start a new life from scratch. If anyone has idea's or a friend in Ireland to give me advice on a cheap place to rent and where in Ireland to go.. Not that worried about the neighborhood.. just wanna be near people and a town.. and Any idea on where to get a job there with just average high school education. Don't mind doing hard work. Maybe Construction.. just need enough to get my by until I really start moving up in the Irish world. any Comments to this thread would be great. I believe that you can email me too. Anything actually helpful would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
I was in Ireland on vacation in October and visited 5 towns. Galway is a really nice city. Not as large as Dublin, but very vibrant and with many young people. If I moved to Ireland, I think I'd move to Galway. Check out the webiste Travel Buddies. There are many Irish people on there and like this site, you can post questions. People are super nice.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 9,780 times
Wink Moving to Ireland

Hi TooYoungToSettle,
I moved from Palatine IL (a suburb of Chicago) in Dec 2005, to a town called Drogheda, in Ireland, which is about 25miles North of Dublin.
All I can say is, when you move, come on a trial basis. This place is TOTALLY different from the USA. It took me almost a year to adjust, and even so, I am still not well adjusted, and moving back to USA in March. It has its positives and negatives, but on the whole, it is not as easy as it looks, to get used to it. Visiting vs moving are two totally different things. My advice would be not to Dublin, too expensive, too crowded, people there are impersonal and cold. Move to Galway or Cork. Even so, do not expect to be welcomed in open arms. The irish claim to be open and warm and welcoming, but in reality, they are very reserved, and guarded when it comes to meeting new people. It takes months for them to trust you enough to invite you to their house for a cup or tea, or even go out for drinks with you!
I think you would be better off moving to England for a start, and then eventually move down to Ireland. (that's just my opinion).
Check out the website Daft.ie : Property for Sale in Ireland, Overseas Property, Property to Let, Houses to Rent, Accommodation Sharing, Parking Spaces in Ireland (Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Belfast) for apartments and forums on moving to ireland, etc.
Feel free to ask me any questions, should you have any. I will be selling my car, so you can buy it from me when you come over
Anyway, hope my answer helps...

Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 19,549 times
Thanks alot for advice..
From what i understand the economics arent the greatest there.. is there any one type of job that you'd think is needed? because if and when i go i wanna find a job so that i can start getting used to those customs

Old 01-26-2008, 10:03 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,835 times
Hi, I'm currently living in Illinois but am originally from the UK. I've visited both Dublin and Belfast and I have to say that Belfast is probably the better fit for you. Dublin is very expensive and quite touristy in parts and is a very wealthy area. Belfast however, is picking itself up from the troubles it had in the past. It is now absolutely safe to go and visit, live, whatever and the locals are very welcoming. You will have to tune into the accent though, it is quite strong! One other thing to consider is have you looked at the legal side of things, getting a visa etc. Good Luck with your new life. Scotland and England are great places too.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:51 AM

261 posts, read 780,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
Hi, I'm currently living in Illinois but am originally from the UK. I've visited both Dublin and Belfast and I have to say that Belfast is probably the better fit for you.
The problem with suggesting Belfast is that its part of Northern Ireland, which is still part of the UK therefore the OP would be looking at dealing with UK immigration. Dublin is in Eire which is its own entity entirely, being part of the EU using Euros etc.
My son (UKC) and his now wife (USC) moved to Galway in 2006. They originally went over as she had a scholarship to the college. He managed to find a job and got his papers in order resonably quickly however once her scholarship was up she found she couldnt work until they got her paperwork in order which took a little longer my son had to file an affidavit of support showing he could support her on his wage alone so she could stay.
Which ever way you go make sure you look into immigration and the possibility of long term stays before you move.

Last edited by New_Horizon; 01-29-2008 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: rewording

Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 9,302 times
hi everybody... this is pharmacist from india and working in bahrain i wana to move to ireland .can anybody guide me the way of moving to there plz . mail me [email]taq_ahmed@rediffmail.com[/email]

Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,218,011 times
Unlike the USA, Ireland's immigration laws are strictly enforced. You better research that before you make any major decisions. Not as easy as you think to just pick up and go. My extended family has been moving back to Ireland over the recent years and while my family members got in pretty easily...their significant others had a tougher time. In their case, it helps that other extended family members were there to welcome them an they had jobs ahead of time.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,860 times
Visit first...I love Ireland, been there a couple of times. Beautiful country, great people, but a very different culture and for an 18-year-old American it is going to be extremely challenging to adjust to that way of life. Especially on your own. Do your homework regarding visa's, work, immigration, cost of living, the whole thing! It would be a very expensive mistake so be sure of yourself before attempting.

And then...enjoy a lovely country with warm, friendly people...and be prepared to talk about American politics because they are fascinated by it!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Can't stress enough that the first thing you need to do is to thoroughly research the immigration laws as you will not be able to work in Ireland without the necessary visas and they are NOT easy to obtain. If you have family in Ireland who will sponsor you you have a leg up but without that, at 18 years old and with only a high school education it's going to be well nigh impossible. It's not like moving between US states. Dreams are wonderful but reality can be a stinker. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues