Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if transplants who moved to their current destination over the past 5 years or so would do it again. Give us your thoughts on how you gained or maybe lost on the decision you made back then before "bottom" fell out of the recession.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Yes, because I received relocation packages which paid all my expenses including realtor commissions and packing and shipping costs. This allowed me to leave CA at the peak and move somewhere that didn't bubble so I retained my CA equity. CO and AL didn't fall much from the peak so moving equity from CA at the peak pretty much stayed even in CO and AL. Had I stayed in CA, I would have lost at least half my equity.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Yes I would no doubt about it . The opportunity to get out of florida came and with me losing a 40 thousand dollar a yr job and losing my house because I lost my job . Florida is going downhill quick and I came to Ohio and got a job in three wks paying almost 2/3 of what I was making . Yep and housing is cheaper here too . got a nice apt and sure dont pay anywhere near what I was going to pay in florida . Yep yep no doubt about it I would do it all over again .

Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 PM

604 posts, read 856,006 times
Yes, I would do it again. But I would not stay as long as I have; I should have just concentrated on finishing my education instead of wasting time hanging on to a job that was going nowhere. I should be out of Miami already and I can't wait until the day comes. It's an OK place, but I'm over it and there's nothing left for me here.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Tough question to answer, I came to Miami for school.. ending up deciding I wanted to do something else and that something else wasn't offered in my university or the other universities in the city. On top of that there are not many jobs in that field to allow me to move back. That being said, I think the city is amazing and if I truly was given a good opportunity to move back (not too sure how) I'd take it in a second!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Tough question to answer, I came to Miami for school.. ending up deciding I wanted to do something else and that something else wasn't offered in my university or the other universities in the city. On top of that there are not many jobs in that field to allow me to move back. That being said, I think the city is amazing and if I truly was given a good opportunity to move back (not too sure how) I'd take it in a second!
lol to the person who gave me reps.. i like miami and i'm moving to LA hahahha

Old 05-22-2010, 06:28 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I'm wondering if transplants who moved to their current destination over the past 5 years or so would do it again. Give us your thoughts on how you gained or maybe lost on the decision you made back then before "bottom" fell out of the recession.

I just left Alexandria, VA after 6 years there. I hate that city with a passion now but if I had to do it again I would move. But what I would do differently would have been to either to go into the military or go away to college instead of working and going to school in Alexandria.

Moving to Alexandria when I was 16 did give me better opportunities but it did give me a lot of heartache also.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:08 PM

349 posts, read 887,545 times
Default I'll say "Yes"

I had a good job in L.A., but it wasn't exactly putting me over, and it was a struggle to pay everything. Add to that the traffic (i.e. second job=no time at all for a life), I just didn't see the sense in paying the "sunshine tax" anymore. Seemed that everyone who had cash there really enjoys it, but that wasn't going to be me anytime soon, and I don't want to be required to make 6 figures to just survive. So...

I moved back to Wisconsin (hometown) with a cushion, and even though it took forever to find work, I think I did the right thing. I'm closer to family, have a tiny commute and there's enough entertainment around.

IMO, cross-country moves are no problem if your young and/or rich. In our economy, spouses are moving for work, leaving the family in the house, just to get a check to pay the bills. It's as bad as I've ever seen it in my 40 years.

At my age, before I move I'd need to know I have a) a job b) friends/family to help if there were trouble and c) savings. In no other scenario would I even think about.

I sometimes wish I'd stayed put, but with the recession, I can't say for certain it would have been wise. If I were laid off, I would not have been able to make it long in between jobs, and that is terrifying.

At least here in WI, if I ever get laid off, unemployment covers rent & my bills without stress, and I can bring in extra money from hobbies (less competition); things that won't happen in LA, Chicago, SF or NY.

Did I lose valuable work experience I could have gained? Probably. Would I have gotten ahead any sooner than I am now? Probably not.

Money is a big consideration, so if you truly hate where you are, plan smart, plan well, and you will be fine

Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
hmmmm.....tough question. I certainly knew I had to leave my home state of MI because of the job situation. We moved for a job opportunity for my husband. I am finishing my degree in design and didn't do enough research for me. I tend to put my hubby and child first. I do not see a lot of opportunities for me and what I went to school for. Making friends is a lot harder than I ever imagined. Still don't have any. Not sure if its my new locale or the people. BUT I own a beautiful house that I never thought was possible (cost of living is cheaper here). I still feel a little awe when I pull in the driveway. Sometimes I wonder what could have been if we held out a little longer for a different locale but then again, I could be starving to death. I do not miss the days of being very broke.

Last edited by fallingwater; 05-30-2010 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: spellings

Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
We moved to the coast of Massachusetts and have absolutely NO regrets. Good thing we are retired though -- this place is for millionaires. If you live in closer to Boston though there are jobs, especially medical related. High cost of living but for quality of life I don't think it gets any better than this. Not much of a recession here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues