Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
We were missing a lot of our forks/spoons/knives. Yesterday, we went back to the old house and looked in the dishwasher and sure enough, there they were.

Cat

Noted!!!!!!

LOL!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 PM

94 posts, read 204,458 times
Hi --- just getting started. Over 20 years here on 30.5 acres in the desert and we're moving in July. I have been pretty much immobilized just thinking about it. We did comps and unfortunately our area has not bounced back real estate wise. We have leased the property for two years and have a property manager handling it. Of course, Friday the hot water heater went out and we have a leak in a drain pipe downstairs. I think our house is rebelling against us leaving her after so many years. The hardest part for me isn't leaving here, it was re-homing our horses.

Two years ago we bought lake property and my husband is finally retiring from teaching the end of the month. We aren't moving the majority of our furniture as we have beds, etc at the lake house I bought there. And, if it isn't sentimental or personal items/art, it isn't going. I am donating pretty much everything my girls don't want. Not even selling --- I am not comfortable with Craigslist and people coming out here (we're really remote) to my home. The local library will get my books and the local animal rescue will get all pet items.

I had the moving company out Friday and am waiting on the estimate but it shouldn't be outrageous. I have hired a local company to come the Monday/Tuesday before the move to pack and clean the house. Movers will come Wednesday and hubby and I will drive down to LA Thursday evening with the dogs. My daughter and her husband are driving our two vehicles with our dogs. They will leave early Friday and hubby and I will fly out Friday afternoon. The kids wanted to do that so we didn't have the long 3 day drive. They will fly back Monday night and the movers should be there that week. No rush on that because we have beds and the basics at the lake house.

Once school is out the end of the month, hubby and I are going to go through everything we are not taking and will toss everything we don't donate. So much stuff accumulated over the years and I am going to make sure that I keep it pared down when we move.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
Good luck, AdMaven, your plan sounds solid.

Congrats on settling in Cat!

Safe trip down, Restrain!

Keep up te good work kab0!!!!! I still haven't tried CL.

FLCracker, are you near Ocala? Where are you moving?

cmjones, we are headed to FL, too.

Okaaaaaay; so Sunday my BFF drove my late aunt's car (gift to us) to my place. There's a bunch of stuff my other aunt and my mom want me to ship to them. Here's the list:

Ancient laptop almost two inches thick when closed
Three oriental rugs, not as nice as my grandma's which are soft and thick, these are thinner like a heavy drape
Her phone and answering machine with 27 messages on it
Twenty pounds of letters and cards from her trips abroad
an old Bose radio, the white plastic has started to yellow
handpainted flowerpot from Portugal

Seriously?

Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
This week went so much smoother than last week-but everything is here!!!! And for the most part, everything is where it is supposed to be. YAY!!! (But have found a few boxes that should have been somewhere else. At least it was not like last week.)

Now, we have the fun part of unpacking, finding places for things-and maybe getting rid of some stuff. I know, I know, we should have done that BEFORE-Oh well.

We moved from next door to the Congregational Church to next door to the Catholic Church. lol. Before we moved, we called the Congregational Church and asked them if they wanted to buy it. A bunch of people from their board of directors came over to look at the house. They have a board meeting next week or so and will get back to us on it. That would be so great if they decide to buy it because that would mean that we wouldn't even have to list it. It would be ironic, too because we had a lot of issues with them. lol.

Cat

Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
I understand issues with being next to a church. He lives across from an African-American Pentecostal Church. He gets the message in voice and LOUD song every Sunday.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 AM

94 posts, read 204,458 times
Question: Do you recommend paying the driver after the delivery (no personal checks--must have cash, cashier's check or MO) or using a credit card and paying up front?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 AM

I would do credit card so if they screw up you could dispute the charge. JMHO, YMMV

Cat, glad this week is better!

I would love hearing the choir on Sunday.......

Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I would do credit card so if they screw up you could dispute the charge. JMHO, YMMV

Cat, glad this week is better!

I would love hearing the choir on Sunday.......

With both churches, I have never heard the choir but we hear the bells. The Congregational just has "bong" type bell. But the Catholic has carillon bells which is really nice.

Cat

Old 05-20-2014, 12:54 PM

Loove those, my mom is near a church that hasthem, as well as free concerts with the huge pipe organ

Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
We moved locally 3 weeks ago and it was a nightmare, with 7 movers running all around and us with no control over anything--too many workers and too much confusion...

After reading wonderful advice on the C-D by a poster* who split his move in half and had the workers come on 2 different days, we are thinking of splitting up our next move. We moved from a good sized home to a temporary apartment. A good portion of our belongings went to a big storage unit. After suffering thru a grueling move, we are trying to come up with a better solution for the final move. Since we had personally taken a bunch of items to the storage unit, we are considering pulling out stuff from the unit that we could carry over to the new house ourselves. Then when the heavy stuff is left, having the movers take those things. We could separate the 2 moves by a week or two, to give us time to unpack and place the items we transported ourselves. It seems so much more relaxed and then we wouldn't have the huge mess we had in our apartment, with boxes everywhere. (*Wish I could remember that poster's name to thank him/her.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues