Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,148 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am from Madison, WI and am moving with my boyfriend next August. If you aren't a University student, there really isn't much here for you and I don't think I could stand another Badger football season. I want to move to a city about the same size or larger (Madison has about 250000 people) in the US that has a large population of young adults (I'm 22)... but isn't based around a college. Does such a place exist?

Ideally, I would like to live somewhere that has a relatively low crime rate and has a lot of opportunity in creative fields.. freelance art, graphic design work, etc. I would also like to live somewhere the community values local business. Good food, nightlife, and warm weather a plus

Cost of living isn't too much of a concern, as long as it's not too crazy, like New York or San Francisco.

I have been searching a lot on my own, but I haven't found a place yet that really sticks out to me.
Does anyone have any suggestions? All advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariyaiyb View Post
I have been searching a lot on my own, but I haven't found a place yet...
It doesn't exist.

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Focus on the job.

Get the experience and advancement opportunities you need and that will allow you
to achieve the OTHER goals your life will have in a few more years.

Meanwhile... grind it out.
Double up in a rented house with another couple. Entertain at home. Save.
And travel.

In 3-5 years poke your head over the wall and re-evaluate.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Hello!

I am from Madison, WI and am moving with my boyfriend next August. If you aren't a University student, there really isn't much here for you and I don't think I could stand another Badger football season. I want to move to a city about the same size or larger (Madison has about 250000 people) in the US that has a large population of young adults (I'm 22)... but isn't based around a college. Does such a place exist?

Wow, my experience couldn't be further from yours. I moved to Madison at 23 after undergrad and had a great time there until I was 30 or so. I did end up doing grad school for the last 2 years of that, but it was an afterthought. I always thought Madison was the ideal small city to be a post college 20 something. Not sure what suggestions to give you.

You could just move to Chicago or the Twin Cities like lots of people do.

Go bucky.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Ideally, I would like to live somewhere that has a relatively low crime rate and has a lot of opportunity in creative fields.. freelance art, graphic design work, etc. I would also like to live somewhere the community values local business. Good food, nightlife, and warm weather a plus
Check out Durham, NC which has a population of 235K.

It has a major university (Duke) but life isn't centered around it as it doesn't have the town-gown relationship that most major universities have in their respective cities, probably because Duke is an elite private university with few alumni ties in the area comparatively speaking. The city has a sizable creative community, excellent food scene, is local business supportive, has decent nightlife options and a young, well-educated population overall. The climate while not "warm" is on the mild side, with four evenly divided seasons.

Visitors Main | Durham, NC

Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Berkeley, CA

Yes, it's near San Francisco but cost of living is more reasonable, albeit on the high end.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
You don't think UC Berkeley dominates the culture there? I went only a few times when I lived in SF, but it seemed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues