Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

This isn't a specific question this a philosophical one.

I have been on C-D for months and I have seen a repeating meme of moving when you can't find work. One question I always ask is can you do it with it. I mean if you think about it if you have little to no money to move elsewhere for a job (let's say out of state for argument sake of unemployment benefits.) I have seen posts where people say they do it with $10 to their names and I throw up the BS flag because my meter broke from that statement.

I have to ask, is it humanly possible to survive moving when you have a very tight budget say under $100) without using credit cards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:06 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
With the price of gas today that $100 isn't going to go very far. That would be 3 tanks of gas in my car that gets 25 mpg in the city. I don't see how it is possible.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Under $100? Probably not, but I've moved from Boston to Madison and SF to Boston with only a thousand or so and no job prospects.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:10 PM

28 posts, read 65,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Under $100? Probably not, but I've moved from Boston to Madison and SF to Boston with only a thousand or so and no job prospects.
How did you do it, without ending up homeless?

Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
If you are getting unemployment benefits, let's say $250 a week. Your rent was $500. You gave notice to mve, and ar still getting UI, so, you move at end of month, and have your rent money, at least $500 to move.

Assumption, you sell stuff, or put it in storage. You move with your car, limited belongings.
You can do car camping for a bit, walmart parking lot. You find a room to rent, and start doing day labor rigjt away, or continue to receive UI while looking for work.

This can be done, because I have done it.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
I never spend less than $2k to move...truck costs alone rack it up. If you had no money to your name I would assume you sold all your possessions and are moving with a suitcase or two, couch surfing, taking buses, maybe doing odd jobs on the way to your destination, maybe having friends or family spread out around the country to lend a hand along the way.

But for me to say, hey, I think I'll move to another town without a dime, I don't even know how that would happen.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you are getting unemployment benefits, let's say $250 a week. Your rent was $500. You gave notice to mve, and ar still getting UI, so, you move at end of month, and have your rent money, at least $500 to move.

Assumption, you sell stuff, or put it in storage. You move with your car, limited belongings.
You can do car camping for a bit, walmart parking lot. You find a room to rent, and start doing day labor rigjt away, or continue to receive UI while looking for work.

This can be done, because I have done it.
I am not saying your example can't happen. I've just seen the whole well I can't find a job and have $10 to my name so I will load up my car and move where the jobs are. Those two have a lot of differance in the examples.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
When I was about 20 I had a system whereby I could carry all of my belongings on my back and in my two hands. Large hiking backpack on my back, electric typewriter in my left hand, and broken down bicycle in my right hand.

I couldn't do that now, but as I get older I realize that most of what I accumulated over the last 30 years is just junk. I am thinking of ways to get rid of it.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
...is it possible to move when you have a very tight budget (say under $100)?
Actually moving... to include hauling or shipping a load of crap some distance
along with your self and then setting up camp in some other relatives house (for free)
would require limiting the move to a very small radius... like one or two tanks of gas.
Has anyone invited you to use their spare bedroom or their couch?

In the adult world, where people pay rent and buy their own food... it'll take 1000's.
It's hard to go away for a weekend and not NEED TO spend more than $100.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-03-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 PM

189 posts, read 239,864 times
Where do you intent to move? From buckeye to phoenix, it's about 50 minutes. So it is not that far. If you have a car, drive your car; if you don't have a car, can you bike? take only the necessary stuff. Possible to find a shelter somewhere, then try to find a job as soon as possible, I mean any job, like waiter or hard labor, to start to make some money and save as much as you can. meantime, keep looking for a job.
10$ is tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues