Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

I had the gas turned on at the new place, got one car load from the storage unit and unloaded it. Contemplating going thru some clothes for the next two hours.

Moving makes me short tempered. Things I normally let slide, I lit right into SO tonight...not that he did not richly deserve it though...

Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
You may have seen this statement from me on one of these threads before, but I know the best way to wipe out major crime in this country. Do away with the death penalty. Convicted of a major felony? Penalty is moving people for 5 years. Crime would disappear in a couple years. lol

Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Oh man, this is the thread for me.

Having difficulty getting motivated here. We have 6 weeks until a really complicated move (international, with a stop at a second European country for the holidays) that we are doing on our own. Well, my parents are helping at stages, but its up to us to get going here, and we have both been absolutely flattened with colds/flu for the last few weeks. Its frustrating to be laying in bed thinking about what you should/could be doing and not have the energy!

I have been purging/sorting since the summer, and now we are planning for our big moving sale in two weeks. Gotta round things up, sort, and price for the sale. Need to make a list of certain items with prices to send around to friends/family first. Have a bunch of things to craigslist as they are specialty items worth some cash. Have to start boxing up things that will be shipped next summer, things that will go in suitcases in December, things that will go USPS now to friends in new country.

Sort Sort Sort.... throw throw throw.

So I have a strategy to attack this problem but now its dark when I get home from work and its just easier to procrastinate for another day. Then I go to work and hate what I am doing and wish I could be at home packing. Meh.

I know - I will start small with two boxes full of pens that don't work. And then move around stuff on basement shelves into one side Sell and one side Pack. Yes - that I can do!
If you have a Dollar Tree nearby, you might want to stop in there and see if they have garage sale stickers. When I had sales last year they were so easy...already printed with prices from 10 cents and up. Just peel and stick and go. And price stuff LOW to get rid of it. After my final sale I loaded directly in the car and took to Goodwill...none of it wen back in the house

Old 11-05-2013, 06:02 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
My move is about two months away, and I am currently in "get rid of stuff" mode. So far I have:

Taken a bunch of dresses and suits to the dry cleaners to get them ready to take to the consignment shop.

Taken several boxes full of books to Goodwill.

Taken several large trash bags full of clothes to Goodwill.

Emptied out most of the file drawers full of papers, putting some in boxes to take to our police department's free public shredding event next week, and putting other papers that don't need to be shredded in the recycling. Got four file drawers worth of stuff down to less than one drawer full.

Next is to go through the closets and get rid of clothes and shoes that haven't been worn in the past year, and take them to Goodwill. And then start in on the tchotchkes and decorative items.

It's exhausting, but I love the sight of an empty shelf.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
My move is about two months away, and I am currently in "get rid of stuff" mode. So far I have:

Taken a bunch of dresses and suits to the dry cleaners to get them ready to take to the consignment shop.

Taken several boxes full of books to Goodwill.

Taken several large trash bags full of clothes to Goodwill.

Emptied out most of the file drawers full of papers, putting some in boxes to take to our police department's free public shredding event next week, and putting other papers that don't need to be shredded in the recycling. Got four file drawers worth of stuff down to less than one drawer full.

Next is to go through the closets and get rid of clothes and shoes that haven't been worn in the past year, and take them to Goodwill. And then start in on the tchotchkes and decorative items.

It's exhausting, but I love the sight of an empty shelf.
It is SO addictive! After I did some more purging weekend, I literally looked around and thought "What else can I throw out?" I am down to almost nothing, darn it!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Yes, you almost get into a frenzy or manic phase after awhile, I have thrown away a few things and regretted it, but things can be replaced.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Default whew...

our move is 7 weeks away...yikes! Today is 'clean out the freakin' yard day so all we have to do is water
and not have to worry about anything else. Next w/e is the plant sale...so today is 'everything' outside except the screens...we'll do that prior to walk-through. Have 'mini' walk-through scheduled w/LL in two days for check-list (if any) of what she would like to have done.
K

Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM

Another load out of the storage unit. Not really doing too much, but every day, I do one thing towards the move. One room a day.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 PM

228 posts, read 664,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If you have a Dollar Tree nearby, you might want to stop in there and see if they have garage sale stickers. When I had sales last year they were so easy...already printed with prices from 10 cents and up. Just peel and stick and go. And price stuff LOW to get rid of it. After my final sale I loaded directly in the car and took to Goodwill...none of it wen back in the house
This is an awesome tip I never would have thought of. Thank you!

After sorting things in the basement, we may just be having two sales. Urgh. Whatever furniture doesn't go next week will have to go that second to last weekend I think.

Where does all this paper come from!?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
I threw out the broken wind chime and packed a box of collectible dishes. We aren't getting too serious about moving until my tenant moves out of my other home and I sell it. That's not happening until the first of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues