Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,934 times

Advertisements

I'm a professional relocating to a new state for a new job. I've been a homeowner since 1996, so I don't have anything to offer in the way of pet/personal references from a prior landlord. I'll also need to secure a place before I have a first paycheck (although I have an offer letter). What is a landlord/property management company going to want to see from me? Bank statements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,700 times
We owned our home for 15 years so were in the same boat when we rented a house this past summer. We filled out a pretty detailed survey and of course there was a credit check. I would have been hard pressed to find a landlord of 15 years ago. We were approved very quickly. I think when the landlord sees that you were a responsible homeowner with good credit, that goes a long way.

Your offer letter should also suffice. My husband had to get one from his HR and they obliged. He found us a house the first weekend he got here.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,934 times
Thanks, Siggy. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll have to deal with the pet issue as it arises, but I'm hoping that I'll get the benefit if the doubt on that one given the totality of the circumstances.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,954,475 times
Glad to see this post--we are moving & haven't rented since 1985! . I'll remember your tips!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Thanks, Siggy. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll have to deal with the pet issue as it arises, but I'm hoping that I'll get the benefit if the doubt on that one given the totality of the circumstances.
With regards to pets---we also have a dog and very frail cat. We fudged a bit (at our realtor's urging) on the weight of our dog. We had to be very specific on the breed but took about 10 pounds off his weight, lol. Our cat who isn't long for this world wasn't mentioned. She is confined to a small area now to not cause any damage to carpets, etc so I don't feel badly about not mentioning it. Just ask your realtor how you should handle pets and how much to divulge.

I do think that landlords look at the total package. We had one landlord falling all over themselves trying to get us to rent from them. Their house was a bit of a dump so we decided on the less dumpy one. And the place where we are renting really does show rental wear and tear so isn't like dog is going to further add to the problems. In fact, my husband and I had to nag the landlord to do things like fix the roof because it has holes in it. Isn't impacting us in any way but sure can damage his investment. The house has a number of problems which really should be fixed. A shame since it is a nice house in a great neighborhood but has been neglected. Then again we are super vigilant about house repairs so hopefully, the landlord does appreciate us looking out for him. He has repaired the sprinkler system which was never used by previous renters, the oven which was never used, and hired landscapers to trim the ungodly jungle outside so he isn't all that bad. Just make sure you have a backyard of sorts and a fence that is functional for your dog and you are good to go!!

Good luck! We rented in a really competitive rental market so there is always hope.

Last edited by Siggy20; 01-16-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
We owned our home for 15 years so were in the same boat when we rented a house this past summer. We filled out a pretty detailed survey and of course there was a credit check. I would have been hard pressed to find a landlord of 15 years ago. We were approved very quickly. I think when the landlord sees that you were a responsible homeowner with good credit, that goes a long way.

Your offer letter should also suffice. My husband had to get one from his HR and they obliged. He found us a house the first weekend he got here.
We hadn't rented since 1970! They do a credit check. I think we provided a local reference, if memory serves, which was our adult child. I think the credit check would be sufficient though. And the place DH found allowed pets, or at least one pet. But you will pay more per month, probably.

And it is expensive to apply. I think you pay for the credit check basically.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,669 times
90% of rentals in this tight market say No Pets but I'm in one of those now; many owners put that to make it easier on them but, if they like you, will allow a pet.

So if you have trouble with the selections contact those that don't say ABSOLUTELY NO PETS - DON'T EVEN ASK!

Good luck with your move

Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
We were concerned as well and had no problem. I think if you have good credit, that is the main thing they are looking for!

Old 01-17-2014, 05:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
I hadn't rented in a long time, and my last rental was to a private owner who didn't report anything to a rental database. The credit check they do is generally just to see if you have broken any leases or been evicted. I also didn't have a job and all they wanted was for me to pay an extra month rent. No biggie.

I also got my apartment with my 2 chihuahuas and 2 cats, no problem. Of course my dogs are small, so that helps!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM

245 posts, read 956,401 times
My husband and I have been renters for the past six years and have moved to different states during that time. We've rented from private homeowners to property management companies. To be quite honest I preferred going through a property management company. Dealing with one of the owner's was somewhat of a nightmare. Repairs were easier with a property management company. Sometimes trying to get the owner to do the repairs or even get in touch with them was a bit of a nightmare. With that being said, the property management company had us fill out an application which allows for you to put your income and employer in, they pulled our credit and was mainly looking for evictions we were told. They allowed a pet with a non-refundable pet deposit (which typically is about $250). We had to have the pet deposit, a month's security and a month's rent all up front. Also, there typically is a check-list they give you that you either do with them or your first day moved in and then turn it in, this is VERY IMPORTANT. You check off any damages that you see in the home. I was very, very picky and noted every little thing wrong because I didn't want us being blamed for anything. When we moved out of the home we had to leave it cleaned, carpet professionally cleaned and my husband even spackled any little holes where we hung pictures and he painted. Yes, he went alittle overboard but we got our deposit back without any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues