Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,290,916 times

Advertisements

I have a 2014 Fiat 500L. It's a little 4-door, FWD grocery getter. It's nothing exotic or crazy. But it doesn't appear in the database at Hertz/Budget, therefore they (customer service) tell me they cannot even rent me the tow dolly and/or car hauler. I think it's simply a case of a database not being updated, but Hertz/Budget customer service claims that their database is updated frequently, and if a vehicle doesn't appear on it, it's because the builder/supplier (identity not-disclosed as proprietary) of the equipment has said it's not compatible with the vehicle.

To head off some suggestions, I offer:

1) Its a long-distance, one-way move, so Penske isn't an option.
2) U-Haul's site includes the 500L, towable on the dolly. But I've found their trucks not as good as Budget's.
3) Yes, I can possibly swap cars with my husband for the few months I'll be in the new location before he comes out to join me (his vehicle is on Budget's list).
4) I have a query in to Hertz/Budget corporate (not optimistic I'll hear back).
5) I have a query in to Fiat (not optimistic they'll have any information for me).

So, what gives? Has anyone dealt with this issue? Is the Budget/Hertz dolly any different from the U-haul dolly? Has anyone rented the truck from one vendor and the dolly from another? Will they even do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:57 PM

Nevermind. It was as I suspected -- database not updated. Once I got to corporate-level complaints, it magically got straightened out.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
Question Penske local only ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I have a 2014 Fiat 500L. It's a little 4-door, FWD grocery getter. It's nothing exotic or crazy. But it doesn't appear in the database at Hertz/Budget, therefore they (customer service) tell me they cannot even rent me the tow dolly and/or car hauler. I think it's simply a case of a database not being updated, but Hertz/Budget customer service claims that their database is updated frequently, and if a vehicle doesn't appear on it, it's because the builder/supplier (identity not-disclosed as proprietary) of the equipment has said it's not compatible with the vehicle.

To head off some suggestions, I offer:

1) Its a long-distance, one-way move, so Penske isn't an option.
2) U-Haul's site includes the 500L, towable on the dolly. But I've found their trucks not as good as Budget's.
3) Yes, I can possibly swap cars with my husband for the few months I'll be in the new location before he comes out to join me (his vehicle is on Budget's list).
4) I have a query in to Hertz/Budget corporate (not optimistic I'll hear back).
5) I have a query in to Fiat (not optimistic they'll have any information for me).

So, what gives? Has anyone dealt with this issue? Is the Budget/Hertz dolly any different from the U-haul dolly? Has anyone rented the truck from one vendor and the dolly from another? Will they even do that?
Nice you got a response from Budget, but when did PENSKE stop doing long-distance one-way rentals ?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Huh. Maybe they still do. I tried to get a quote a while back and it wouldn't let me do it. But just now it did. Maybe a glitch on my end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues