Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 AM

294 posts, read 372,448 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am moving from the Midwest to the East Coast. Generally when I have moved in the past, it was immediate. This meant I would just have my mail forwarded starting right away. However, due to the availability of the new place, and when I am moving out, there is a gap of around 25 days. I was hoping for some input on what would make the most sense with my mail in the meantime. One thing to keep in mind is I will be visiting my parents before I move East, and the cross-country drive from there would require me to drive through my current city. My options, as I see them:

A) Put my mail on hold at my current address. Before I make the drive in mid-September, stop by the local post office on my way through town. Pick up my mail and fill out a change of address card to have the mail forwarding start that day.

B) Change my address to my future address and immediately put a hold on it. Pick it up at the post office out east once I get moved out there.

C) Forward the mail to my parents' house for the 3 weeks, and then do a second change of address to the new place.

Any thoughts on which of these is best? Or some other idea that is better, but not listed? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:03 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Option A sound best, Least chance of mail getting missdirected.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Keep in mind some mail will be return to sender,I had my bank cards returned and cards were cancelled while away,wife found out pumping gas,had to do change of address to daughters house to get them from bank and also some government will not be forwarded,we were away for a few months.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,658 times
I'm going though the same thing right now. I'm moving to Portland next week but escrow on my new place up there doesn't close until Sept 16. Since I'll be in temporary housing for awhile, I put a hold on my mail online via the USPS website. Just before I move into my new place, I'll put in a change of address and have all the mail forwarded. You can do all this online.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 PM

294 posts, read 372,448 times
Thanks for the input everyone. I did put to have my mail start being held tomorrow. I put that it will be picked up by me.

I didn't realize I could change the address later online and have it all auto-forwarded. Very interesting.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,633 times
This is something that I have wondered what the best solution. When I moved last summer I waited until I had an address to have my mail forwarded. I did eventually get some mail but wonder if I got everything. I have heard you can forward your mail to the address of General Delivery with the zip code and I believe you put 9999 as the extended zip, don't quote me on it. If I have to move again I think I will try this method. Then I believe you can pick up your mail or change your address once you have a permanent one and then have it forwarded to you. Good luck with your move. So much **** to worry about.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Here's another option that has worked well for me: Go to one of those mail drop services like MailBoxes, Etc or the UPS Store. Get yourself a box there and have all your mail forwarded immediately. Get one as near to either work or where you might be living as possible. I did that when I moved to Phoenix and never changed the address, even though I've moved twice since I got here. It has been wonderful. They accept packages for me and have all the things I need to use from time to time, like passport photos, notary services, mail forwarding, etc.

I wound up keeping the address because we had some little cretins on our street where I moved who thought that hitting mailboxes was great sport in the middle of the night. Police reports and neighborhood watch didn't do a lot of good. While everyone else was worrying about their mail, I knew mine was secure two blocks away. Something to think about... And - it's wonderful to be able to travel and NOT have to tell the mailman to hold your mail.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
This is something that I have wondered what the best solution. When I moved last summer I waited until I had an address to have my mail forwarded. I did eventually get some mail but wonder if I got everything. I have heard you can forward your mail to the address of General Delivery with the zip code and I believe you put 9999 as the extended zip, don't quote me on it. If I have to move again I think I will try this method. Then I believe you can pick up your mail or change your address once you have a permanent one and then have it forwarded to you. Good luck with your move. So much **** to worry about.
I was just going to mention general delivery. You can pick it up at the post office everyday or couple days. Call the post office to ask how to do it. We've done it before when we were on extended vacation. It worked fine. It's free too.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I'd get a new post office box where you're moving.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
All of these suggestions will work. Of your proposed solutions, I'd choose A, if you are sure you will be back in town to pick up your mail. I'd want to know though if someone else moves into your new place, and has their mail sent to your old address, would this be a prob?

How we did it was we pre leased an apartment, and changed our addresses on everything right before we left town. In your case, I'd recommend contacting your charge card holds and notifying them of your move cross country. And, when you pump gas on your way to your new home, you will be asked to key in your zip code. The zip you key in must match their records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues