Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 PM

7 posts, read 68,078 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. My dh, two young children and I relocated to a new city in the same state (AL). Due to unforeseen circumstances (our house not selling), we felt we had to move back to our old town. We have been back 7 months now and I am still miserable and desperately want to move back to where we originally relocated. I am having a little trouble convincing dh to do it all again though. Has anyone else gone through this? How did you handle it? I hate feeling like this and know that we made a huge mistake coming back.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:13 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
Hey I can relate, although I haven't moved back and I don't own a home. I moved for a job. I feel like I have no roots, no home.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:36 PM

486 posts, read 982,050 times
Default Funny you should mention.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilyon View Post
I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. My dh, two young children and I relocated to a new city in the same state (AL). Due to unforeseen circumstances (our house not selling), we felt we had to move back to our old town. We have been back 7 months now and I am still miserable and desperately want to move back to where we originally relocated. I am having a little trouble convincing dh to do it all again though. Has anyone else gone through this? How did you handle it? I hate feeling like this and know that we made a huge mistake coming back.

I relocated from Ohio to Texas, I lasted six months. I decided I wanted to move back home because I could not afford to live there. The moment I pulled off the expressway back into my old city in Ohio, I said "what the H*** did I just do". That was five years ago. I have thought about going back ever since. In the meantime, I finished my masters degree and advanced my career. This time when I relocate I will be in a better position.

Don't give up!! I have waited on the right time to leave again and I believe I will have a job and be relocated by the end of the summer. I always say OHIO will be here, if it doesn't work out then I can always come back but I may not always be able to leave.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 68,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
I relocated from Ohio to Texas, I lasted six months. I decided I wanted to move back home because I could not afford to live there. The moment I pulled off the expressway back into my old city in Ohio, I said "what the H*** did I just do". That was five years ago. I have thought about going back ever since. In the meantime, I finished my masters degree and advanced my career. This time when I relocate I will be in a better position.

Don't give up!! I have waited on the right time to leave again and I believe I will have a job and be relocated by the end of the summer. I always say OHIO will be here, if it doesn't work out then I can always come back but I may not always be able to leave.
Thanks for the response. I'm glad to know I am not the only one this has happened to. About halfway through the trip back to my old town, I knew I had made the wrong decision, but it was too late to turn back at that point. Since then, i have been planning to go back (fixing up my house, paying down debt, etc.). Like you, I am hopeful that we will be back by the end of this summer/early fall and I do feel a little better knowing that we will be in a better position also and that we will never doubt our decision again.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Doing the exact thing right now. Moved for a job halfway across country, and loved it. Had to move back to where we were due to family issues (parents) and the minute we landed back here we both knew it was a huge mistake to be back. For 2 years we have listened to the kids asking when we are going to move back home (even though they were all born here). Next month we are going back to where we belong, just waiting for school to get out, and the house we are buying to work through the details until closing.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:25 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,234 times
This has been the series of posts I can relate to the most...I am worrying about the EXACT same things you guys went through...And been posting one post after the other about what I should do. This has answered all my questions.

You wont know till you try, and you can always go back.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:59 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
I relocated to buy a house andget married. I thought, as many people told me, that I would love Seattle. Well, I don't.

I desperately want to move back to Sacramento, but then am also worried about uprooting my family and what if it's not like it was? All I can do is cross my fingers

But I know what you mean about being depressed - I'm severely depressed because of my relocation

Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 AM

20 posts, read 113,761 times
I love this forum! You all validate some thoughts of mine and my husbands as we prepare to make some big decisions about moving. My mom is from Calif. and my dad is from Pa. where we are still located even my mom. I say that because my parents divorced and initially my mom wanted to move back to calif. or seattle where she had family. But for some reason it didn't feel right to her. She always says she was homesick for 20 yrs. Then someone gave her a housewarming gift once that said "bloom where you are planted". And thus she decided to do just that. And my thoughts have been if there is a desire or reasons to relocate you have those desires for a reason whether it's home or somewhere else away from family I'm going to try to bloom. That's not to say there wont be location mistakes along the way or other moves but it's so hard to get rid of those desires and you'll never know until you try. I commend all of you who have tried and even though it hasn't always worked out like you thought at least you tried. We will all find that place where we know we can bloom. It may just take some searching. Good Luck!!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:41 PM

454 posts, read 688,356 times
LOL, I am laughing at the people who said they moved, and then moved right back to where they came from, because I have done the same thing!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
For me, any regret concerning my big move 3 summers ago is not about wanting to return to the place I moved from. My regret has more to do with not checking out all of the places on my short list, and buying a another house near the top of the buble. I fell asleep at the wheel and didn't see this crash coming. We'd be sitting real pretty if we'd have just rented instead of buying. As it stands currently, we have a paper loss of approximately $30K on the value of the home we purchased. There are other places I'd rather be living, but we are not about to put our home on the market at this point in time. Even though I'm far from being content here, I have no desire to go back to where I was living before I made the big move. All things considered, I'm happier here than I was at my last place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues